Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

"Suicide" has alright lyrics, "Women Kind" is the one I called atrocious. I don't mind Paul's old time stuff either. Some are better than others but with "Suicide" there's no other parts really. It's just the same music repeated with no chorus, no bridge, okay melody.

2. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Mr H Atom / You Know I'll Get You Baby - Both songs have some interesting and pleasing synth sounds and "wacky" vocals but little else to commend them beyond the fact that the title line is repeated so often you cannot forget it. Still, they're both short, fun enough and not quite the worst tracks he's ever released: a low 2.5/5 each. :)

Who Cares, omikron and Piiijiii like this.
  3. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

A Love For You - I like this. It's catchy, is nicely performed and I really enjoy the meaty bass and piano parts (in the 1981 mix higher up this page). I probably wouldn't replace any of the Ram tracks with it, but its energy would have spiced up Wild Life a bit: 3.5/5.

4. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

A positive mediocre rating revealing a fun state of mind ... I like that :righton:

Who Cares, omikron and gja586 like this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

No I wouldn t replace any tracks on Ram with A love for you either. But that track is great and another proof of the creative roll Paul was having during the Ram era.

Ludger, The MEZ, omikron and 2 others like this.
  6. WilliamWes

[​IMG]
    How could you do this to "A Love For You"? Paul and I are heartbroken. :( I will now repost my review to console myself. LOL

A Love For You (9.5/10)

My absolute favorite previously unreleased Paul McCartney song. :nauga: Not only do I think it’s one of my favorite Macca songs ever but I think it’s the song that best represents Wings sound. I’m not sure how I got to this but when I looked at all the songs to find something that best represented Paul in the 70’s, this seems to be the signature sound – mainly of Wings, also of ‘Ram’. I think it could have fit ‘Ram’ and I’d take it over almost any song in the 70’s.

I love the melody, the positive energy, - this is the love song that feels like the song best representing the enthusiasm Paul had for Linda. I love the chorus and the way it’s sung with Paul sneaking in all the lyrics. “I really will, I really can, I really do have a love for you, yes I do”. I love the ‘yes I do’ – just making sure Linda knows. I love the ‘ohhh-oh’s interjected by Denny and Linda, the little buzzing guitar/synth links between sections – it’s so much fun – all the versions are great but Cold Cuts goes on longest so I use that one the most.

I was dying to talk about this during the Wings era and I know no one agrees about it best representing them (and their multiple eras) but I never hear about this one getting singled out. I was the only one disappointed when this wasn’t on Pure McCartney. I knew it couldn’t make a best of so I thought maybe on that one. Love having this and didn’t even know it was released in 2003 for a few months and then I found it and couldn’t believe the director of the movie specially picked this one off the bootleg. Thank goodness for that. We had 9 years earlier than the Box version. This hits me with excellence, charisma and likability.

7. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I've done exactly two cartwheels in my life (and it's not likely I'll do a third): When Jack Nicholson was announced to play The Joker, and when I found out "A Love For You" was finally getting an official release. It had long been my favorite unreleased McCartney song and had easily made it to my top ten, and in 2003 I finally got to say "released". Getting a second version in 2012 was just a major bonus.

For any of the versions (though my preference is still the Cold Cuts mix with the keyboard mixed up) it's an easy 5/5.

8. Bemagnus

I agree in everything you say about A Love For You with the exeption that I would not swich it for anything on Ram. That’s because I think Ram is a perfect case as it is

9. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

A Love for You is a lovely song, full of energy and fun. It's and I can't believe it remained unreleased, how is that even possible?.

I'd replace a number of Ram songs with it, preferibly Long Haired Lady.

Who Cares and Rojo like this.
  10. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

"A Love For You" is decent. I would have taken it over "3 Legs" (and certainly over "Bip Bop" from WILD LIFE.
    (6.5/10)

Who Cares and Rojo like this.
  11. WilliamWes

I was only kidding around anyway of course. I do agree 'Ram' remain as is compared to other albums where I'd do switching.

12. WilliamWes

Yes, The Joker was just as excellent. When I posted something earlier, I listed some of the differences of each version that was available and, same here, all the versions are so great but the Cold Cuts mix is particularly good. I still lean to the official ones because of the sound quality, but yeah, a lot of his magic is there, it seems like the prototype to a lot of the band's dynamics despite the original performances stemming from before Wings. We still don't have the exact details of who did what and when so there's some mystery to it that still remains.

Who Cares and MPLRecords like this.
  13. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Like Kisses On The Bottom, but love, love, love Complete Kisses especially the live from capital songs! Probably my favorite live album from Paul.

Who Cares, Paulwalrus and omikron like this.
  14. Dr. Pepper

Best Love 15/10 Just love everything about this fun little casual track!

omikron and Who Cares like this.
  15. Dr. Pepper

My Valentine 12/10

Wonderful romantic track, love every version I've heard.

Who Cares and Bruce M. like this.
  16. Dr. Pepper

Only Our Hearts 9/10

Absolutely amazing how Paul can right originals for Run Devil Run and Kisses that fit in so well with the vintage songs that many think they are covers. That is no easy trick!

Who Cares and omikron like this.
  17. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I think one of Paul's sometimes-overlooked talents is as a musical mimic. He does it both as a songwriter and a vocalist. Who else could channel Little Richard, Elvis, Fats Domino and Buddy Holly?

18. Dr. Pepper

Complete Kisses - Love all the live tracks that start from track 19!

13. "The Inch Worm" Loesser 3:43 7.5/10 probably the weakest track, but still enjoyable!
    14. "Only Our Hearts" McCartney 4:21 9/10 Nice original.
    15. "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)" Mel Tormé, Bob Wells 3:35 12/10 Want a whole Christmas album like this, sooo bad!
    16. "Baby's Request" McCartney 3:30 7.5/10 Nice to revisit this classic McCartney original track.
    17. "My One and Only Love" Wood, Mellin 3:50 10/10 Almost forgot to do this one live, glad to have it and this studio version!
    18. "My Valentine" (Johnny Mandel Original Arrangement) McCartney 3:12 10/10 interesting version.
    19. "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter" (Live) Ahlert, Young 2:44 8/10 Not my favorite, but still quite nice, especially live!
    20. "Home (When Shadows Fall)" (Live) Van Steeden, J. Clarkson, H. Clarkson 4:26 10/10 Outstanding!
    21. "It's Only a Paper Moon" (Live) Arlen, Harburg, Rose 2:55 10/10 Love it.
    22. "More I Cannot Wish You" (Live) Loesser 3:28 20/10 I cry right along with Paul on this one! One of the very best!
    23. "The Glory of Love" (Live) Hill 3:53 10/10 Just wow!
    24. "We Three (My Echo, My Shadow and Me)" (Live) Mysels, Robertson, Cogane 4:14 8/10 Not the best song or introduction by Paul here, but still nice.
    25. "Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive" (Live) Arlen, Mercer 2:51 11/10 Sums up our Paul pretty well!
    26. "My Valentine" (Live) McCartney 3:31 11/10 Lovely tack live or not, but I like the studio version better.
    27. "Always" (Live) Berlin 4:21 10/10 Beautiful live.
    28. "My Very Good Friend the Milkman" (Live) Spina, Burke 3:14 25/10 just a fun fun track! Paul's live original screw up made it even more intimate!
    29. "Bye Bye Blackbird" (Live) Henderson, Dixon 4:45 10/10 fun that Paul and Ringo both recorded this song and I like Ringo's version better!
    30. "Get Yourself Another Fool" (Live) Henry, Tucker 7:48 10/10 Yet another great performance!
    31. "My One and Only Love" (Live) 10/10 Paul almost didn't sing this one live, but I'm glad he did!

19. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Ocean's Kingdom

A fantastic orchestral score for dance. The melody is beautiful, powerful, emotional, intense and touching. It's a magical trip to the mind and heart of the listener, to feel the story in four movements with a vibrant instrumental mix, from the conflict to the triumph of love. A symbol of the harmony between water and earth, a balance for a better life. Bravo!!!

[​IMG]

Credits:

Classical - Paul McCartney / Hear Music / Concord / Decca
    Album Release Date: October 3, 2011

[​IMG]

Tracklist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Liner notes:

[​IMG]

From Ocean's Kingdom

ALBUM NOTES

Marking his first work in the world of dance, Paul announced the general release of Ocean's Kingdom, commissioned by the New York City Ballet and performed by The London Classical Orchestra, Keen to tell a story through his music, Paul decided to focus on the purity of the ocean, creating a world featuring distinctive characters and a vibrant underworld kingdom. His collaborator Peter Martins created the choreography with the NYCB dancers. Ocean's Kingdom duly topped the classical charts and reached the Number 1 spot in the US and Number 2 in the UK.

Live Version:

20. Bemagnus

NEXY ONE
    Hey Diddle
    A nice little nonsense song I guess Paul wrote for his kids. The mix here is different from other versions and I like it. I usually enjoy those acoustic little things with great melodies that Paul just seem to randomly pick up out of thin air

Hey Diddle – The instrumental basic track was recorded on October 26, 1970 in the Columbia Studios, New York, during the Ram sessions. Later, the track received further overdubs when Wings were in Nashville in the summer of 1974 with the help of musicians such as Chet Atkins and Floyd Cramer.

21. Dr. Pepper

My favorite of all of Paul's orchestral works.

Who Cares and omikron like this.
  22. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Ocean's Kingdom - I've only listened to this once and can't remember much about it, so it must be okay. Too much music and not enough time to listen to it ... sigh.

Hey Diddle - I love this, it's simply charming. It's just the sort of song you could imagine him working out on his acoustic guitar while hanging around the farm with Linda and the kids. He seemed to be able to knock these lovely little tunes off with ease in the early 70s.

The bass, drum, guitar and recorders(?) all sound great. The melody is simple but very tuneful. Paul and Linda's vocals are spot on. It would fitted nicely on Ram and could have been used to strengthen Wild Life. (Belated note to Paul: why didn't you edit Some People Never Know, Wild Life and Dear Friend and add on this and a Love For You. Voila, an instant upgrade to Wild Life!)

Ratings-wise, Hey Diddle is a high 3.5/5.

Who Cares, The MEZ and omikron like this.
  23. Bemagnus

In all fairness that doesn’t t say a lot. I enjoy parts of Ocean s Kingdom just as I do with most of his classical stuff. Compared to “real”orchestral and classical music it still is pretty average or even mediocre. There are separate part were Paul s knack for melodies shines through but he is still a dilletamte within this field. Guess most of it never had been played without the McCartney name. With that said I’m happy with Paul’s willingness to try different musical styles. Also I think some of the things Paul have learnt working classical benefits his pop/rock ventures
    I rarely spend time listening to Paul’s classical work. When I listen to that kind of music there are so many other works that simple put-are much better

Who Cares and gja586 like this.
  24. MPLRecords

I wholeheartedly disagree. Melodicism is extremely important when it comes to classical work and Paul does it great. Far from "mediocre". Beethoven he ain't, good he is.

foxylady likes this.
  25. MPLRecords

(Lest anyone think that's an endorsement of Beethoven, I still maintain that Mozart wipes the floor with everybody else when it comes to classical.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.