Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Famous Groupies: B side at best. Otherwise, another reason why LT feels cluttered and directionless.

BZync likes this.
  2. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Famous Groupies is clearly just Paul having a bit of fun. It's not my cup of tea but it would be missing the point to complain about it. So I will. Or, at least, discuss it.

There are two ways to look at this song within the context of London Town. Its a long album - 50 minutes. So you are either in the camp that would like to edit it down to a stronger 35 minute record or in the camp that views trifles like Famous Groupies as the bonus that comes from such a stuffed piece of vinyl. Hell, Paul gives us a full 15 minutes more material than the typical album of the time. It's almost an album and a half. But does that extra material equal extra value?

Much of Paul's solo career indicates clearly that he is not an editor - not of albums, not of songs. But it's a fun exercise to do some editing on Paul's songs and albums and compare them to the more sprawling, free for all releases. It's no surprise to me that people have already posted alternate track lists for London Town. What that tells me, though, is that there is enough good material on most of Paul's releases (sometimes adding non album singles) to make for much stronger records than those released - without dipping into outtakes and other unreleased tracks.

Remove your least favorite 15 minutes and London Town becomes a stronger album. Even without both stellar sides of the single the preceded it.

3. Paul Gase

Very nicely put.

As for FG and the albums running length, I admit to getting weary by the time this track is over. When’s this record gonna end??

I wish Girls School was on Spotify so I could complete my own LT redux. I’d have put on for sure. And Mull!

BZync likes this.
  4. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Girlfriend (7/10)
    This is a straight pop song with a soulful falsetto from McCartney throughout most of the song a bit like John Lennon did on “One Day” from a few years earlier. Paul has a pretty good falsetto but some fans may like him in his normal register more. The song is also not a friend of the hard rock fan who may think it’s to light but the bridge/coda where Paul sings normally is a big help and the guitar/synth break is actually pretty exciting – too bad it doesn’t go on longer. The song itself may not need to go on so long – though Paul sounds great singing the coda and I love the ‘sea of snow’ repetition, Denny and Linda sing well backing Paul’s falsetto but when their part of the record gets stuck on ‘doo, doo, doo, doo….’ for almost a minute and a half until the song ends. So the best part – the ‘sea of snow’ and the worst part the ‘doo-doo’s happen at the same time. The melody is decent, some of the backing is nice but overall, it’s slightly above average.

I’ve Had Enough (8/10)
    Yes, like @omikron n said, it’s the very first time I’ve heard Paul have just a touch of gravel and wear in his voice – maybe screaming “Soily” so many times through a huge tour with 30-song setlists did something but he’s not 100% here – it continues on “With A Little Luck” and “Morse Moose”. Listen to him as he closes the 2nd verse singing ‘well come on’. He still sounds great and pretty convincing - the rare rough and tough song for Paul – the rhythm hops and the guitar riff is alright but yes, like everyone said, the mix needs to be more aggressive or in-your-face. Live from 1979, the rhythm bopped more and nowadays, with a stellar live sound system, it would be fantastic. This was one of the songs that charted lower ending his excellent streak of massively successful singles. Along with “London Town” not doing as well either on the charts, Paul was churning out hits but they were just a touch below his standard.

With A Little Luck (10/10)
    Remember when I said that his hits now were just a notch below – um….let me spin that around for this one. This is near the top all-time for McCartney and a top ten song by Wings. Yes, some of the magic is gone without the long coda but it’s still another excellent vocal hook and a beautiful, singable melody. The synth work is the best he’s done yet and there’s stellar contrast between the dark “there is no end” section and the lovely and positive refrain. The synth works well both in sunshine and in the rain. The backing vocals, whether echoing “there is no end” or just oohing, are lovely.

When the song fades down to the coda, the synths generate a time-shifting swirl we hear on TV show dream sequences and we’re left on a boat with Wings, sailing down a cold UK river with a single synth tone with which to build upon. Gradually, the boat picks up some speed and we’re on the move forward past cold synth glaciers floating at our sides. A clockwork like kick drum keeps the steady pace More synths come in, one forceful moving forward, one pulsing foreboding bass harnessing the fear and trying to block it, and one providing the landscape of fog, mist and the freezing cold. But these Water Wings get through the darkness and fog as the band rev up again for one final go around. Bursting into the sunshine as the synths warm, Paul lets loose with the most impassioned vocal on the album – the highlight of the LP – “we can send it rocketing skyward!!” I love all the imagery, especially when he sounds happy as he calms down in serenity – “can’t you hear the comet exploding, whoa-oh, oh, oooooh”. Probably the best coda of his solo career.

5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Perfect description!

WilliamWes and SRC like this.
  6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Famous Groupies:
    Great, silly track that keeps the serene momentum going, yet lashes out from unexpected corners. It has a bit of a Red Rose Speedway-vibe going on, which is ironic since that album also gets criticised for not having enough rockers.

But the thing is, in the case of LT that doesn’t hurt the album at all. The album lives in it’s own little world and I think it’s stronger for it.

7. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

When Paul's attempts at humor crash and burn, they do so spectacularly. Famous Groupies may not be the cringiest, most gawdawful recording Paul McCartney ever released, but it's sure in the running. On a scale of 0-5 points, it rates -836.5

8. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Believe THAT was a BRIDGE, as the music is different. Another fine suite (and another fine Oliver Hardy paraphrase lol). Not so much strings but horns.; TO me, that is part of the chorus.

Who Cares likes this.
  9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

That was a bit unfair You could st least give the song -832,5
    :)

10. Bemagnus

Next one

Deliver your children

Oner of Dennys finest moments in Wings and one of the best songs on the album. Acoustic, driving folk-song with great harmony-singing. Also brilliant Spanish guitar from Denny

A great

Song facts

From Denny Laine, CultureSonar interview, December 24, 2018:

“Deliver Your Children” was one of mine. I lived in Spain for a while, took some flamenco guitar from there, so that gave it a bit of a different feel. Very me that song and people like it. Paul and I were very into folk music… I was into bluegrass… I like Django Reinhardt

Denny Laine

Last updated on March 18, 2019

Lyrics

Well, the rain was a-falling
    And the ground turned to mud
    I was watching all the people
    Running from the flood
    So I started to prayin'
    Though I ain't no prayin' man
    For the Lord to come a helpin'
    Knowing he'd understand

Deliver your children to the good good life
    Give ‘em peace and shelter and a fork and knife
    Shine a light in the morning and a light at night
    And if a thing goes wrong you'd better make it right

Well, I had me a woman
    She was good and clean
    She spent all day with the washing machine
    But when it come to lovin'
    She was never around
    She was out getting dirty
    All over town

Chorus

Well, I was low on money
    And my truck broke down
    I was on my way to the lost and found
    So I took it to a dealer
    I said make it run
    Well, I ain't got no money
    But I got me a gun

I said you robbed me before
    So I'm robbing you back
    And if it don't put you straight
    It'll put you on the right track
    Well, I ain't no devil and I ain't no saint
    But I can tell a dealer by the colour of his paint

Chorus

If you want good eggs
    You gotta feed that hen
    And if you wanna hear some more
    Well, I'll sing it again

The MEZ, Who Cares and omikron like this.
  11. Bemagnus

IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO YOU ALL
    Going on a sunny Cuban holiday now for two weeks. See you in early January

Since we want to finish London town I now p0st the remaing songs from that album

Next one

Name and address

I really like this free-wheelin rockabilly number. Much more now than when the album was released. Some pretty great guitar-licks in this one

12. Bemagnus

Next one

Don t let it bringe you down

A dark, moody psych-folk-number. And brilliant as such.

Features a sensational lead-vocal and wondruous melody and arrangement. Pauls plays the lead-guitar with gusto.

No wonder this gem and lost classic appeared on Pure McCartney. A highlight

Lyrics

Though some things in life are hard to bear
    Don't let it bring you down

Should the sand of time run out on you

Don't go down - don't go underground
    Things seem strange, but they change
    How they change

Up and down your carousel will go

Don't go down - don't get out of town
    Get to know how it goes, how it goes

When the price you have to pay is high

Don't Let it Bring You Down

13. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

[​IMG]

Have a nice holiday!

omikron and Bemagnus like this.
  14. Bemagnus

Next one

A WEIRD ONE

Morse Moose & The Grey Goose

I guess this is a dividing track. It s experimental and a bit weird with all kinds of stuff thrown in for good measure. I personally love the experimental side of Paul but don t regard this one as one of his most successful experiments. With that said it makes the album end in a spectacular way-with a splash

I actually like this song more now than back in the days. It s an interesting combinations of sound and really shows Paul wasn t the usual pop-artist. I love London town-the album and without this song it wouldn t be the same. London town is a unitygreat album that really stylistically is all over the place but still with a strong sense of

Song facts

From popmatters, June 14, 2012 – Seven of Paul McCartney’s Most Underrated Songs:

There are two different types of people in the world. Those who think “Morse Moose & The Grey Goose”, is a completely silly mess, and those who love it. I happen to belong to the latter group, and I saw we’re a lot more fun! I mean, how can anyone hate this? Equivalent to an ambitious sequel of “Yellow Submarine” with echoes of “Uncle Albert/ Admiral Halsey”, the song details a really rocking radio conversation between a warplane (Grey Goose) and a sub (Morse Moose).

Last updated on October 16, 2016

Lyrics

Right on down at the bottom of the sea
    Tell me are you receiving me?
    My name is Morse Moose and I'm calling you

The Grey Goose was a steady boat
    People said she'd never float
    One night when the moon was high
    The grey goose flew away

As we were sailing ‘round the rocks
    The mate took out his compass box
    And said the wind is like a fox
    But the grey goose flew away

When out upon the open sea
    The Admiral, the Mate and me
    Prepared to face eternity
    But the grey goose flew away

She flew into the stormy sea
    Davy Jones was calling me
    But heading for tranquility
    The grey goose flew away

omikron likes this.
  15. Bemagnus

I will for sure
    The carribean is far more pleasant this time of year than Sweden
    I:):):)

Piiijiii and omikron like this.
  16. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Have a great vacation @Bemagnus.

Always nice to go from this . . .

[​IMG]

to this . . .

[​IMG]

17. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Oh !You're leaving again ?
    What are the rest of us supposed to do for two weeks----just sit around and twiddle our Macca's?
    Have a good holiday.

The MEZ, BZync and Who Cares like this.
  18. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Deliver Your Children

A great folk song with nice lead harmonies and a terrific Spanish guitar sound.

Lyrics:

Well, the rain was a-falling
    And the ground turned to mud
    I was watching all the people
    Running from the flood
    So I started to prayin'
    Though I ain't no prayin' man
    For the Lord to come a helpin'
    Knowing he'd understand

Deliver your children to the good good life
    Give ‘em peace and shelter and a fork and knife
    Shine a light in the morning and a light at night
    And if a thing goes wrong you'd better make it right

Well, I had me a woman
    She was good and clean
    She spent all day with the washing machine
    But when it come to lovin'
    She was never around
    She was out getting dirty
    All over town

Chorus

Well, I was low on money
    And my truck broke down
    I was on my way to the lost and found
    So I took it to a dealer
    I said make it run
    Well, I ain't got no money
    But I got me a gun

I said you robbed me before
    So I'm robbing you back
    And if it don't put you straight
    It'll put you on the right track
    Well, I ain't no devil and I ain't no saint
    But I can tell a dealer by the colour of his paint

Chorus

If you want good eggs
    You gotta feed that hen
    And if you wanna hear some more
    Well, I'll sing it again

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney
    Written by Paul McCartney and Denny Laine
    Acoustic Guitar, Bass, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Backing Vocals by Linda McCartney
    Acoustic Guitar, Backing Vocals, Spanish Guitar, Vocals by Denny Laine
    Acoustic Guitar (?) by Jimmy McCulloch
    Drums by Joe English
    Label: MPL
    Release Date: March 31, 1978
    Recorded at Record Plant Mobile Studio, Fair Carol Yacht, US Virgin Islands / EMI Studios, Abbey Road
    Length: 4:18 minutes

Paul's own words:

BBC Interview 1978

omikron likes this.
  19. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Deliver Your Children...

Denny's version:

omikron likes this.
  20. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Deliver Your Children...

Denny Laine, live @ Red Clay Music Foundry 11/20/15:

omikron likes this.
  21. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Have a nice trip and give my regards to Ana de Armas :)

Bemagnus and MPLRecords like this.
  22. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Welp, since we are to finish LT while we patiently wait for our leader to return . . .

Deliver Your Children: 4.5/5 I haven’t fully thought it out but this might be Denny’s crowning achievement in Wings for me. Lyrically, it’s excellent work as the story unfolds. I also like the chugging acoustic guitar work with the Spanish guitar laid overtop it.

Name and Address: 5/5 This nod to Elvis is pretty off-the-cuff but I think it’s one of the best moments on London Town. The guitar bits and breakdown at the end push it over the top for me. It's so low-key it's probably one of the most organic and alive things Paul has done. Wild Life need some more of this.

Don’t Let It Bring You Down: 2.5/5 Despite the title’s advice, this song is kind of a let down. The moody, almost Celtic, chord changes though are interesting.

Morse Moose and the Grey Goose: 1/5 THIS is the song I want cut from the album. We'll see if I give a rating to an actual Paul song that's lower than this one. Doubt it.

Score: LT gets a cumulative score of 71% but I do place it a little higher on my list. So far my overall likes of the album have not really linked up with the cumulative song scoring. Otherwise LT would have ranked lower than WATSOS and well. . . that just can’t be.

LT is just a nice relaxing experience for me. It doesn't shatter glass or make the top of any lists. It just quietly goes about doing what it does. And it does it just at about 1 song too many for me.

BOTR 43/45 96%
    V&M 49.5/65 76%
    RRS 36/45 80%
    LT 49.5/70 71%
    RAM 41.5/60 68%
    WATSOS 43/55 78%
    McCartney 43/65 66%
    Wild Life 28.5/40 71%

Yep, like a bunch of infamous groupies . . . we wait for Bemagnus.

23. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I never really consider it, but side two of London Town might just be one of my favorite McCartney sides. I have a love for every song on it, and "Deliver Your Children" might be Denny's best Wings song!

24. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I don' t know about the rest of you Macca Men but I have no intention of sitting around while Bemagnus is off in Cuba getting a tan and smoking cigarillos.
    I will respect the thread in that 'London Town ' is the last McCartney release we discuss but we have to come up with some Paul/ Wings topics to talk about . Not just for our own sanity but to give Mister Off -On- Holiday something to read when he gets back.

The MEZ, Who Cares, Bemagnus and 2 others like this.
  25. Paul Gase

Possible topics?

1. All Wings outtakes/bonus tracks (not demos or alt mixes of already discussed tunes) starting with RAM and going through LT.
    2. Wings Over America has been used as a reference point so often that it seems a shame that a track by track discussion hasn’t been had. I know that aside from BOTR this was my most played post 1973 Wings release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.