Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

I know-it s only rock n roll but I like it
    :)

2. sthornt1

sthornt1 Forum Resident

He was too busy writing "I'm gonna love her 'til the cows come home".

3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Completely forgot about that line. Possibly the worst one he ever wrote. Maybe McCartney told him it was great and they just left it as is.

4. Bemagnus

No the worst lines from Lennon are the ones quoted below. Imo the worst lyrics from any bestle. Downright ugly
    Well, I'd rather see you dead, little girl
    Than to be with another man
    You better keep your head, little girl
    Or I won't know where I am
    You better run for your life if you can, little girl
    Hide your head in the sand, little girl
    Catch you with another man
    That's the end, little girl

5. BZync

BZync Senior Member

The worst Lennon line (from the Beatle years) is: I'm gonna lover her till the cows come home.

McCartney's worst: I know that she's no peasant.

I never took to She's A Woman. It strikes me as very static and wooden. This is filler. I understand why Capitol slathered it in reverb - anything to breathe some energy into this one.

6. sthornt1

sthornt1 Forum Resident

My post was meant to be tongue in cheek but there was a point behind it. I don't think the Beatles were all that concerned about lyric content at this point. They were just trying to write songs that had a good groove. And if they stumbled upon words that sounded cool then all the better.

She's A Woman strikes me as a second tier effort. A 'B' side is the perfect place for it. The most interesting aspect of the song is McCartney's vocal, which adds a lot of energy. To me, that's the real hook of the song.

7. Wildest cat from montana

Oh ! I like ' She 's A Woman ' just fine.
    I don't let Macca 's sometime lyrical shortcomings interfere with my enjoyment of his work.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  8. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

When Paul's lyrics misfire, they sometimes do so spectacularly. Still love the song, though.

BZync likes this.
  9. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I suppose it depends on how you define worst. In a technical sense, these are perfectly good lyrics. They're vivid and flow well, conveying exactly what the writer meant to convey. But yes, what he meant to convey is obnoxious and it's one of very few Beatles songs I truly don't like.

10. Bemagnus

I mean the content of those lyrics which are awful and just as you makes it the rare Beatles track I genuinely dislike

11. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Next Up - "I'll Follow the Sun"

I'LL FOLLOW THE SUN(Lennon/McCartney)

JOHN 1972: "A nice one."

JOHN 1980: "That's Paul again. Can't you tell? I mean-- 'Tomorrow may rain so/ I'll follow the sun.' That's another early McCartney, you know... written almost before the Beatles, I think. He had a lot of stuff."

PAUL 1988: "I wrote that in my front parlour in Forthlin Road. I was about 16. There was a few from then-- 'Thinking Of Linking,' ever heard of that one? So 'I'll Follow The Sun' was one of those very early ones. I seem to remember writing it just after I'd had the flu... I remember standing in the parlour looking out through lace curtains of the window and writing that one. We had this hard R&B image in Liverpool, so I think songs like 'I'll Follow The Sun,' ballads like that, got pushed back to later."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    BZync likes this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

There's a much earlier version of ' I'll Follow The Sun ' kicking around ( I 'm sure someone can post it --where is that traitorous Who Cares ? ) which doesn't have the right sweetness to it but the meat-and-potatoes are there..
    Great early Macca.

Did we skip 'Long Tall Sally ' ? I know he didn't write it but...

BZync likes this.
  13. Bemagnus

I have liked this song since release
    Still do
    It was exiting heating Paul do the song live

14. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I'll Follow the Sun is gentle, sweet, charming and absolutely pure Paul. Not any sort of masterpiece, but it really does capture a big piece of his charm.

BZync and Dr. Pepper like this.
  15. Bemagnus

Here is a brand new killer version of Maybe Om Amazed

Bruce M. likes this.
  16. sthornt1

sthornt1 Forum Resident

I'll Follow The Sun is another early effort that, while a minor entry in the Beatle catalog, is an appealing and catchy little tune. Even at this early stage, McCartney demonstrated that he had a knack for turning out memorable acoustic ballads.

17. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

When the Wind Is Blowing and Sunshine Sometime are two of my favorite early McCartney solo tracks. Is there a full list anywhere of tracks that were intended for the Rupert project and are there any others similar to those two tracks?

tug_of_war, omikron and WilliamWes like this.
  18. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

First of all I haven't been on here in 2 months and I feel so guilty cause I had like 10 songs left for 'Egypt Station' that I didn't do. Second I want to say hi to everyone and I had a lot of fun on this thread - cause I left it doesn't mean I didn't think it was awesome. Third, I think Paul's Rupert project is underrated. These two teasers of the whole work are two of the better tracks but that doesn't mean there aren't a whole lot of surprises. I left a link with the info.

There's a dozen tracks with Rupert repeated - two versions of "Rupert Song". Because there are instrumental tracks it plays like McCartney but replacing the rock grit for smooth and serene scenes. Those 2 you mention are similar to the other songs and instrumentals. There are more lyrics to 'Sunshine Sometime' and I think 'When The Wind Is Blowing' too. "Rupert Song" also recorded in 1970 are the only 3 from that era that have popped up. "The Castle Of The King Of The Birds" is the Beatles 'Get Back' outtake "The Palace Of The King Of The Birds" but less spooky and shorter. The others weren't heard of until the late 70s. It's about 30-40 minutes total and it goes along with a lot of Paul's 1976 experimenting with synths. Some have Paul narrating a story over them.

If they ever appear, it will be one of the most prized bonus tracks disc but it would be in a 'Back To The Egg' box though it sounds closer to 'London Town'. I think everything is on YouTube for now. I can't remember but I love those tracks and if McCartney didn't have so much stuff already they would have already been rediscovered and loved.

"Rupert The Bear" soundtrack session (Jul 05, 1978)

19. Dr. Pepper

Going through the Beatles catalog with a focus on Paul's songs has made me realize that Paul found his sweet spot pretty early and stayed in the wonderful pocket with songs like All My Loving, Things We Said Today, And I Love Her, and I'll Follow The Sun, as well as future songs like Yesterday, Drive My Car, and Good Day Sunshine sounding like they could have all come from the same recording session. Where as John stayed in the Mop Top phase a little longer and created far more in his own words "workman-like" songs made to please and fit the Beatles mold on demand, an impressive feat for sure. John's growth seemed more gradual, but constant, whereas Paul reached a higher level of songwriting more quickly then plateaued for awhile before lurching forward again.

20. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I'll Follow The Sun has the benefit of not sounding like any other Beatles recording to this point. It starts with a warm guitar picking. The closest we get to that style is Words Of Love. It's a good, but not great, song. But it did expend the Beatles sound.

21. akrasia

akrasia Forum Resident

Sun is a nice little ditty. Harmony on the bridge makes it. There's a very old home recording out there and it could have been considered for previous albums, but it fits well on BFS and could've probably charted if it was passed off to a different Epstein group to record.

22. Bemagnus

23. Dr. Pepper

Next Up - Eight Days A Week

EIGHT DAYS A WEEK(Lennon/McCartney)

JOHN 1972: "Both of us wrote it. I think we wrote this when we were trying to write the title song for 'Help!' because there was at one time the thought of calling the film, 'Eight Arms To Hold You.'"

JOHN 1980: "Eight Days A Week' was never a good song. We struggled to record it and struggled to make it into a song. It was his (Paul's) initial effort, but I think we both worked on it. I'm not sure. But it was lousy anyway."

PAUL 1984: "Yeah, he (Ringo) said it as though he were an overworked chauffeur: (in heavy accent) 'Eight days a week.' (Laughter) When we heard it, we said, 'Really? Bing! Got it!'" (Laughs)

"I remember writing that with John, at his place in Weybridge, from something said by the chauffeur who drove me out there. John had moved out of London. to the suburbs. I usually drove myself there, but the chauffeur drove me out that day and I said, ‘How’ve you been?’ – ‘Oh, working hard,’ he said, ‘working eight days a week.’ I had never heard anyone use that expression, so when I arrived at John’s house I said, ‘Hey, this fella just said, “eight days a week”.’ John said, ‘Right – “Ooh I need your love, babe…” and we wrote it. We were always quick to write. We would write on the spot. I would show up, looking for some sort of inspiration; I’d either get it there, with John, or I’d hear someone say something.

John and I were always looking for titles. Once you’ve got a good title, if someone says, ‘What’s your new song?’ and you have a title that interests people, you are halfway there. Of course, the song has to be good. If you’ve called it ‘I Am On My Way To A Party With You, Babe’, they might say, ‘OK…’ But if you’ve called it ‘Eight Days A Week’, they say, ‘Oh yes, that’s good!’

Paul McCartney
    Anthology

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    BZync likes this.
  24. Wildest cat from montana

'Eight Days A Week ' is perfect pop.
    Wasn't released as a single in the U.K. but was a Number 1 smash in the U.S.
    Dig the outtake on ' Anthology ' as well.
    A great example of Lennon and McCartney writing ( and singing ) together.

tteal likes this.
  25. Wordnat2

Wordnat2 Square as hay, dull as cattle.

Wait — people are still doing the “Dylan Can’t Sing” routine? My grandfather (literally, my freaking grandfather) said that to me when I was 11 in 1979. It amazes me that passionate, knowledgeable music fans (i.e., 99% of us here on this forum) can say such a ludicrous thing after all these years. It’s like saying Muddy Waters couldn’t sing. Or, for that matter, Johnny Rotten. It’s the song. It’s the delivery. It’s the attitude. It’s the passion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.