Paul McCartney: What are the best deepest (rarest) cuts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Somerset Scholar, May 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Mostly Denny on vocal, but this outdistances anything on Side Two of Red Rose Speedway...

Rockford & Roll and joy stinson like this.
  2. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Due to memory problems because of medically uncontrollable seizures....for the life of me, I can’t remember what 45 this is the b side of, but I have it...got it at the time. I got amused at the kook Paul is dead crowd seizing upon the...lie...verb as a clue Paul is an imposter who is lying...LOL. Ok, the video dude just said..it’s flip side of LALD. What a great early seventies style hippie type song it is.

Out distances anything on side two of RRSW? Shut yo mouth...side two is a great side..and is my favorite side and this is a cool song but is no way better than my favorite side..LOL. Love me some RRSW...a sleeper album for decades in my collection till I re listened to it fairly recently and vastly upgraded it. It was for decades my least favorite Macca album, so is my..own personal....ram...from the gutter most to the utter most.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  3. Egilf

Egilf Well-Known Member

There’s something here that would be really good. I think if Elvis Costello was on this with Paul it could be a really good track.

joy stinson likes this.
  4. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

This is one of the very few songs I like that Denny Laine did with Wings.

joy stinson likes this.
  5. joy stinson

I gotta hand it to time to hide especially....but secondarily again and again and again. Denny showed out he was so great in time to hide in rock show. No way does this song out do yours truly’s second side of rrsw as commenter suggests....as rrsw is a fine diverse, mellow album, a true Macca gem IMO.

905 likes this.
  6. joy stinson

Yeah..both bring from Liverpool on top of that...Elvis could give the song good harmony and perhaps boost the chorus..

7. joy stinson

Agree about so bad...great beautiful falsetto like Girlfriend is on LT.

8. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

yeah..whenever i hear that song.....maybe once every 3 years or so.....it makes me feel good. the production, the singing, the great bass line. just another in a long line of great songs/moments by Paul.

joy stinson likes this.
  9. joy stinson

I also love that low key simple video in an era of MTV bodacious videos...

51IS likes this.
  10. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

I haven't seen the video.

11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Was this the only remix released on vinyl like this, or did another artist also make a remix of this song at the same time?

If this was the only one they put on vinyl, I could sell you my sealed copy. I haven’t even opened the shipping packaging it came in. That’s how I’m not sure if multiple remixes were released at the same time. I just know I bought a 1985 remix a few years ago on vinyl.

joy stinson likes this.
  12. joy stinson

I found the so bad video online on YouTube I think ..they are dressed up...he’s in a suit I think...

13. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Hi

there were two different ones:

Paul McCartney & Wings Vs. Timo Maas & James Teej – Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five (2016, Vinyl)

and

Paul McCartney & Wings vs. Timo Maas & James Teej – Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five - The Remixes (2016, Vinyl)

supermd likes this.
  14. 905

905 Senior Member

Tommy's Coming Home was my favorite from the Flowers archive disc.

joy stinson and thgord like this.
  15. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Yes, mine too. So Like Candy a close contender as well.

joy stinson likes this.
  16. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

Paul vocal at 3:00

joy stinson likes this.
  17. 905

905 Senior Member

I remember the single mix for Figure of Eight was a good listen. But I don't have it on physical media at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Hep Alien and joy stinson like this.
  18. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

19. joy stinson

This indeed great....Wish I had this anywhere....Brit version of all the best I read? The Brit single for homelessness p. I didn’t know about this till a few years ago in the internet...

905 likes this.
  20. joy stinson

I think have the 45 single of that....but not the maxi single which wish I had....Isn’t there a 7 or 10 inch of it? I really love that song that opened up his 89-90 tour....I saw...you may have too but don’t know because of your age...

905 likes this.
  21. 905

905 Senior Member

I was born in '77, I missed the tours until 2002, I'm glad I made that one since driving rain is one of my favorite albums. I do listen to tripping the live fantastic often, along with unplugged and Paul is Live, I'm a big fan of Hamish and his background vocals.

Hep Alien, foxylady and joy stinson like this.
  22. joy stinson

You definitely got in on a great tour with clear vocals and good playing. I have always said, particularly with McCartney, favorite albums and tours depend on your age when you first got into him. With me it was from the very early seventies forward when I was both retroactively collecting on the Beatles and forwardly collecting solo McCartney and solo other Beatles. However, unlike many in my age group, I continued to like solo McCartney throughout subsequent decades but the man completely slayed in all ways prolific, various musical styles, early to mid seventies peak vocals....in the seventies IMO.

I’m 20 years older than you....we’re all just the age we happen to be and that’s the beauty of all recorded music. Hubby is a big Glenn Miller fan for instance but doesn’t have to be very old almost dead to enjoy his music. What’s really interesting is that youngsters of all subsequent generations can get interested in much earlier recorded music by an artist and that’s a true testimony of the endurance of the music.

905 and jmxw like this.
  23. joy stinson

Magnito slayed and rocked live on the wings tour I saw...with the painted cartoon characters behind them on stage...

905 likes this.
  24. joy stinson

I want Paul is live on vinyl if it’s available..I’ve heard it online and Paul’s version of Kansas City on Paul is Live .....,don’t tell em I said it, ....but it really stomps the Beatles version of it.... I got so busy that I completely missed that album but saw that tour...

905 likes this.
  25. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

The Bob Clearmountain mix.

Man, this song is SO CLOSE to classic Paul, it just needs the slightest bit of editing -
    he could totally skip the archaic "fly around" and ditch the lalalalas and move right into the "hear the sound" and the song would move much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.