Paul McCartney & Rick Rubin teaming on 6-part TV docuseries, "3, 2, 1"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galaga King, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Toomanydogs

Toomanydogs Forum Resident

pretty disillusioned with this. Rubin was completely inconsequential.

“Remember when you were with the Beatles? That was awesome.”

yeah, Farley would have been just as good.

2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, I actually added the Farley bit here about a month ago (post#763) because Rick’s approach seemed pretty similar.:D

For a big name producer Rick didn’t ask any insightful questions IMO and basically played a bit of tape and said “ that’s great” or similar .

In fact, the few times he offered his impression or insight on something, it usually seemed questionable to me. Paul being diplomatic, would listen, say “yeah” and then get on with what he wanted to say.:laugh:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Toomanydogs, Choba b CCCP and zobalob like this.
  3. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

What made you think it was journalism? It also was entirely focused on his own words, which he had complete control over.

And he's not THE executive producer, he's AN executive producer, of which there are 9 listed (including Rubin), among other producers and a director.

jesse, JDeanB and 905 like this.
  4. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I dunno, I personally found Rick's flow of conversation and general demeanor effective in giving Paul a comfortable place to stretch out and open up conversationally. I found it personally very well done

5. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

I have not yet seen this set, but maybe the encounter and general relaxed atmosphere may earn him involvement into a future Paul album ... ? I'd reckon it may work well.

theMess likes this.
  6. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

The Minutia being complained/discussed is astounding, hearing snippets from the multis was/is cool as f&*k

theMess, BeatleJWOL, JDeanB and 8 others like this.
  7. Mang

Mang Forum Resident

Evidently the multis from Revolver do exist?

8. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Imagine what they look like...

9. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Rick Rubin was happy to take a back seat to Paul. He didn’t pepper him with questions, but rather made short comments which allowed Paul to open up and go anywhere he wanted with his replies. His enthusiasm when playing back the multi’s was infectious.

Rick Rubin’s zen-like demeanor should never be mistaken for simpleness. The comments above comparing him to Chris Farley’s character from SNL were mind-bogglingly off the mark, and lack insight.

10. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Enjoyed it but my friend and I both came away thinking there was a little too much focus on Paul’s contributions to the Beatles records vs. the others. Even if it’s true, it’s not a great look for a self produced documentary. I had hoped he’d gotten over his late 80s/90s Beatle insecurity.

Check My Machine was a great surprise but they barely throw his solo career a bone. Frustrating…

11. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

That was the whole premise, to highlight Paul's musical contributions, which they felt has always been overshadowed by the songwriting. That's the pitch they brought to Paul at the start. It is not a eatles documentary series, as such.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  12. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

The docuseries I believe was aimed at the casual Beatles fan as opposed to the deep dive fan who could point out the different takes from each song...as such it was enjoyable...

13. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Phew.
    And again are TD responsible for a surprise.
    Just listening to Sessions VII, live at Barbican Hall, London. I have got fond memories of this mind bogglingly ugly place, if I remember correctly the library is situated next to the hall. I have been there on a regular basis during my London time in 1995/96.
    And this album ... I did not expect these sounds! Wow, amazing, both new but also reaching back to the 70s. Wow.
    Is this the whole gig? I doubt that, with a running order of just about 40 minutes ... I want the whole damn thing already. Wow.

Edit:
    It seems this was kind of the last track. Wow, phew.
    Tangerine Dream Setlist at Barbican Hall, London
    If anyone still doubts this band is alive and kicking and has a reason to exist, play them this track. Imediately. Like: now. Right. Now.

Edit:
    Whennthe camera pans across the room of the library near the end of this clip ... I have walked these stairs quite a few times. Oh, I'd love to get back, and even more, see this exhibition.

The Barbican also had the Museum Of Film And Sound. I have seen a Peter Greenaway installation of objects that filled a room.
    And they also had Derek Jarman's writing desk on display. He had put empty medicine boxes all across it. I still remember it. How many of them were there. What an amount of medication people had to take for HIV back then. And how many died nonetheless. What a sad, bitter, utterly unbelievable loss.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  14. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

I think Rubin's style is less about the questions he asks and more about getting the subject thinking instead of just reacting to questions...he tries creating a relaxed conversational atmosphere in which the subject opens up and, in their own personal way, rambles, for lack of a better word.

I think in that sense, Rubin got Paul to relax and get out of his typical reporter/interview mode for this, making it unique.

My only critique is the pair should have decided on a Paul track to remix in real time for the documentary and film all fo that and release the new "Rick Rubin Remix" of that song to coincide with the series. It would have been fascinating to see them making real decisions and going back and forth on the faders for a final new mix of something to actually release.

jmxw, jeremylr, BeatleJWOL and 2 others like this.
  15. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I get that sure, but feel it would have looked better then if the material was evenly distributed.

16. Toomanydogs

Toomanydogs Forum Resident

about that last part, absolutely NOT!

I just watched EP 3 and I'm not going back for more. Rubin did ask a couple of questions at the beginning of this episode. how refreshing. then he went back to agreeing and not saying much, just letting Paul repeat stories we've heard a million times, about Lucy In The Sky, Dear Prudence, and Jimi Hendrix.
    I was hoping for something else, I guess.

17. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

How wonderful to experience McCartney this relaxed and open. Amazing

theMess and MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt like this.
  18. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

I've watched the series again, but this time on my big TV screen, since we've finally got it in the UK, and it's even better second time around. My favourite episode is 5 Couldn't You Play It Straighter. Only gripe is I can't believe we only got 2 seconds of Paul playing that bassline from Come Together. Should have been longer! I love the way his posture and positioning, the way he held the bass, was exactly the same...like you can still see the young Paul in the old Paul. I got a better look his facial expressions, heard his voice with more clarity etc. I reckon still waters run deep with that one. lol. He sure seems like he holds a LOT in. Just think of all the things he's said and done and seen, all the experiences he's had...he's a living treasure. Really glad he made that that series with Rubin. In light of Charlie's passing, I just feel like we're so lucky to still have Paul.

theMess, Sear, jmxw and 7 others like this.
  19. I don't know what to think of this series really. I've only seen the first two episodes, yet I imagine I'll finish it up.

It's enjoyable. On the other hand, I don't enjoy Paul in that fruity-old-granddad-mode, where he's acting like he's all hip and cool in his old age, playing up the elder-statesman-of-rock 'n' roll schtick. I mean, he can act anyway he wants to, no denying that, only it comes off fake to me, when I could watch Beatles Paul all day (I'm looking forward to the Peter Jackson series).

What's amazing, though, is he looks as fit as a fiddle, hardly any sign of his age, while he's getting around and playing. It's impressive. His voice is shot, but everybody knows that. It was expected.

It's a pretty cool little series, though.

I'm with a few other posters who thinks that a Ringo series would be excellent! Ringo doesn't put on many airs.

Rick Rubin is disgusting with his mixing and mastering habits. He needs to put on some shoes. :)

20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

A most enjoyable series imo. Rubin occasionally made Paul open up a little bit more than usuall. Of course he s still Paul Putin on his Paul persona but anyway. When Rubin read him the quote about how great bass-player Paul was and revealed it was. Lennon quote Paul seemed genuinely moved.
    Also enjoy the complete focus on the music.
    Great stuff and of course will be an historical document.

Past Masters and Who Cares like this.
  21. I get it now! Paul has been a performer for so long that he keeps performing at all times. It's as if these days the person has disappeared, leaving only the art behind.

We all do this to some extent. We've formulated a persona around ourselves, because our lives are an accumulation of all past events, making us who we are today. For Paul, though, because he's been in the limelight for most of his life, he can't slow the performance down.

It's a theory at least. :D

Freddie Barry likes this.
  22. dunkoid

dunkoid Forum Resident

Why the strikethrough his name?

23. RickenBackerSurfer

RickenBackerSurfer Forum Resident

I take what I can get, from Paul and Ringo at this stage. I just try to enjoy what comes out because it may soon be over.

Go in with no expectations and just enjoy! ♥

24. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

one of those idiots who think Paul is dead?

jmxw likes this.
  25. dunkoid

dunkoid Forum Resident

That did cross my mind, surely that’s still not ‘a thing’?

Lost In The Flood likes this.