Paul McCartney - The 7" Singles [Release date December 2nd 2022]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Max Wilbury, Nov 9, 2022.

1. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Oh crap! I didn’t even realize put Perkins in my original post. Thanks!

2. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Test Pressing is Birthday/Good day Sunshine

3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Would there be interest in a dedicated Test Pressing thread? I’m thinking people state what they received, what their box # was, and how happy (or unhappy) they are with theirs. Good idea or no?

Shawn, daveidmarx, omikron and 6 others like this.
  4. mrjinks

Another example of a notable difference between the original (left) and reissue (right):
    [​IMG]

mBen989, Max Wilbury, supermd and 4 others like this.
  5. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Thank you :)

I'll buy some hi grip rubber gloves ahead of my next unboxing!

6. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Do it!

I would add what country they were in, although it's looking like the U.S. is 1 through 2000 and Europe 2000 to 3000.

I'm also interested to know if Europe has mostly 70's test pressings etc.

OobuJoobu and mrjinks like this.
  7. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Hey that's you! Thanks for the great content - I just subscribed.

I love Waterfalls and I've always loved the artwork as well...hence the near stroke!

OobuJoobu likes this.
  8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I love that this set forces you to pay attention to the many worthy, often forgotten b-sides. They are a legitimate part of McCartney’s career. So much of music is about the album, but these songs deserve to be heard.

As much as I have always loved “Rainclouds,” for instance, I still think in terms of “Which McCartney album am I going to listen to?” when I reach for his material. Here is a perfect way for me to now reach for b-sides.

I think that’s why the Beatles’ Past Masters is so effective and welcome. A great “all the rest” release.

9. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

Andrew has the best production values of his videos and always does them right. Watched the entire 80+ minutes of it today working from home

10. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Lewisohn's early reporting had an outsized influence on how the "Figure of Eight" single has been characterized ever since.

I think calling it a "new recording" is more imprecise than incorrect. Much of it is newly recorded, but elements from the album version are retained, including the vocals.

Trevor Horn, Stephen Lipson, and Chris Hughes talk about both versions of "Figure of Eight" in this interview. (Lipson calls it "re-recorded.")

11. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

YES!

Troyh and Jerry Horne like this.
  12. pauloseltaeb

pauloseltaeb Well-Known Member

13. TJSBeatles

TJSBeatles Forum Resident

I’m getting tired of these positive STL vibes so let me just say GO CUBS and who wants to trade for my Oratorio TP and a
    Hey @apple-richard thanks so much!! That made my day. I’ll share with Tony & Casey. Me & Tony spent a few hours listening to singles from the box yesterday and will release it as soon as Casey GETS OFF HIS ASS (ass=lucrative full time job). Thanks for listening, man!!

14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Squid is 10/10 for me.

Yeah, those unreleased 80s songs are pretty melodic and have great arrangements, in my opinion. I have faith we’ll eventually get them. I’ll make my own comp.

While we’ve gotten some of them in the Flaming Pie deluxe, they weren’t really remastered from the analog tapes. They remastered the existing Oobu Joobu digital file. Not good enough haha.

15. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Happy to report my box has finally arrived!
    # 1864
    Test pressing is Getting Closer / Baby's Request!

905, Max Wilbury, JeffreyB and 11 others like this.
  16. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

This is a great idea. Let me know if you do it!

Jerry Horne likes this.
  17. I can’t seem to start any new PM’s or receive any new ones. I can only add new comments to old PM threads. I have some old PM threads with different Gorts as well as some with Steve. I’ll report the bug that way and see if I can get my PM issued rectified.

Sorry for polluting the thread with this info, but right now it’s the only way aI can communicate with forum members.

18. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Let me know if they get it fixed. Thanks for the update.

19. mrjinks

20. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

[​IMG]

JeffreyB, ARK, Who Cares and 6 others like this.
  21. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I love the musical backing track on this! :righton:

22. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Ah. Yes, I see that now.

I didn't realize such a thing existed until just now...

apple-richard likes this.
  23. Jack

Jack Senior Member

#319, Hope of Deliverance/Leather Coat

24. Some of the vocals are the same between the two, but most of the vocals are different—especially during the second half of the 7” version.

Lewisboogie and Who Cares like this.
  25. gibtti

gibtti Senior Member

The two vocal tracks (regular and rough) are the same between the album/single versions.
    The differences you’re hearing are because the album version is heavily edited down so some passages are missing (but present on the single mix and full unedited bootleg of the album mix) and there are also mix differences between the versions on which the vocal tracks are faded up/down differently during the song. eg the rough vocals are mixed out of parts of the album version.
    Someone should do a side by side with unedited album version and single mix on left/right channels to show that both run from the same multitrack and share key elements….

Chris

jacden and Marry a Carrot like this.