Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Next song
    Now it s time for the big one
    Maybe Im amazed
    Even though Every Night is closer to my heart I would not argue this one is one if the best songs never made-by anyone. Just magnificent in every way and this version is fully realised on every way. Even if one prefer the one on Wings over America everything is already there in the original version
    Rock-music don t get much better than this

The MEZ, gja586, Who Cares and 5 others like this.
  2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Maybe you should just refer to this artist as Paul from here on .
    Cheers

3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I realize Macca wanted to keep this album release relatively low-key but ' Maybe I'm Amazed ' would have been a huge hit had it been released as a single.

4. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

One Paul's of best ever in or out of the Beatles. To be honest at the time it seemed like Paul could write a Hey Jude, Let It Be, or Maybe I'm Amazed at will, but as the years these went on unfortunately songs of this quality would be harder for Paul to write than it appeared in 1970.

5. Bemagnus

True-during this period great things seemingly poured out of Paul. He had claimed writing takes much more effort and time at older age.

6. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Definite towering classic, 5/5. One of the best post-Beatles songs of 1970 -- in fact, one of the best post-Beatles songs ever, by any of the four. And maybe in Paul's all-time top 10. Unless you are the type to give, say, Kreen-Akrore a 5 (and I notice many here are the type) in which case it ties for number 1 with every other song he's ever written.

Fantastic vocal and instrumental performance. It's almost a cliche to write anything about it.

7. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

5/5. Putting this track in the penultimate spot is key McCartney.

8. Cpt. Crunch

Cpt. Crunch Forum Resident

One of the greatest songs of all time. Simple as that.

The MEZ, GAW Jr., Who Cares and 4 others like this.
  9. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Agreed. Amazing performance and song. Definitely one of his best multi instrumentalist moments. 5/5

Crimson Witch likes this.
  10. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

Simply stunning song & performance.

When asked what one song he’d like to be remembered for writing, he said this one, and it’s hard to argue with his choice.

I’m sure the fact that he wrote it about his new love, Linda, makes it extra special for him.

5/5

11. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Jumping back into this thread after a week and a half on the road. Not going to try to catch up with everything, but on Ooh You, I'll just say this is another of several tunes on the album that feels like a character sketch for a song and not much more. It's pleasant enough, but just another one of Paul's musical doodles. No, the occasional one-off bit of lightweight nonsense is fine, but after a while the succession of unfinished songlets begins to wear on me, especially knowing what greatness the man is capable of.

12. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

"Maybe I'm Amazed" is one of the best songs that McCartney ever wrote.

The original version is my favorite one. The guitar solo is gritty and the vocal performance is one of his best.

13. Bemagnus

I also think the original is the one
    Even though the Live in Europe and love over America are real killers
    But the wondruous thing is-it s all there in the original version. However great the live-versions are they copy all the ingrediens in the original version
    It s pure musical genius to compose, arrange and play it all

Crimson Witch and Rojo like this.
  14. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I don't have much to say about Maybe I'm Amazed as a composition. It's pretty perfect. Could have been a highlight on Abbey Road.

Much of McCartney's early solo years open a can of "what ifs" for me. We all know the critical reception that this album got. I wonder what would have been different if this track were released as a single. I have no doubt that it would have become a smash hit. Would the obvious quality of this as a lead single have softened the critical ire he received?

15. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Yes, I've been reading along and I think if we love Paul enough to give all 5/5 ratings than it's worth at least ranking the songs like @omikron mentioned. Half of the songs on here have been called 'genius' so far and I can't tell right now if people think "Maybe I'm Amazed" is fantastic or just everything's equally fantastic which then waters down the praise of his very best.

"Maybe I'm Amazed" is perhaps his best solo song in my opinion and it's everything everyone here says it is. It's the best song on this album.

16. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

A bit late to the party .... but:

McCartney (1970)

Tracks + brief Review:

The Lovely Linda - A charming 45 second fragment. 3.0/5

That Would Be Something -
    A repetitive blues track. 2.5/5

Valentine Day -
    An interesting blues instrumental doodle. 2.5/5

Every Night -
    A great McCartney track. Very single friendly. Only eclipsed on the album by one of the top 100 recordings ever made. 5.0/5

Hot As Sun/Glasses -
    I really like the reggae guitar/Caribbean vibe to this instrumental before it goes into Pink Floyd going weird mode at the end. 3.5/5

Junk -
    A charming late period neglected Beatles outtake, harking back to his youth. 4.5/5

Man We Was Lonely -
    MacCa goes a bit music hall. I personally don't enjoy the results and find this too hokey to listen to. 2.0/5

Oo You -
    A good demo Stonesy rocker. It gives me Stray Cat Blues vibes. 3.5/5

Momma Miss America -
    I really like this. I like the echo piano sound on this instrumental complimenting with the bass guitar. 4.0/5

Teddy Boy -
    Another of the Beatles outtakes. Not quite as engaging as Junk. A poor man's Rocky Raccoon. 3.5/5

Singalong Junk -
    A charming instrumental take of Junk. I love the use of the Mellotron on this. 4.0/5

Maybe I'm Amazed -
    One of the greatest recordings in popular music ever. Arguably the greatest one man band recording ever made. 5.0/5

Kreen-Akrore -
    I actually really like the drum orientated instrumental. A decent palate cleanser to close the album proper. 3.0/5

----------------------------------------

I presume the McCartney Deluxe Version outtake compositions will be included to be reviewed shortly?

17. Harry S. Anchan

Harry S. Anchan Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm amazed. Maybe I'm not! What would this world be without Paul's fabulous music? He and Ringo are like the Energizer bunny. They will never stop recording, luckily for us.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  18. Dr. Pepper

Yeah, sometimes I think along these lines. What if The Beatles decided to just let it be, pun intended, after they released Abbey Road. "That's our swan song man, everybody just take your "Let It Be" songs and do with them as you wish, but as a project let's just stick a fork in "Let it Be."
    Now that's not too far fetched, in that it was obviously quite a few steps down from Abbey Road in quality. Think of how that would have impacted Paul's first solo release, if he were to add Long and Winding Road, Let It Be, and possibly Get Back to his album and dropped a few of the instrumentals. It would have been a watershed moment in music history and eclipsed or at least equalled all of the others solo releases in 1970.

19. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I wanted to give more proper ratings to this album. I'm actually a bit critical of it at times and don't think compared to other Paul songs, it should be all fives. McCartney is a low-fi joy to listen to but really there are just enough noodling around that that simply is all it is.

Someone mentioned earlier that if you were going to go the low-key, all-out folksy album . . . that's fine but then don't pad it with sheer genius like Maybe I'm Amazed. It makes people think you're actually trying to make a good album. Never thought of this before but it turns out I think I've always subconsciously thought this when assessing the album myself.

Just as a reference point, when I rate on this thread, it will be compared to only Paul's work, not musicians in general (otherwise it would all be fives!)

The Lovely Linda: 2.5/5 - A bit creepy with the tempo slightly wobbling a bit. Nice intro though that sets the mood of the album

That Would Be Something: 2.5 / 5 - Simple. A bit too simple.

Valentine Day: 3/5 - Getting into the instrumentals early, Paul. Should be obvious now what this album is about. Still, this is a nice piece. It was probably hard to lay down that acoustic guitar track independent of the others.

Every Night: 5/5 - Instant classic. Glad to see he finished up this old song he proposed to the Beatles. Just the slightest bit of echo/reverb or whatever that is on Paul's voice? Nice anyway.

Hot As Sun/Glasses: 2.5/5 - Fun track with some nice use of acoustic guitar. Use of wine glasses at end is thinking outside of the box but is it the best way to finish this track with the snip of Suicide at the end?

Junk: 2.5/5 - I can't put myself in the 'great song' camp like so many others of you. Just average Paul for me.

Man We Was Lonely: 2.5/5 - Simple like "That Would Be Something".

Oo You: 4.5/5 - A serious rocker. I love the sparse nature of it too. Sounds like a garage band rocking out.

Momma Miss America: 3.5 / 5 Another effective instrumental like "Valentine Day". Gives each instrument a chance here with the guitar and the piano. And bonus tempo change and MORE guitar which is NOW so reminiscent of "Naked" from Egypt Station.

Teddy Boy: 2/5 - Like Junk, I'm not really biting into this one. I prefer the song about the other bear that he sung about. Joke joke (yes I know a Teddy Boy is not a real bear).

Singalong Junk: 4/5 - Way better than just your run of the mill regular junk. This is some much nicer junk.

Maybe I'm Amazed: 5/5 - Well duh.

Kreen-Akrore: 3.5/5 - Gosh, he pulled this well out of the blue. Some complicated overdubbing here for just 4 tracks. I like the guitar solo and vocal "ahhhhhh" bits with Linda. Like a release of all that tension. Why so tense, Paul? What are you doing?

20. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

2/5 for Kreen Akrore, not crazy about this track

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  21. Bemagnus

Ok here it comes
    Kreen-Akrore akrore
    Noone exept Paul would put this one after Maybe som amazed as the albums closing track. Must admit I did not like this much egen the album arrived. I have changed since then and rather like it. Great guitar-sound and the drumpart are fun . A weird track that actually contains some good and interesting music. Guess Paul might have been slightly intoxicated when recording it but i s still a fun track.

Lance LaSalle and omikron like this.
  22. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Paul should have hit the public up with Maybe I'm Amazed as a single in late Feb, right after Instant Karma... bam!

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Maybe I'm Amazed - 5/5 what else

Kreen Akore - I like the overall vibe of the thing, especially the vocal section and the textbook McCartney-style guitar solo. It's not something I put on mix tapes but as a part of this peculiar little album I like it. 3/5

The MEZ and omikron like this.
  24. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

I like Kreen Akrore, I do wish it had less drums and more guitar parts! The guitar is really cool but the sections are much shorter than I remember.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  25. Dr. Pepper

McCartney's LET IT BE (1970) - IF THERE WERE NO LET IT BE ALBUM BY THE BEATLES

Paul McCartney's Let It Be, a playlist by Dr. Pepper on Spotify

Track List - first go at it

Side One

The Long and Winding Road

The Lovely Linda

Two Of Us -
    Linda sings John's part

Maybe I'm Amazed

Junk

That Would Be Something

I've Got A Feeling

Side Two

Every Night

Man We Was Lonely

Get Back

Oo You

Teddy Boy

Let It Be

Goodbye

Should we keep any of the instrumentals?

P.S. Tell me this wouldn't be one of the all time classic albums in history and perhaps considered the best debut album by anybody ever.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Wil1972, The MEZ, gja586 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.