Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Twas a joke.

omikron and Bemagnus like this.
  2. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

Get Started... turns out I had completely forgotten how this song went lol. Not a great sign. On second re-listen though, I quite enjoyed it. Don't think I'd replace anything on the album with it though.

Even though I like Freedom, I agree Rinse the Raindrops is the real final song. One of the best closers too. So it's a tie for me now between that one, 1985 and Egypt Station's medley.

Yeah, side two of Wild Life is just classic stuff.
    Side 1... I like the weirdness of Mumbo, but I don't exactly think of it as a great song. Bip Bop is fine as a little ditty, but goes on way too long imo (though I have zero comlpaints about the length of the rest of the songs). Love is Strange is a great cover and Paul's vocals are fantastic. Wilde Life however, is when the album really kicks off for me. That song and all of side 2 are brilliant imo.

3. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Get Started

I'm not very familiar with this and so it's harder to judge than the "main" ES tracks, but I reckon I'd soon grow to like it with a few more listens. I certainly prefer it to at least one of those tracks!

"Breezy" is a good word to describe it - catchy and tuneful too - and the ending adds a some more interest. The only thing I'm not keen on is the drumming in the main part of the song, which sounds a little mechanical and is maybe too high in the mix. Otherwise it's all good.

If we had to a time machine, I think the Wild Life version of Wings could have recorded a nice, more organic-sounding version of this - though it might need a bit of editing: a high 3/5. :)

4. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Sure. This is a forum.

Get Started 3.5/5
    A nice bonus track. I like the driving bass and the retro Wings/Beatles feel.

5. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Get Started: 4/5

This is the stuff that McCartney b-side and bonus material dreams are made of. Some might theorize that this song was supposed to open Egypt Station and it is interesting to think so. However, for as good as this track is, it is still fairly pedestrian compared to some of the other songs on Egypt Station. Maybe pedestrian isn’t the right word. More like it’s from a different time. This would completely fit right in on Memory Almost Full. If not up front given the title, I’m not sure it would do well in the middle of the album (replacing a certain Ryan Tedder track for instance) but it somehow could have definitely bolstered the proper album more.

6. BZync

BZync Senior Member

When I first listened to this medley I was unimpressed. It grew on me a bit over time. Eventually I liked Naked, but the other two parts.....

Then I really took to C-link but not Hunt You Down. Now I like them all but I find that I like them more in the order they appear, meaning Hunt You Down is my least favorite and C-Link my fave. So, the order they appear on the album works for me. Leaves me wanting more.

7. BZync

BZync Senior Member

All of this Wild Life talk is interesting. Makes me wish there was a thread where we had discussed the album song by song. Oh, wait. Nevermind.

8. Paulwalrus

Just wait until we finish here. We're going to start all over again ;)

9. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Don't you threaten me!

10. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I'm going to have a difficult time describing how I feel about Egypt Station as an album. If you look at my remarks on individual songs you would walk away thinking I felt it was one of Paul's best albums - and maybe it is. But I want to view this album within the context of Paul's entire career. Honestly, it almost feels like it may be his last pop album, even more than Memory Almost Full did. That was the impression I got. I hope I'm wrong.

Paul's first few years of solo recordings were a blast to discuss as they were so inconsistent. He was so all over the map stylistically but also in terms of quality. From Band On The Run through the end of the Wings years Paul was pretty consistent - all of his stuff was (at least) pretty good. Then we had that long period from McCartney II through Off The Ground which was another inconsistent time - some very good, some not very good at all. But, IMO, since Flaming Pie, Paul has been remarkably consistent in terms of quality. More consistent, perhaps, than any phase of his solo career. Every album and single Paul has released since 1997 was (at least) pretty good.

But there is something about Egypt Station that keeps me from being as enthusiastic as I am about Memory Almost Full or Chaos And Creation. I don't know what that is.

When it first came out I had trouble getting into it. Few of the songs made much of an impression on me. My daughter commented that all of the songs were "samey" to her. And I felt that she was correct. Yet, as I kept listening, songs started to stand out. Egypt Station was a "grower", no doubt. And maybe that's it - it's not a flashy album. It's a mature statement by a career songsmith.

Ultimately, I think Egypt Station is certainly among Paul's ten best albums. Is it among his five best? Arguably. But there's something about it that feels like a three hour film from the 70's - it has it's pace and you either go with it or you don't.

I told you up front that I would have trouble describing my take on this album. I'm hoping some of you get where I'm coming from.

11. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I'm not going to argue with your take on the album. It's way different than mine but hey, that's life. As for the idea that this could be Paul's last pop album -- well, it could be. He's 78. How much longer we'll have him with us is anyone's guess. But I don't think he intended it as a farewell statement. What gives the impression that it might be meant that way, I think, is lyrics that are very conscious of the passage of time and how it changes us. He's touched on those topics before -- including on MAF, for sure -- but it's a recurring theme here. I don't think Paul is saying goodbye but it's pretty clear that he knows he has way more yesterdays than tomorrows and it's seeping into his art. In a rather beautiful way, I'd say.

12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

NEXT ONE
    Nothing For Free
    This song is an absolute treat. It has an experimental-sort of anything goes vibe but still a pop-sensibility. The chorus is insanely catchy and Pauls dead-pan delivery a hoot. What a great track and for those who didn t like Tedders involvement on Fuh You all must be formgiven here. I like them both .

“Nothing For Free” is one of the two bonus tracks released on the deluxe edition of “Egypt Station”, in 2018 (the other bonus track is “Get Started“). As “Fuh You” and “Get Enough“, this song has been co-written and produced by Ryan Tedder.

A remix by DJ Chris Holmes was released on Spotify, Vevo and as download on July 9

13. Bemagnus

Here is the remix of the glorious Nothing For Free

14. Bemagnus

Dannys acoustic cover of Nothing For Free

15. Paulwalrus

Nothing For Free, now THIS is a great track. Should have been on the album proper.

16. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

NOTHING FOR FREE - I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SONG! Yeah this one is so good it could have been the first single from the album! It's yet another one that should have been on the album, way better than songs like...
    Confidante
    Fuh You
    Ceasar Rock
    Do It Now
    People Want Peace
    Hand In Hand
    Every time I listen to it I can't help nodding my head, it has that beat. I really think it would have been a hit!
    For me my top 5 are...
    WINGS OVER AMERICA
    MEMORY ALMOST FULL
    EGYPT STATION
    FLAMING PIE
    BAND ON THE RUN
    Of course there's absolutely fantastic music on the vast majority of McCartney's albums as we've discussed, but these five are the most consistent to me!

17. Dr. Pepper

I'm out! Been on this merry-go-round long enough at that point.:)

18. Dr. Pepper

Nothing For Free 9/10

Best Tedder track by far. Nice one to follow the last track on the official album. Sounds like something a busker might sing to remind folks to cough up some money for his act in that you don't get nothing for free.

19. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Nothing For Free 3.5/5

The second great bonus track and we have an amazing single coming up :)
    This song could have easily been on the regular album and is full of ideas that really enhances it a lot.

20. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Nothing for Free - Starts off a bit 'trendy' but catchy, fun and if given to someone else could have been a hit. Prefer it to the majority of tracks on side 1. 3.5/5

21. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Nothing for Free

This sounds like someone else's track into which they flew in Paul's vocals. It certainly has catchy hooks and had it been recorded with a more organic Wild Life era / Red Rose Speedway Wings approach would probably be a 3/5. As it is, however, the production, arrangement, processing and vocal styling result in a sound that doesn't appeal much to me. I actually prefer Fuh You to this one.

So, sadly, Nothing for Free does next to nothing for me: 1/5. :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  22. omikron

Nothing For Free: 4/5

It would have been nice to have this replace "Back In Brazil". It would have been a good counter-balance to "Fuh You". This track seriously pumps me up. The "You know you need..." sections get me amped every time. The electro-country-western bridge still makes me smile. This is the best Tedder track hands down. Paul is the only person who can throw $h!t against the wall and actually get it to stick.

23. Bemagnus

Agree about everything exept switching it with Back in Brazil. I seriously love the Brazil track-Itchy b-s and all
    :)

24. omikron

Phantom track lists always have pros and cons with them, don't they?

In hindsight, I'd want to keep Back In Brazil and use Nothing For Free to replace Fuh You. I'm not a huge Brazil fan but it does provide a much needed vibe on the album and it would change greatly removing it. Replacing Fuh You with Nothing For Free doesn't really change the vibe much but does improve things overall.

25. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Get Started

A good song with a great arrangement and a powerful ending, in which Paul is rocking and having fun.

Lyrics:

So let's get started
    I’m ready to be heard
    Before the dear departed
    Can have the final word

In a perfect situation
    I'd have told you long ago
    But now I think it's time
    You ought to know

So let me tell you
    Right here and now
    I’m gonna love you
    And I will tell you how

I'll give you my heart
    I'll give you my word
    And we'll get started now

You're not expected
    To stand on hallowed ground
    But know you'll be protected
    As long as I'm around

To ensure there's no confusion
    I would like to make it clear
    If you need my help
    I promise I’ll be here

So let me tell you
    Right here and now
    I’m gonna love you
    And I will tell you how

I'll give you my heart
    I’ll give you my word
    And we'll get started now

Get started, let's get started, now
    Get started, started, yeah
    Get started now, yeah, yeah
    Get started yeah
    Oh, let's get started, yeah
    Get start, don’t, don't, don't, don't, don't, don't, don't start it now
    Yeah, get started

Credits:

Album: Egypt Station (Deluxe edition)
    Label: Capitol Records
    Release Date: September 7, 2018
    Length: 3:41 minutes

Written and composed by Paul McCartney
    Produced by Greg Kurstin
    Co-produced by Paul McCartney
    Recorded at Henson Studios, LA, with additional sessions at Hog Hill Mill, Sussex (?)
    Engineered by Steve Orchard, Alex Pasco, and Julian Burg, assisted by Matt Tuggle, Collin Kadlec, Jamie Kirkham, Keith Smith, Paul Pritchard
    Mixed by Mark ‘Spike’ Stent, assisted by Michael Freeman and Derek Stockwell at Henson Studios, LA
    Mastered by Randy Merrill
    Published by MPL Communications Inc
    (P) 2018 MPL Communications Inc

Paul McCartney – Vocals, Drums, Bass Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, 12-string Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Piano
    Greg Kurstin – Vibraphone, Piano, Triangle, Vocal Arranger
    Paul ‘Wix’ Wickens – Synthesizer, Hammond Organ, Piano
    Abe Laboriel Jr – Drums, Backing Vocals
    Brian Ray – Electric Guitar
    Rusty Anderson – Electric Guitar, Backing Vocals
    Everton Nelson – Violin
    John Metcalfe – Viola
    Bruce White – Viola
    Ian Burdge – Cello
    Skaila Kanga – Harp
    Robert Millett – Cimbalom

Thread Status: