Paul McCartney & Rick Rubin teaming on 6-part TV docuseries, "3, 2, 1"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galaga King, Dec 16, 2020.

1. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

More excited about this than I am am I about Paul’s new album

joy stinson and Galaga King like this.
  2. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I'll be curious to see if this covers any new ground.

joy stinson likes this.
  3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I mean, so far all we have is John's vocal from Come Together played in the trailer, with Rick and Paul grooving to it and Paul demonstrating some bass and drums.

It's possible we may get some Beatles Anthology style instrumental remixes throughout the documentary, but no way to tell for sure yet.

joy stinson and Lewisboogie like this.
  4. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

And what else should you be ... Lol love that he lives it to the fullest continues to give it's what he does his life what else is there?

5. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I can't wait!
    from the article in the OP

susyredstripe likes this.
  6. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I do too, with McCartney's band and totally new songs!

joy stinson and raveoned like this.
  7. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I'm hoping that as well. One thing with Rubin is that he's got a good ear and a way to get an artist's best period of their career to come back through the recordings. His pitch to Johnny Cash was to just record him with a guitar, somewhat reminiscent of his Sun and early Columbia recordings, and Cash went with him from that. Turned out to be a good run of albums, IMO.

I could see Rubin getting a peak Beatles, peak Wings type of sound from the music if he produced McCartney. Plus Rubin wouldn't be starstruck in his work and do what he felt sounded the best.

joy stinson likes this.
  8. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Maybe Paul and Rick bonded somewhat during this TV production.
    You know Paul is always ready to record, hope he takes his time with the writing.

joy stinson likes this.
  9. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Indeed, though am a non shrink, I long ago diagnosed him as hyperactive or even hypermanic.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

nope, not even for a second.

11. Max Wilbury

Max Wilbury Berlin Beetle

Let's see if we'll have some news or clues soon.
    Probably not before June but who knows ?

Lewisboogie and joy stinson like this.
  12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, my source has packed their bags and moved on, so I’m unlikely to be able to provide much useful information any more. However, I do think this was going to be way before June (unless things changed).

13. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Sorry about losing your source....We appreciated what you shared...

14. Max Wilbury

Max Wilbury Berlin Beetle

Right, thanks very much mrjinks. Again.
    Much appreciated.

Again, sorry for the repetition but a year with a Macca/Rubin documentary, a sum like The Lyrics' book promises, a POB boxset, most probably an ATMP boxset. What's more... Let It Be / Get Back ?
    We're in for a great year for sure. That is regarding a purely love of Beatles' music of course (and if you're able to spend as much of course).

15. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

It's been almost six months, and has there been no news since? :shake::confused:

905 likes this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Welcome to the Beatle/snail world... ;)

17. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

18. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

On another thread @foreverrock linked to a tweet that claims the series is called McCartney 3, 2, 1 and will premiere July 16 on Hulu.

19. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I swear if this documentary resorts to Paul showing us the Strawberry Fields flutes and the Because chords again I will . . . rejoice!

joy stinson, hi_watt, 905 and 3 others like this.
  20. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Now the real quandary will be this . . .

For those who maintain a Hulu account, you can watch it all you want over and over without having to buy a physical release of the doc series.

But what if the hypothetical physical release contains bonus material?

Or dare I say it even but it might even contain the isolated tracks they play with in the series for our listening pleasure without voiceovers.

And on a side note, like some have said I think Rick does a great job at producing and it would kind of be silly if Paul did not use the chance to record a few tracks of new material for a future album with Rick at the helm. Wouldn't it?

joy stinson likes this.
  21. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I'm already paying for Amazon Prime and Netflix, so adding Hulu makes little sense to me. So I hope for a physical release at some point.

joy stinson likes this.
  22. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Hulu has announced that a six-part music docuseries titled “McCartney 3,2,1” will premiere on July 16.

While there have been many documentaries on the Beatles and McCartney over the years, what makes this one different is the fact that he will be speaking with Rick Rubin, one of the most successful producers of the last 30 years and a music geek of magnitude, who has worked with everyone from Tom Petty to Run-DMC, from Johnny Cash to Slayer, from Adele to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. His experience and insights into songwriting and recording will likely provide a fresh take on McCartney’s groundbreaking work with the Beatles, his group Wings, and his 51 years as a solo artist.

“Never before have fans had the opportunity to hear Paul McCartney share, in such expansive, celebratory detail, the experience of creating his life’s work — more than 50 years of culture-defining music,” Craig Erwich, president of Hulu Originals and ABC Entertainment, said in a statement. “To be an observer as Paul and Rick Rubin deconstruct how some of the biggest hits in music history came to be is truly enlightening. It is an honor that Paul chose to return to Hulu to share this one-of-a-kind series.”

“McCartney 3,2,1” is the latest series to join Hulu’s expanding slate of documentary content that examine influential figures from world history. The streaming service released the four-part documentary series “Hillary” in March 2020, which examines Hillary Clinton’s life and the 2016 election. Later that year, Hulu’s documentary film “I Am Greta” featured an intimate portrayal of teen climate activist Greta Thunberg from the first solitary days of her school strike in August 2018 to her appearance at the United Nations Climate Summit in September 2019. Additionally, the 2016 documentary “The Beatles: Eight Days a Week — The Touring Years” is streaming on Hulu.

Directed by Zachary Heinzerling, “McCartney 3,2,1” is executive produced by McCartney, Rubin, Scott Rodger, Peter Berg, Matthew Goldberg, Brandon Carroll, Jeff Pollack, Frank Marshall and Ryan Suffern. Leila Mattimore serves as co-executive producer. Endeavor Content is producing alongside MPL Communications Inc., Shangri-La, Film 45, Kennedy Marshall and Diamond Docs.

Paul McCartney Documentary Coming to Hulu - Variety

mynameistaken likes this.
  23. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Does this title (McCartney 3, 2, 1) indicate a link to the ongoing McCartney III campaign, or is that just a coincidence?

ARK, mrjinks and omikron like this.
  24. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

Of course it is related, and it’s not a coincidence. MPL has everything down to a science. But I have had enough of any aspect of MC3. I won’t be glued to my set on July 16.

25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'll want to stop watching after 1977...…:shh: