Paul McCartney - The 7" Singles [Release date December 2nd 2022]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Max Wilbury, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It did happen to one of the more famous cuts: the live "Coming Up," a US #1 single. This is its fourth digital release, and they screwed up all four times!

jmxw, anthontherun, csnfan and 7 others like this.
  2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

And this time they managed to screw it up in a brand new way. It took some effort to make whatever is presented on this set.

All will be forgiven if they just release the full Glasgow show.

csnfan, Lewisboogie, 905 and 4 others like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, I would be pissed if they released "Maybe I'm Amazed" with a sax overdub... ;)

4. jacden

jacden Senior Member

That is very true.

It would actually be much prefarable if they just gave us the early fade version again. At least it would be the right mix, and the musical portion of the recording would be free of hamfisted edits.

5. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Has anyone here received a box with a number under 1000? Should we start a thread for numbers??

6. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

7. gibtti

gibtti Senior Member

As @Paul H said, the sax is a completely different take which is the standout difference.
    (IMO sounds like an earlier run through of the sax as it's not quite there unlike the true single mix.)
    There are lots of other smaller differences as well, eg -
    The bongos run right through the Singles Box mix, but stop/start in places on the true single mix.
    There is a second tambourine on the true single mix (from 'Old enough') which is missing from the Singles Box Mix.
    Finally when the full drums kick in they are a lot more forward in the Singles Box mix,

Chris

8. Just got my box. I received the I Want to Come Home test pressing. It’s a cool little gimmick but I doubt I will ever play the text pressing. Heck, some people won’t play any of the 7”!

9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

So did they newly remix this thing or is it an early mix? Very interesting.

theMess likes this.
  10. Nerktwin

Nerktwin Forum Resident

I will never forgive Steven Van Zandt for Hope For The Future.

I’m 99% sure that my feelings as noted above have all but assured a bad spin of the karmic wheel and that this is the test pressing I will receive in my crate.

Please don’t reply that my crate hasn’t arrived yet so technically there is still hope for the future.

Billy Budapest and Jerry Horne like this.
  11. jacden

jacden Senior Member

If it was a new mix, there's no way they'd mistake it for the old mix. They'd know they'd just remixed it and they would not label it a 2022 Remaster.

It sounds to me like a rough mix done before the final and superior sax phrases were punched in.

Lewisboogie, RAJ717, Paul H and 2 others like this.
  12. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I'm a half-full kind of guy. I am thrilled to get a previously unreleased mix of the song. I already have a perfect needledrop of the original 45, so this screw-up is a welcome one (unlike the Coming Up debacle, which is embarrassingly bad). I'm sure we'll get the proper single mix on the Press To Play Archive. :agree:

13. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Dude is no fan of ‘Secret Friend’!

Beatley Tone and Lewisboogie like this.
  14. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Thanks to Brian for the list and davidmarx for the corrections. Excellent point on the fade of the actual promo of "Unclle Albert", this tells me they used the mono Ram LP version and did a quicker fade than what was actually on the US promo 45. I'd like to think if they had the masters o those 1st 2 mono promos here in the US ("Another Day" & "Uncle Albert") they would have included the mono promo of "Another Day"/"Oh Woman,Oh Why".

I see "Letting Go" always listed as the "promo" version, this is misleading since it's also on the commercial/stock pressings of the 45, at least in the US,UK & Japan. Those are the only 45's I can actually verify it's included on. So if anyone if interested in actually picking this up on 45 they can just but the common 45.

This collection also shortens the intro to "Beware My Love". On original 45's you can still hear the organ from the previous track, this version eliminates one extra acoustic guitar riff at the beginning.

jmxw, jricc, Who Cares and 2 others like this.
  15. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

That's certainly possible, but I think there's a pretty good chance they'll revisit the "Only Love Remains" remix at some point. Even without a Press to Play Archive set, they're going to want to find a home for the other tracks from that era that have never been released digitally. Two of them (the "Tough on a Tightrope" and "Talk More Talk" remixes) are on the same 12" single as the original "Only Love Remains" remix.

16. Don Lucho

Don Lucho Forum Resident

Alright, #695 just arrived here. The test pressing I got is Figure OF Eight, not exactly a favorite of mine, until I remembered it was the first song I ever saw Paul sing live in 1989. It's really a thing of beauty, this box.

17. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

You guys are killin' me...my copy has shipped, but is not scheduled to arrive until Thursday...despite some of the errors noted in this discussion, which yeah, they should not have occurred, the set sounds to be as beautiful and exciting as I'd hoped. Waiting... :waiting: :laugh:

18. daveidmarx

Has anyone who received the set made scans of the picture sleeves yet? I would love to see some of the later sleeves in nice quality as I wait for my box to ship out next week.

19. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

After sampling this set I decided to go ahead and buy it as a download from Qobuz. I'm going to download it tonight but wanted to know is FLAC the best option for these to download? I thought about WAV but it may take forever to download. If I do FLAC and save them to a USB can that be played in a car player that accepts USB? Can FLAC be burned to CD?

I have Audacity so I can convert them just wanted some advice since folks here seem to download hires a lot.

20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

They should have gone the quick extra mile and remastered the actual single mix of “Listen to What the Man Said” with full dynamic range.

What is the best digital mastering of this?

21. daveidmarx

Dude is going on and on about the 2022 "remaster" of the live version of Coming Up, so I'd take ANYTHING he says with several grains of salt. ;)

pablo fanques, Lewisboogie and 905 like this.
  22. Calico

Calico Senior Member

And the book!

23. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

But he likes 'Check My Machine'!!

Lewisboogie and Willowman like this.
  24. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

At about 16-17 min he seems mystified by the "cutout" on the back of the jacket for the Netherlands single of Mrs. Vanderbilt...looks to me like it was intended to cut out and insert into a jukebox so you can select the tracks, and if so that's really interesting, had never seen a 45 jacket with such a cutout.

jmxw, mc7t, Lewisboogie and 2 others like this.
  25. It's strange they didn't go back to the 45/single masters for at least several of these tracks for this set. Kinda defeats the purpose for those specific songs.

steepien, daveidmarx and supermd like this.