Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Really Love You

A powerful jam with a strong drum beat by Ringo and a fantastic bass line by Paul. Great performance and vocals with a nice melody. They really are rocking, having fun and enjoying the moment.

Lyrics:

Well I need you
    Through the night
    When morning comes
    I love the light
    But in the night-time
    That dark is black
    Come on baby
    You got to help me get back

I love you, oh yeah
    I really love you, oh yeah

Do one thing
    Do one thing for me
    If you've got love
    Then let me see

If you feel it in your heart
    Then show it right now
    You know I love you baby
    I gotta get to you, get to you somehow

Oh yeah, I really love you
    You know it's true

I really love you
    Day and night
    Yeah, I really love you
    In the morning light
    I really love you
    Sure be right
    Come on little baby
    Gotta find out find out somehow

Yeah, yeah, really love you
    Oh yeah, really love you

I love the things
    You say and do
    I can't get over
    How much I love you

You know you do something
    Special to me
    And that's the way
    I want it always to be, yeah

Oh yeah, really love you

I need your love
    Like a bear needs a break
    I need your heart, baby
    Hopping on a plate
    I need the sunshine
    Of your smile
    Help me walk
    Help me walk that extra mile

Little baby, I love you
    Oh yeah, you know I really love you
    Oh yeah, you know it's true
    Oh yeah, I love you

I love you

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney, Jeff Lynne
    Written by Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr
    Backing Vocal, Bass Guitar, Electric Guitar, Wurlitzer Piano, Lead Vocal by Paul McCartney
    Drums by Ringo Starr
    Backing Vocal, Electric Guitar by Jeff Lynne
    Engineered by Geoff Emerick, Jon Jacobs
    Assistant engineer: Keith Smith
    Label: Parlophone
    Release Date: May 5, 1997
    Recorded at Hog Hill Studio, Rye, UK
    Length: 5:14 minutes

Paul's own words:

From In The World Tonight Film:

[/QUOTE]

omikron likes this.
  2. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Really Love You...

The song was the complement of the second The World Tonight CD single:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

omikron likes this.
  3. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Really Love You...

Twin Freaks version:

Really Love You (5:52 minutes)

Promo 12":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Promo CD:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12" Single:

[​IMG]

The song:

4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I don’t have the CDs near me at the moment, but I don’t believe there are George Martin orchestrations in either “Motor of Love” or “It’s Not True”.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Who Cares, Bemagnus and MPLRecords like this.
  5. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I’m playing Flaming Pie right now and there is one thing I forgot to mention previously before I listened to the album again .

What doesn’t get mentioned much but is really important to me anyway, is an album’s production .

Flaming Pie has Paul’s vocals upfront with no, or very little reverb, etc. Also, it was probably Jeff Lynne’s input but the drums are mixed up front, not buried and the entire album sounds very clean and natural, not muddy but not sterile either.

I’m convinced that an album’s production (including arranging) is almost as important to me as an album’s songs.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  6. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Really Love You - is another obvious choice to cull if you want to edit the album to old school LP length. However, I presume Paul included it (a) because he had fun recording it and (b) because it features Ringo. It's therefore a favourite of his and that's why it's here and not on a B-side.

I view it as playing a similar role to Revolution 9. Even if it probably shouldn't be included on musical merit, it adds to the overall character of the album. It also provides a pause for breath / palette cleanser before the big finale: 3/5.

Beautiful Night - starts with classic McCartney ballad vocal melodies in the verses and ends with that glorious coda, which is possibly the highlight of the album. The opening bass fill (reminds of the bass fill towards the end of Paperback Writer), the guitar fills, George M's horn parts and Ringo's vocal appearance combine to produce something truly magical.

In my alternative universe, The Threetles didn't work on Free As A Bird and Real Love but instead recorded and released a CD single with one new song from each of them. (I suppose they could maybe have included one of the Lennon songs as well.) Beautiful Night would be Paul's contribution, with George H appearing alongside George M and Ringo.

As it is, it's the final appearance of Paul, Ringo and George M together (three fifths of the Beatles if you like) and is a worthy farewell.

This video sequence about the recording of the song is one of my all-time favourites and I always find it a bit moving when Linda appears around the eight minute mark:

Of course, the song itself is a 5/5! :agree::agree::agree:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  7. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Somedays (9)

The lyrics and themes continue to be way deeper than normal, a sign that Paul is maturing and really buckling down to get the message across completely. With the upbeat opening, this song has a more dour, depressing effect. Most of the song is sad and reflective “sometimes I laugh to think how young we were” – Paul misses those days especially after doing the ‘Anthology’ project. “Sometimes I cry I cry for those who live in fear”. With Linda being ill, it’s such a sad feeling to know that she’s behind these songs. George Martin brings in a bittersweet string section to really get the tear ducts welling up and it all works. Beautiful melody, strings, even the acoustic guitar coda is graceful. It’s just so touching. Thanks Paul for inviting me, I’m glad I’m here.

Young Boy (9)

The magic continues. Wow, what inspiration Paul must have had from the Beatles project to come with so many delectable melodies and one can’t help but think of the other albums Mick Cartknee did that were under duress and turned out extra incredible. Ram, Band On The Run, Flaming Pie-all albums that heavily benefitted from Paul’s personal life being turned on its head. Only Press To Play failed in that respect (though it’s not so bad itself).

The song I first heard in ‘Father’s Day’ and introduced me to my first album of Paul that I bought right away. It was a fun time for me in my life and this song holds the memories best. Fab hooks and just all the hallmarks of a hit single are in “Young Boy”. Again, it’s another single that easily would have been top 25, maybe top 10 in the 70’s. Another very good solo – is this Miller again or McCartney? It has a bit of a throwback feel as well -another where the acoustic and electric guitars bond naturally. Organs are great at conveying dark and bright emotions-here it’s a sunny organ break brings us to a final calming chorus. What a blast this one is. It’s youthful itself.

Calico Skies (8.5)

No Paul, it’s okay, I’m good. No really, you don’t have to give me any more great melodies -those were satisfying enough. Really, another one – alright, since you’re in the mood and on a major hot streak, let’s hear what you got. Oh this is too good, thank you so much, talk to ya later.

A love song for Linda, one of the final ones, “while the angels of love protect us from the inner most secrets we hide” is a great line – the extra work on the lyrics pays off big time as all of the great melodies are now getting great lyrics too. Lovely acoustic accompaniment and Paul’s genuine vocal is great. I’m not sure where this ranks among is great acoustic tracks but it’s up there. Fine arrangement from George Martin – perhaps a little too busy but graceful.

Flaming Pie (8)
    Paul you’ve been a very gracious host, but I couldn’t have another bit – the first 6 courses were great. Dessert? I don’t know if I have room for dessert. A pie? I like pie. Um…Paul, your pie’s on fire. What do you mean it tastes better this way? Alright just put out the flames first.

With it’s 50’s piano progression and look back at memories of the early Beatles, Paul sings about some of the crazy things he did as a kid. There's no pretense to this, it's just for fun. “I took my brains out and stretched them on the rack/now I’m not so sure I’m ever gonna get ‘em back” – is a throwaway line but not quite. If Paul is reminiscing about The Beatles name origin, then like “Ballroom Dancing”, he goes through things he did as a kid. ‘Stretching his brains’ reminds me of the line in Anthology when Paul was explaining why he was hesitant to take LSD, telling us people warned him he may never think the same after the first time doing it. This could fit on ‘Ram’ easy. That was a sweet one.

BZync, Who Cares, Bemagnus and 5 others like this.
  8. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Agreed.

I've argued elsewhere a couple times how production values often are a sign of the times so we can't really look back with 20/20 vision and fully criticize decisions.

But it still doesn't change the fact that there certain things just sound awesome or sound just like crap based on production alone. It can make or break the excitement you may feel for a track.

It's old hat by now and probably wouldn't happen but it would be killer for Paul to do a Rick Reuben-styled Johnny Cash American series of recordings. Just Paul out there up front in his craggly voice doing some classics ala Unplugged or all those classics recorded during the New World Tour soundchecks.

Bemagnus, gja586 and Glenn Christense like this.
  9. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Been missing out on a lot here, spending my precious time with my family alongside work.

Happy Easter and TAKE CARE!
    I’ll be catching up any time soon!

10. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Nice post! This makes me see that Flaming Pie is yet another song that would fit nicely on the Run Devil Run album.

Bemagnus and WilliamWes like this.
  11. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

Great Day.
    Gorgeous track. Perfect closer. He just has an innate gift to create music that makes you feel glad to be alive. He's done it over and over again, which is why he's the best ever.

Bemagnus, JDeanB, coco77 and 5 others like this.
  12. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Great Day 5/5
    Probably my favourite "Flaming Pie" track. It works on so many levels ... it's just perfect. Linda's background vocals are pleasant and soothing.
    Another much appreciated positive Macca song but a bit cooler and darker as usual if that makes any sense. The perfect album closer that indicates an ending as well as a new beginning. A favourite for sure.

13. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Yeah that 50's sound. Thanks I hadn't realized Paul invited us to hang out a couple of times early in the album, only when I wrote up something for "The Song We Were Singing" and "If You Wanna" so I took that and ran with it. :)

14. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

The Song We Were Singing 4/5
    The World Tonight 4/5
    If You Wanna 3.5/4
    Somedays 5/5
    Young Boy 3/5
    Calico Skies 5/5
    Flaming Pie 3/5
    Heaven On A Sunday 2/5
    Used To Be Bad 2/5
    Souvenir. 4/5
    Little Willow. 5/5
    Really Love You. 2/5
    Beautiful Night. 5/5
    Great Day. 4/5

15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Well...everyone seems to be enjoying ' Flaming Pie ' . Good ! It's a tasty offering to be sure.
    And not a bad album cover either. Not cheesy ( talking about you ' Press To Play ) , not artsy-fartsy ( ' Pipes of Peace ' ) , not
    pointless ( ' Off the Ground ' ). Just a good cover with a bit of an edge to it.

Dr. Pepper, Ludger, Who Cares and 5 others like this.
  16. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Taste vary, I love the PRESS TO PLAY cover, and the OFF THE GROUND cover isn't pointless, it shows exactly what the title says, with their feet mid air, they're all OFF THE GROUND!

GREAT DAY - One of those ABSOLUTELY STELLAR ACOUSTIC SONGS that only McCartney can do! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SONG! Every time I hear it, it is a GREAT DAY!

17. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Beautiful Night

A masterpiece. This is a beautiful ballad with great vocals, lyrics, harmonies and melody and a wonderful orchestration work by George Martin. The songwriting is excellent, a perfect mix of sounds and words, with a simple and joyful performance, a magical inspiration, and linked feelings. Ringo Starr gives us a fantastic connection with Paul, transforming and creating an unforgettable song. Then suddenly, at the end, a powerful drum beat and guitar riff breaks the serenity moment, an ode to happiness, a magic feeling, a The Twotles magic moment, a beautiful night. Bravo!!!

Lyrics:

Someone's gone out fishing
    Someone's high and dry
    Someone's on a mission, to the lonely Lorelei
    Some folks got a vision of a castle in the sky
    And I'm left stranded, wondering why

You and me together
    Nothing feels so good
    Even if I get a medal from my local neighbourhood
    I won't need a castle, they've got castles in Versailles
    And I'm still stranded, wondering why

Make it a beautiful night for me
    It's a beautiful night for love
    A wonderful sight for lovers of love to behold

Some boat's on the ocean
    We're here in this room
    Seems to me the perfect way to spend an afternoon
    We can look for castles, pretty castles in the sky
    No more wondering, wondering why

Things can go wrong, things can go right
    Things can go bump in the dead of the night
    So let me be there, let me be there
    Let me be there with you in the dead of the night

Such a beautiful night for love
    Such a wonderful sight for lovers of love to behold

Yeah, it's a beautiful night
    Yeah, it's a beautiful night

Yeah, beautiful night, beautiful night
    It's such a beautiful night, beautiful night.

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney, Jeff Lynne
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Acoustic Guitar, Additional Percussion, Backing Vocal, Bass Guitar, Electric Guitar, Hammond Organ, Piano, Wurlitzer Piano, Lead Vocal by Paul McCartney
    Additional Percussion, Backing Vocal, Drums by Ringo Starr
    Backing Vocal by Linda McCartney
    Acoustic Guitar, Backing Vocal, Electric Guitar by Jeff Lynne
    Orchestration by George Martin
    Conducted by David Snell
    Trumpets by John Barclay/Andrew Crowley/Mark Bennett
    Trombones by Richard Edwards, Andy Fawbert
    Horns by Michael Thompson, Richard Watkins, Nigel Black
    Violins by Marcia Crayford, Adrian Levine, Belinda Blunt, Bernard Partridge, Jackie Hartley, Keith Pascoe, David Woodcock, Roger Garland, Julian Tear, Briany Shaw, Rita Manning, Jeremy Williams, David Ogden, Bagustav Kostecki, Maciej Rokowski, Jonathan Rees
    Violas by Robert Smissen, Stephen Tees, Levine Andrade, Philip Dukes, Ivo Van Der Werff, Graeme Scott
    Celli by Anthony Pleeth, Stephen Ortoni, Martin Loveday, Robert Bailey
    Double Bass by Chris Laurence, Robin McGee
    Flute by Susan Milan
    Oboe by David Theodore
    Engineered by Geoff Emerick, Jon Jacobs
    Assistant engineer: Keith Smith
    Orchestral session engineers: Geoff Emerick, Jon Jacobs, Peter Cobbin,
    Assistant engineer: Paul Hicks
    Label: Parlophone
    Release Date: May 5, 1997
    Recorded at Hog Hill Studio, Rye, UK / Abbey Road Studios
    Length: 5:03 minutes

Promo Film:

Directed by Julien Temple

18. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

The Song We Were Singing 4/5
    The World Tonight 3.5/5
    If You Wanna 3/4
    Somedays 5/5
    Young Boy 4.5/5
    Calico Skies 5/5
    Flaming Pie 3.5/5
    Heaven On A Sunday 3/5
    Used To Be Bad 3/5
    Souvenir. 3/5
    Little Willow. 5/5
    Really Love You. 3.5/5
    Beautiful Night. 4.5/5
    Great Day. 4/5

FLAMING PIE ALBUM 4.5/5

omikron likes this.
  19. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Beautiful Night...

The single was released in a picture sleeve on December 15, 1997

Promo CD:

[​IMG]

7" Picture Disc:

[​IMG]

CD # 1:

[​IMG]

This CD single has the following tracks about the song:

Oobu Joobu Part 5:

• Beautiful Night Chat
    • Paul and Ringo talk about "Beautiful Night"
    • Ringo Chat
    • Beautiful Night (Flaming Pie Mix)
    • Beautiful Night (Original Version)

CD # 2:

[​IMG]

coco77 and omikron like this.
  20. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

A behind the scenes, from In The World Tonight Film:

21. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Finally, a cover by BLAKE:

22. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Does anyone else think that suit makes him look like he's 300 lbs? Dreadful photo.

Like he's The Kingpin or something.

With hair.

And without the cigar.

And smiling.

[​IMG]

Of course it didn't stop me from tracking down the CDs and the 45.

23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Better to look like this guy than the Green Goblin.

Who Cares and omikron like this.
  24. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Not that it matters as you clearly like the album, but your mean score for the individual songs is only about 3.9. :)

25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

NEXT ONE
    Great day
    This acoustic Little song makes a great closing track after the grandeur of the song that came before. A song written many years before with a melodic theme first heard on Ram on(2) and Bug Barn Bed
    Greatly recorded and produced with a dream-like quality this song makes a fitting closure to och be of Pauls finest collection of songs ever.
    This revisit to Flaming Pie has made me look forward to the deluxe release more than ever

“Great Day” is the fourteenth and final song on Paul’s 1997 album “Flaming Pie“. The song was recorded 5 years earlier, even before “Off The Ground” was published ; but as even older roots, as explained in the album liner notes:

Seeking a short, simple song to close Flaming Pie, Paul McCartney has searched back 25 years to find “Great Day”, an acoustic number that he and Linda used to perform ‘sitting around the kitchen or when the children were dancing’. The candlelit evenings in Long Island, enforced by Hurricane Bob in August 1991, not only led Paul to write “Calico Skies” but also found him plucking this one from the memory vault. So, a year later, in the same session that he recorded his new number with George Martin, Paul also committed “Great Day” to tape for the first time (despite it’s years), not changing a hair of the arrangement or lyric.

“It’s just a little upbeat song of hope – to the point and in the spirit of the whole album.”

Paul McCartney, in Club Sandwitch n°82, Summer 1997:
    This is here to balance the “big-ness” of the previous track, following on from ‘Beautiful Night’ in the way that ‘Her Majesty’ came after The End’ on Abbey Road. ‘Great Day’ is a song that Linda and I used to sing when the kids were very small, a simple acoustic number with a good feel. I’ve always liked the song but never really had an opportunity to record it, so during the ‘Calico Skies’ session with George Martin, since it had been so easy to record that one little acoustic thing, I told George that I had this song too. The song is identical to how we used to do it 25 years ago.

Club Sandwich No 82 Summer 1997

Shop on Amazon
    “Great Day” was previously heard as an instrumental in the 1974 Backyard film. Also some are seeing similarities between “Great Day” and the verse melody of 1972 “Big Barn Bed“.

The song has been performed live only once during the 2003 Adopt-A-Minefield gala; and has been heard on very rare occasions during soundchecks.

Big Pasi, Who Cares, gja586 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.