Paul McCartney releases surprising new single 'Get Enough'...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lazydynamite, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

He should have called it "808s & a Free As A Bird Break"

SoundDoctor and Spencer R like this.
  2. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

To me, if anything, the song references "Get Back"...

mindgames likes this.
  3. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Throwaway

SoundDoctor likes this.
  4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

This forum is one giant complaint about the clichés of modern pop ... but when Paul jumps on the 20-year-old gimmick that Cher kicked off with Believe, and had since been abused by everyone from T-Pain to Ke$ha to Rihanna, it’s suddenly “a cool effect.” OK, sorry, but I’m not on that train. Take away the gimmick, and there’s still not much of a song there.

I yield to no one in loving Paul’s controversial albums from Wild Life to Driving Rain, and I believe that, late in his career, he has done some of his very best work, from Driving Rain to Chaos and Creation to Electric Arguments, but this is awful, and a good half of Egypt Station is equally as bad, there’s no way to spin it.

5. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident Thread Starter

His record company managed it however...and got it to the top of the charts in America.!.
    I do kind of get you however.Egypt Station is only OK for me.Prefore most of his other releases these past 20 years.

Octowen likes this.
  6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I've just listened to the track for the first time. The songwriting isn't bad, and I don't have anything against autotune when used effectively (see U2's Love is all we have Left) but hear it is utterly pointless and adds nothing to the song or the production

SoundDoctor likes this.
  7. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Would have been the ideal b-side for FY. It just sounds too modern day commercial, IMO. The song and production makes me wish he would go back to his 70s/Wings style next time around.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Shak Cohen likes this.
  8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Don't believe you have ever seen me criticize the effect when used by anyone - or seen me complain about cliches of modern pop, though certainly I tend to prefer music from the 50s-80s. Sure I like the effect more when used by one of my favorite composers.

9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

New featured some nods towards modern pop production, most notably to my ears on Appreciate, but Appreciate puts those techniques to the service of a much better song than this. I’ve really enjoyed almost everything Paul did from Run Devil Run through Electric Arguments, and I liked most of New, but, even though Egypt Station hit #1, and good for Paul, for me, it is probably his weakest scattershot effort since Off The Ground.

RickH likes this.
  10. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident

Isn't it time for Paul to just stop and retire from the music business? He's losing his voice and comes up with crap like this. It would sadden me to see him go downhill and become a caricature of himself.

SoundDoctor, bpmd1962, Ratto and 2 others like this.
  11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Only problem is that he can’t sing in his 70s Wings style anymore. Only Mama Knows was the last song we’re going to get in that vein.

vinylbeat and RickH like this.
  12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Croaking vocals + AutoTune. Truly a brilliant production decision. :righton:

The only potential benefit I can see from this abomination, is that it is so embarrassingly bad...it may just kill AutoTune forever. McCartney just made it that unhip.

13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Sadly, U2 and Paul have ended up in rather similar places with their most recent albums.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Maybe it’s time to consider what Brian Wilson did on No Pier Pressure and farm out the lead vocals to others. Too bad there’s no Al Jardine figure who can still sing in the McCartney camp.

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

In that case, Paul should finally prepare that Guitar Concerto instrumental album ready for his next release.

16. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

This song is worse than bad, it’s depressingly brutal. My apologies that I expect so much more from a Beatle, not this auto-tuned massacre of what is a cheeseball song to begin with. Mildly irritated this is the first new song I’ve heard in 2019.

SoundDoctor, SRC, Yorick and 6 others like this.
  17. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I haven't played Egypt Station since the month it came out. It got hyped as his best yet etc but in reality it's very patchy and contains some right old duffers. The album before it, NEW, was a much better offering IMO. This latest single points to the 'deluxe' version of Egypt Station being an absolute shocker...

18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I certainly don’t think he should stop. Kisses on the Bottom wasn’t that long ago, and he was in good voice then, but then maybe that’s more the type of material he ought to be singing now instead of chasing the tween market on tracks like Fuh You. But when you’ve been a famous pop star for five decades, I suppose it’s hard to walk away from that.

sunking101 likes this.
  19. sdldawn

sdldawn Forum Resident

Geezus. Poor you

20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

And Electric Arguments and Chaos and Creation were much better than NEW.

Lewisboogie and sunking101 like this.
  21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It's on Tidal as well. Sounds not unlike the rest of Egypt Station for me, where I think it's not a bad song at all.

If someone else was singing it. :shrug:

angelees likes this.
  22. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Best thing he's done since Band on the Run!!

I like how some are saying he is losing his voice. He was noticeably losing his voice in 1989 - 30 years ago! His voice is completely shot at this point. You wouldn't know it was the same guy that made Ram.

But aside from his voice, the songwriting is just generic and sub par and has been for the last 10 - 15 years.

Having said that, more power to him for continuing to do what he wants to do.

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

As I posted in the regular Egypt Station thread:

The "Who Cares" video/anti-bullying campaign hasn't really caught fire, although a worthy cause. Maybe it should have been focused upon when Egypt Station was initially released. Maybe it would have made more people to take notice.

As for "Get Enough", I agree with a previous poster who said it was typical somewhat of a movie soundtrack song. But the production style is definitely not my style. I'll take a silly throwaway like "African Yeah Yeah" any day over this one---for me, of course.

Yorick and Spencer R like this.
  24. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

I kept waiting for Cher to break-in with “... do you bee lee ee eeve in life after love, after love...”

Spencer R likes this.
  25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

:-popcorn:

vince likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.