Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Girlfriend...

Michael Jackson's version:

2. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I'm Carrying - The first two songs on London Town are disappointing to me. When listening to the album as a whole I sometimes skip the first and nearly always skip the second. But the album redeems itself with the next few tracks. I'm Carrying is a lovely, unassuming, acoustic ballad with a beautifully vulnerable sounding vocal. An overlooked gem.

Backwards Traveler - I wish this were a complete song. It's bouncy and melodic. It sounds like, with a strong bridge, it could have been a highlight. As it is, it's a fun interlude. Too bad, as this album could use a few more strong songs.

Cuff Link - just a ditty. Nothing to really love or hate about it.

Rojo, omikron and Who Cares like this.
  3. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Girlfriend...

Demo:

4. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Children Children - I usually like the Denny songs but this one is so wispy that it barely exists. Not a lot to this one.

Girlfriend - I wonder how people would feel about this song if Jackson hadn't rescued it from obscurity - where it belonged. I find the whole thing a bit too cutesy and those "Yeah"s cringe worthy. Can't go there.

Archguy and Ludger like this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

I liked the song before Jackson recorded it
    Still do
    :)

The MEZ, limoges and MPLRecords like this.
  6. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Wings' "Girlfriend": :thumbsup:
    Michael Jackson's "Girlfriend": :doh:

(What a brilliant move to take out the middle-eight. :rolleyes:)

Who Cares and Piiijiii like this.
  7. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Girlfriend: With a slicked up production I could see this being a decent addition to Tug of War or Pipes of Peace.

I hate its inclusion on London Town.

I guess it comes down to whether you think Wings was just a vehicle for solo Paul's whimsies, or if he might have thought about the rock band dynamics as he assemble songs for this album.

When he tries to have it both ways I think it dilutes the results.

8. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

:wave:

Yorick and Who Cares like this.
  9. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

My thoughts exactly. I enjoy it, it is a highlight, or as you said it would have been if it had an extra minute and another section or so.

Mark L., BZync and Who Cares like this.
  10. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I always liked Girlfriend -- Paul channeling the Jackson 5, and doing it pretty much perfectly. And how come no one notices that killer bass line? Listening to it now, and hearing how effortlessly Paul moves from his lower range to falsetto, does give me a bit of his pang considering how his voice has aged, but that's life. I wouldn't want a whole album of songs like this, but as one album track it's solid.

The MEZ, Piiijiii and Bemagnus like this.
  11. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

One could say this about several of Paul's song fragments over the years, including a couple we'll get to on the next album.

BZync and SRC like this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Not being familiar with the ' London Town ' album , I've been refraining from commenting but I feel lonely and left out so I gotta say something....
    Another crappy album cover !

The MEZ, Ludger, Dr. Pepper and 2 others like this.
  13. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Yes. Yet another one.

Solo Beatle albums in general do not get high marks for album art.

Ludger likes this.
  14. coco77

coco77 Forum Resident

I like the back cover better than the front! Linda looks great, although Denny looks a little goofy. The poster that came with it tho... :love:

omikron likes this.
  15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It’s funny, here he channels MJ with Girlfriend and on the next album he channels Stevie Wonder (Arrow Through Me), both of which he will collaborate with in the early 80’s.

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Next one

I ve had enough

Back in the screaming rocker chair this one didn t chart as good as most other wings singles. It s a decent rock n roll number with a cathy chorus. In my wiew though not one of Pauls more memorable ventures into this genre.
    A catchy tune nevertheless

Wikipedia:

“I’ve Had Enough” is a Wings’ single from their 1978 album London Town. It reached No. 25 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, No. 24 in Canada and No. 42 in the UK.

The song was written and sung by Paul McCartney. The music and an improvised chorus were recorded on board the boat Fair Carol in the Virgin Islands prior to the departure of Wings’ lead guitarist Jimmy McCulloch and drummer Joe English. According to McCartney, they didn’t have any of the words until the band returned to London from the Fair Carol recording sessions. He then wrote “a few” words and overdubbed the lyrics in London. McCartney referred to it as “just one of those ‘fed up’ songs.”

The song is in the key of D major. Music professor Vincent Benitez describes the song as a musically simple “guitar-dominated rocker,” with alternating verses and chorus following the introductory section. The lyrics primarily vent the singer’s frustration in the face of various circumstances.

Rolling Stone critic Janet Maslin claimed that “I’ve Had Enough” hints “at a minor mean streak, which “spices up” the London Town album “with a welcome note of discord.” McCartney biographer Peter A. Carlin claimed the song reflects “the righteous outrage of a man who can’t find his slippers.” Tom Waseleski of Beaver County Times praised McCartney’s “raspy, boyish vocal” as a throwback to his early days with the Beatles. Author Tim Riley calls it a “simplistic screamer.” Author John Blaney claims that it is “not very effective,” despite “a half decent riff and a snappy arrangement,” and suggests that the “negative” chorus may reflect McCartney’s dissatisfaction with the band at the time. In 2013, Rolling Stone Magazine rated it the #35 all-time Paul McCartney post-Beatles song, describing how it contrasted with Wings’ prior single, the “easygoing” “With a Little Luck” with “tough talk and guitars to match.” In that review, Rolling Stone suggested that the song’s “sarcastic snarl” was influenced by Elvis Costello.

The B-side, “Deliver Your Children”, was the second (and last) Denny Laine lead vocal on a Wings single. Maslin called “Deliver Your Children” “just wonderful,” calling it one of the best songs on London Town.

Last updated on February 22, 2014

Lyrics

You're talking to me from the back of the car
    And I can't get nothing right
    And then you wonder why I stand at the bar
    Day and night

Chorus

I've had enough
    I can't put up with any more
    No no no no no no no
    I've had enough
    I can't put up with any more
    No no no no no no no

You stand behind me with a watch in your hand
    And I can't get nothing done
    Well, people tell me you're a punctual man
    But come on

Chorus

I earn the money and you take it away
    When I don't know where you're from
    I should be worried but they say
    It'll pay for a bomb

Chorus

I've had enough

Baby you know sometimes you get a little weary
    But if it ever happens honey
    You just come along to me
    Because you know

Chorus

The MEZ, Who Cares and omikron like this.
  17. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Justifiably,too, IMO I love UA/AH , best. track. ever.

medley of Uncle Albert, for about 2:27, which has a verse, breif 20 sec. (??) instrumental passage, another verse,a brief instrumental where Paul plays "talk on the phone' (old school radio like stuff IMHO)., a few more notes, then"Admiral Halsey" for the rest of the track and single.

AH has a perky sax/horn passage repeated several times (keep reading), with "Hands across the water (water)/hand/Hands across the Sky", a military call (AH was a British WWII admiral) then the same repeated, then the one verse , chorus, bridge, chorus , another instrumental part (repeat) of the open to this part, chorus, instrumental fade out. Same basic song both ALBUM and SINGLE, though one would expect a few edited out verses for obvious rteason.s (Was the character of Unlce Albert based on Mary Poppins's Uncle Albert, as played in the 1964 Disney classic by the great, hilarious, Ed Wynn?)

Who Cares and omikron like this.
  18. Steve Carras

I have the record..I agree!

19. Steve Carras

VERY much like a "YELLOW SUBMARINE" lol :D (that is the FIRST I think of when I HEAR that SONG, post-Beatles though it IS! :D)

20. Steve Carras

Another Day 10/10
    Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey 10/10
    T00 Many People 7/10
    '

The MEZ likes this.
  21. Steve Carras

This was another :suite", well near-one with the unique vocal verse/instr.hook/bridge/hook/etc/.. and fit the movie..! (And, I have that one!)

omikron likes this.
  22. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

That's funny. I always liked Linda on the front cover better. She looked totally baked on the back cover.

It's probably my favorite Wings poster but the arm placement on Paul was weird. Like, is that Denny's arm with a ladies watch on? Did Linda break her arm to get it in that position?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Who Cares and coco77 like this.
  23. coco77

coco77 Forum Resident

Yeah she does look baked I guess! Or just really relaxed... those water wings sessions must have been fun!

I’m pretty sure that’s Linda’s hand...?

Who Cares and omikron like this.
  24. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Agree 100%. It's with under-developed songs like this one that you get the picture of how much Paul benefited from the input of having another great songwriter in the band -- and viceversa, of course.

25. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

It is. It better be!

Could be from a fourth mystery person. ;)

coco77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.