Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about No More Lonely Nights...

Encore :)

8 Bits Version...

There is a videogame:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Band on the Run (8 Bits) is here, there and everywhere when the player is searching the missing notes of No More Lonely Nights:

2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Next one

Not such a bad boy

I don t think this is the right forum to discuss the re-recordings on the Broad Street-album so let s focus on the new original songs.

This one is a rocker that I don t particularly enjoy. Imo it s a bit of generic rock with -even for Paul-dumb lyrics. It seems more than it pretends to be rockin and rebellious- but I don t think it sounds all that authentic. Also think this crack-band with aces Dave Edmunds and Chris Spedding plus Ringo on drums could have given a more explosive sound.

Song facts

A song written for the film. It’s a line Harry says, claiming he’s just manipulated. It nearly didn’t make it into the film, but Linda and Ringo really loved it and requested its reinstatement. So I said to Peter Webb that we would try it and if it didn’t work we would drop it. It worked out well in the end. All the stuff about lawyers and jails and teachers and women – it’s all sort of experiences of mine, slightly inflated.

Paul McCartney – From the “Give My Regards To Broad Street” book, Pavilion Books, 1984

I laughed at the teachers
    Who taught in my school
    They kept one arm bandits
    In the swimming pool
    They don't understand me
    But they never will
    And if was there
    I'd be telling them still

I'm not such a bad boy no more, no more, no more

I followed the leader
    Into her tent
    But nobody told me that she owed some rent
    She wanted to love me, I wanted to go
    But she taught me things that I needed to know

She wanted to love me, I wanted to go
    Well she taught me things that I needed to know

I talked to my lawyer, he picked up my bail
    Won't someone get me out of this lousy jail
    We're both in agreement that crime never pays
    And I should be out in a couple of days

omikron, Who Cares and Piiijiii like this.
  3. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Last night I listened to Side 2 of Pipes of Peace for the first time in a long while. For me, it's mediocre, but very nice sounding, inconsequential fluff just as I remembered. It really is prime bait for the McCartney haters!

FWIW, my scores are as follows:

The Man - extremely lightweight but quite fun and with some nice guitar work: 2.5/5

Sweetest Little Show - some excellent bass work, part of the middle guitar solo reminds me of Someone Who Cares: 2.5/5

Average Person - another fun tune with some nice piano parts and I like the bass parts I can hear - though I enjoyed it less than I remembered : a low 3/5

Hey Hey - this was actually better than I remembered. Yet more inconsequential fun with great bass playing. I really liked the slow fusion part in the middle! 3/5 :)

Tug of Peace - still dire. A little like a funkier cousin to Pretty Little Head: 1/5

Through Our Love - a generic, by-the-numbers 80s Macca power ballad, so not my cup of tea: 1/5

Overall, this is probably my least favourite Macca LP side - just beating Side 2 of Press to Play to that "honour".

Hey Hey followed Tug of Peace is maybe the worst sequencing on any Macca album. For me, however, it's the final two tracks that are the major problem. They're a bit like Revolution 9 and Good Night, which are the only Beatles songs I ever skip. As my copy of PoP is an LP, however, I was "strong" and listened all the way to the end!

I'm a big fan of Side 1 though:

Pipes of Peace: 4/5
    Say Say Say: 3.5/5
    The Other Me: 3/5
    Keep Under Cover 4/5
    So Bad: 3/5

:agree:

omikron and Who Cares like this.
  4. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

No More Lonely Nights ballad version : 5/5 :agree::agree::agree:

The melody of the opening line is another moment of McCartney genius and then the song morphs into 80s Pink Floyd at the end - awesome! I wonder how much longer the guitar solo continued.

I'm not so keen on the playout version: 2/5

I'd give the movie 1/5.

I finally saw it sometime in the late 80s when my then girlfriend bought me a used VHS copy from Blockbuster!! (To think I bought her The Stone Roses LP!!!!!!) At least nowadays You Tube means you can just watch the music bits, which are all good fun, except for maybe Silly Love Songs. :shake:

Incidentally, does anyone know how Chris Speeding and Dave Edmunds came to be involved with the movie/LP?

omikron, Who Cares and Guy Smiley like this.
  5. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Not Such a Bad Boy: 3/5

Solid and fun, with some nice guitar and bass work. Less keen on the 80s drum sound that permeates most of ToW, PoP and this album. The congas(?) add a nice bit of interest.

It was good to see Chris Speeding again, whom I remembered from his excellent 1975 UK hit single Motorbikin':

6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Mind Games getting a mention...
    Are you serious??? :laugh:

WilliamWes and Who Cares like this.
  7. Bemagnus

Chris Spedding made some excellent albums and singles at the time beside wirkon all over the place in the studio

BZync likes this.
  8. Bemagnus

Another good one from Chris Spedding
    Chris Spedding --- Wild In The Street

BZync and gja586 like this.
  9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Why not discuss them ? They're horrid and need to be talked about.
    But it's your thread so you rock it as you see fit.

10. Bemagnus

It s a song by song thread. We didn t discuss each and every track on Wings over America either. But I don t mind if anyone feel the need to discuss the re-recordings on the Soundtrack album

11. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Not Such A Bad Boy 2.5/5
    The album cover with the terrible shirt makes it obvious that Paul is indeed not a bad boy anymore ... I wish he was in 1984. "One arm bandits ... in the swimming pool", really?

12. Wildest cat from montana

Not discussing ' Wings Over America ' was a grievous oversight on somebody's part..
    Not pointing any fingers.
    It was Bemagnus ' s fault...he let us down ...let the whole thread downn..too concerned with his Cuba trips and not caring about us at all

13. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

[​IMG]
    "I can read that dude!"

I think it is the right move to exclude live tracks and the re-makes.

WilliamWes, Who Cares, coco77 and 2 others like this.
  14. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Huh. And here I kinda like “Ode.” In fact, other than the title song to Pipes of Peace, I like it better than anything on the album. I think of plenty lower lows when it come to Paul’s catalogue. 3.5/5.

Who Cares and Piiijiii like this.
  15. Guy Smiley

All songs that should’ve been included. In many cases I like those B-sides better than many of the album tracks.

16. Guy Smiley

Exactly. Surprised to see all the dismissive comments towards this one.

Put simply, this was the song that turned me into a McCartney fan and still one my all-time favorites. Gorgeous production, and Gilmour just slays on the guitar.

I have no need for those extended remixes (Some things about the 80s are best left forgotten) but the original song is as majestic as anything in Paul’s catalogue. 6/5.

WilliamWes, gja586, Who Cares and 2 others like this.
  17. Guy Smiley

Just. Stop. Right there.

In the 80s, I’d argue Billy was doing Paul better than Paul was. In fact, on The Nylon Curtain he was practically being all of the Beatles and it was awesome.

Of course, Billy and Paul have shared the stage together a number of times, and are good friends. And Billy always sounds good when covering The Beatles onstage (Which he’s done, many times).

Regardless, stop there or you and I will go to war.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress. :D

BZync, WilliamWes and Who Cares like this.
  18. coco77

coco77 Forum Resident

this... is totally ridiculous and I want it. This thread is such a goldmine! Thank you everybody!

Who Cares likes this.
  19. Guy Smiley

Difference being, Billy’s was a live album that specifically featured songs from before his commercial breakthrough (The Stranger album) and songs that he felt got lost in the shuffle. He also left off the two actual hit songs (Piano Man, and The Entertainer) he’d had during that pre-Stranger time. Most live albums have old songs anyhow, so this isn’t the same thing.

One of the albums he included songs from (Cold Spring Harbor, his first solo LP) wasn’t even in print at the time, so you couldn’t get those songs. Also, Billy wasn’t entirely happy with the production on those early albums, and felt the songs benefitted from he and his band playing onstage. He was right. The songs have more energy, and rock harder than their original versions. Songs In the Attic is an excellent album.

Paul was maligned unfairly, I agree, for simply recasting old songs in a new light for use in his film. If he’d just done an album of rerecorded Beatles/Wings/solo songs I’d understand the barbs. But in context of a movie and narrative (Such as it was)? What’s the big deal?

It wasn’t intended to ever replace The Beatles and their songs. I rather like what he did with most of the songs. The three new songs for the soundtrack are the true standouts for me, but I think the whole soundtrack is rather good (The film is a different matter).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    WilliamWes, gja586 and Who Cares like this.
  20. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

[​IMG]

WilliamWes, coco77 and Guy Smiley like this.
  21. Wildest cat from montana

I must admit I did enjoy his Lennonesque/ McCartneyesque vocals on that album. Didn't hear anything Harrisonesque or Starresque there though.
    Cheers

WilliamWes and Who Cares like this.
  22. Wildest cat from montana

" He shoulda called his ode to me : ' I Am The Koala Bear ' . John would have dug that. "

WilliamWes, Who Cares and Piiijiii like this.
  23. Guy Smiley

That little guy will feel better after munching on that eucalyptus. As Paul and Father Guido Sarducci once discussed (Sadly, I can’t find a clip of it!).

EDIT: Here it is, but have to scroll to about 4:25 to get to the Paul/Father Guido stuff. Still hilarious:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  24. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

[​IMG]
    Roar roar a-joop!

Guy Smiley likes this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

What " everybody " ?
    The only one doing any work here is Who Cares. The rest of us are just babbling : ' I like this , I don't like that , I give it it a 4 , I give it a 5, I love Paul , I love him more than you love him....'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.