Paul McCartney releases surprising new single 'Get Enough'...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lazydynamite, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mkirk

Mkirk Forum Resident

I think it was a present (haha he should have put in an exchange card for some of you) but still in an odd-ball prosaic eccentric way - which is Paul's way -he just decided that he'd give his fans something to enjoy - or something to b*tch about which is also something quite a lot of them enjoy. He's a lovely old bloke, who's as rich as creases and he doesn't have to have a logical reason for doing something - after all doing things there's really no logical reason for has been serving him well for many many decades :) I think it was a "why the hell not" decision.

I didn't especially like it, the last 45 seconds was great tho. Kind of like bad sex...

I kid, I kid.

2. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

If one of Egypt Station Deluxe unreleased tracks is that good, and goes viral, a new round of marketing campaigns could send this thing through the roof again.

Either that or push Nothing For Free like there’s no tomorrow to jumpstart others that may be late to the party.

Which then begs the question: Egypt Station Deluxe 1 or 2 CDs?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  3. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I think it's sad when the people who like this song criticise those who don't for being closed-minded haters and those who hate the song criticise those who like it for being fanboys.

Personally, I just accept that it comes down to one's individual taste and not any kind of overall "attitude".

4. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Maybe the ES deluxe version has been scrapped because someone in team McCartney advised him to use the leftover session tracks as the basis for a new album scheduled for later this year:

- April: McGear deluxe
    - June: Album with ES outtakes and 2-3 newly recorded songs
    - September: Abbey Road deluxe
    - November: London Town/Back To The Egg/Live 1979 super deluxe

5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Macca has always dropped songs from every album, every decade. :edthumbs:

6. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Actually no he didn't, he said that before my post. My post was in reply to what he said.
    Take a look, it's only two pages back ..

Frank likes this.
  7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I still think it will come as the album was very well received, they will want go with the momentum. Maybe early springtime...

8. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I'd be happy with a new album this year derived from the Egypt Station outtakes. As long as this material gets released somehow, I'm ecstatic.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  9. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

There's a lot of irony in that, no? (not in what you said, because you're 100% right...rather in the mindset of those who think themselves so "open-minded")

10. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Oh I’m sorry, that was my bad.

Still man, I’m all for differences in opinion as long as it’s civil. If I were you I’d work on that. I am not saying that to be mean or whatever, but there’s no use for it in a discussion. I enjoy the different perspectives.

MPLRecords and Frank like this.
  11. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

We waited about 45 years for Wild Life. I suppose I can wait some more for Deluxe ES.

I wonder whose idea it was to use auto tune? Tedder's or Paul's? Still, one suggested it and one agreed and it. Just happens to ruin it for me. I like the song otherwise.

One dud in a ~60 year career makes for some good stats.*

*Your dud count may vary.

MPLRecords likes this.
  12. Steve M.

Steve M. Forum Resident

So if someone says "It's a painful listen" then that comes across to you as they're thinking their opinion is the only one that matters? Not to me it doesn't. They're just sharing their opinion. That's all. Nothing about that suggests he doesn't think anyone else's opinion matters. You had a personal go at someone for sharing an opinion you didn't like. That's kind of petty.

13. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Don't forget about these:
    That makes him dropping new album in June fairly unlikely...

14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

That didn’t work so well on Pipes of Peace, did it? To me, Egypt Station is so spotty and inconsistent that I’m not sure I want to hear the outtakes that weren’t strong to bump the likes of People Want Peace, C-Link, and Fuh You off off of Egypt Station.

905 and ego1jr like this.
  15. paulmccartneyistheman

Think of the great songs he has left off through the years, Pipes IS a good bad example but some other good songs didn’t make the cut,.

16. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

If I remember correctly Greg Kurstin said in one of the interviews concerning Egypt Station that McCartney finally favoured the newly written songs for the album. That doesn’t mean that the older songs aren’t as good or even better. Just remember that three of the better songs on Flaming Pie, „Calico Skies“, „Beautiful Night“ and „Great Day“ were several years or even decades old...

17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Fair point.

18. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Happy one month anniversary to "Get Enough".

19. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

The trouble with AutoTune is that it is totally capable of removing the passion from a vocal performance that would be perfectly fine otherwise.

intv7, Bullis and wino14 like this.
  20. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

I thought releasing it (at that time, or even at all) was the one odd move from a promotional team who otherwise had been extraordinarily shrewd throughout the Egypt Station campaign. I mean, McCartney had only recently released a very expensive video for 'Who Cares,' along with a much-hyped 'making of' video. And instead of channelling all the interest towards that for a few weeks, this new song is suddenly put out there, generating largely negative discussions that pushed 'Who Cares' far into the background. I found that a bit baffling. Maybe McCartney just demanded it be released, but it seemed a strange decision in that context.

21. paulmccartneyistheman

I think it was a very strange album release since day one, but it’s been fun as heck!

22. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Why doesn't Paul work with Giles? I think it would be interesting.

23. paulmccartneyistheman

He did a lot of songs with him on NEW, where he produced some songs and was the executive producer. My favorite songs on the album were by him

StateOfTheArt and Dr. Pepper like this.
  24. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I think he should as quickly as possible record and release a follow up album to Egypt Station with Greg Kurstin as producer again. Then follow that with a Giles produced album.

kevintee likes this.
  25. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

I would agree based on Egypt Station and New. Both top 5 McCartney for me.

Johnny Reb, mmars982 and MPLRecords like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.