Paul McCartney & Rick Rubin teaming on 6-part TV docuseries, "3, 2, 1"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galaga King, Dec 16, 2020.

1. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Great series, but Paul's voice is not in good shape.

audiomixer likes this.
  2. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I’ve re listened to all early Beatles love songs mostly written by and sung by John and a very few by George and decided they are the same as well as solo John and George songs …super nova saccharine for teen girls in early Beatles and adult contemporary wife songs or disguised God songs written like love songs in solo …all supernova corny though most with good melodies. I bought almost all solo Beatle music…I quit worrying about cornball and just appreciated Beatles genius for melodies….

JDeanB likes this.
  3. joy stinson

The bass elevated the song.

4. bward

bward Senior Member

Sure did. I think George let some
    Bad vibes cloud his judgment on this.
    Too bad.
    Now that I think of it, Paul elevated most of George’s songs as George did for Paul too.
    And I Love Her being a prime example. There are many others too.

5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I focus on the bass for "Here Comes the Sun" every once in a while, too. All of Abbey Road has killer bass. Oh, and I forgot to mention "Lovely Rita." That was another highlight of this series. It's doing all the heavy lifting in that song. Sublime beyond belief.

theMess, Susan Gagne and joy stinson like this.
  6. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

In an interview to promote the Japan album, he was praising the bass in Something. That you have to hear it!

theMess, jeremylr and joy stinson like this.
  7. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

It's one thing to defend Paul, it's another to trash John and George. Paul has class everytime he talks about John and George.

8. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

It's been that way for a little while now. I hope he can continue to find ways to write pretty melodies his voice can carry, discover old demos he can add new instrumentation to and keep the vintage vocal, and also write new songs for other singers. I hope he does some of all three in his 80s :)

theMess, jeremylr, JDeanB and 2 others like this.
  9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Watched that a couple of times. He knows what he's talking about.

joy stinson and Susan Gagne like this.
  10. I Have Been Floated

I Have Been Floated Duke of Kirkcaldy

I thought it was a fine series. Of course most of us have heard and read these stories a thousand times because we're nerds, but my 15 year old daughter found it interesting, probably because she's a young Beatles fan who hasn't heard the stories before. As for taking credit for a lot, yes Paul loves him some Paul but I would too if I were him. I feel proud when my yard looks good, I'd be impossible if I played the bass line and wrote part of "A Day in the Life". When it comes to his memory, we should cut him slack- after all he is ALMOST old enough to run for president.

11. I wonder if those who are disappointed at hearing some of the same stories also feel the same after reading several of the biographers written about the Beatles (or maybe they've read only one and that's enough) . The same old stories are included in those books along with some new tidbits and from a different perspective depending on the author. I feel this series had a different take when presented with some of the actual tapes and another producer's questions and perspective.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  12. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

I liked that it felt more like a conversation, rather than a Q&A. I'm so glad it was a producer talking to Paul, listening and not stepping over his answers trying to get a particular soundbyte.

I did like the idea someone had way up thread about them filming Rick and Paul as Rick works to remix a song in real time, and get Paul's reaction and input on the mix on camera. Maybe they did some of this and it's in the cut footage, or maybe they didn't think of it. But it would have been cool to actually see Rick remix "Maybe I'm Amazed" in the show for real (not just a quick swipe through the faders), and then drop the remix as a single.

13. joy stinson

No joke about cutting him slack about memory…though he’s fifteen years older than I am his memory is better than mine as I’m having to get home health care extended services for memory therapy. No one knows what it’s like to lose memory and if or when you realize you’ve lost it. My neurologist memory test recently showed I was beginning to lose mine and found out due to hydrocephalus but also have incurable seizures …so I say …give him a break…he’s nearly 80. We’re lucky he and ringo have lived so long.without serious illness.

14. joy stinson

Guess he wasn’t still mad at Paul then..about the busy bass on something anyway…time wounds all heals…

15. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the bass elevated The Beatles' performance of the song? The song itself has become a standard in its own right, covered many many times by other artists.

WilliamWes and joy stinson like this.
  16. joy stinson

Yes..the absolute best way to say it is as you said it. The song has been much covered as is a beautiful tune in itself. I’ve seen several folks on this forum down the song as schmaltz because they apparently don’t like anything not rawk….but one of Beatles finest tunes and the Beatles version was superior with the added bass.

zobalob likes this.
  17. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I’m not criticizing. I agree with you. Many others don’t.

bward likes this.
  18. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

How do you divorce one aspect from the other?? Seriously asking... yes it's a lovely song but "the finished Beatles performance" is how everyone who subsequently covered it became familiar with the song in the first place, and became inspired enough by it to cover it.

Presentation is a *key* factor in how people connect with any song. So while an acoustic George version of "Something" would no doubt have resonated as it is such a strong song, I don't think it's remotely debatable that it would've done so to anywhere near the same degree as the version with Paul's melodically-loping bassline, thunderously resonant drum toms, and sweeping string arrangement does.

19. joy stinson

I was actually surprised and thought his voice was better…less broken sounding.

905 and Bern like this.
  20. Ern

Ern Senior Member

George praised Paul's bass part on 'Something' in an 1992 interview.

21. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I liked it when Paul said he had figured out you could "control" a band with his bass playing. Got a big kick out of that.

jeremylr, Mazzy and WilliamWes like this.
  22. joy stinson

I’m no musician but have read the combined rhythm section of bass and drums do control the songs and are the backbone of a band so Paul wasn’t wrong and he played melodic and counter point bass at times I’ve read.

23. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

No. The composition, melodically and lyrically stands on its own...however the arrangement, the setting as devised by The Beatles and George Martin undeniably made it shine as a 'Beatles' recording and certainly would have been the version first brought to the world's attention. When the song has been covered by other artists however it's the composition itself that has been used as the basis for the many different versions, not the decoration no matter how integral that is to the superlative version recorded by The Beatles (and it is).

WilliamWes likes this.
  24. Yes and his love and praise for Motown bass player James Lee Jamerson was so cool.

25. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Sorry, but no. Even if it is not covered with the same arrangement/instrumentation, the original *still influences* what happens with the cover. The song is the song, but as the musician coming in behind an existing song, you make choices based upon that - whether you stay somewhat faithful to the original interpretation and just infuse it with "your own thing" to the extent you can or whether you take it off in a totally different direction because you intentionally don't want it to sound like the original ... making music has always operated this way.

One way is not more valid than the other (and most great interpretations of others' music usually falls somewhere in the middle) but someone not replicating the original at some point meant making a conscious choice not to sound like it.