Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

2. Dr. Pepper

3. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

"The Night Before" is a good pop song but not memorable. I think by the time of "For Sale" and "Help" both McCartney and Lennon had become very good at their trade and could come up with as many reasonably good pop songs to fill the next record as necessary. But it seems to me they were no longer putting their hearts into this type of songs and were ready to move on to the next level -- which they did.

4. Dr. Pepper

Well said.

5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

THE NIGHT BEFORE - I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SONG! The pop master does it again, the Beatles at their very best, a great song and very enjoyable performed live! Love the harmonies and Ringo's drumming!

6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'The Night Before ' Is McCartney effortlessly flexing his pop muscle. Catchy , melodic , ear-wormy.
    Like the bit in ' Help' where he 's strumming the girl while this plays.
    " When I think of things we did / It makes me wanna cry !"

BZync likes this.
  7. Dr. Pepper

Were you tellin' li-i-i-es the night before?

8. Dr. Pepper

I've always thought that this song was about how things changed after the couple in the song slept together. If so, then what a huge jump to make from "I Want to Hold Your Hand" to this, in just over a years time.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    theMess likes this.
  9. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

When you see him go down a path that produced mixed results the first time and a disaster the second -- yeah, dread that he'll release an album unworth of his talent is entirely reasonable. I would love to be wrong.

10. Dr. Pepper

We would all love you to be wrong.

11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

I do love these two albums but ecspecially the second one is a dividing effort.
    However those albums were made 50 and 40 years ago. There is no reason to believe that the new one will have much stylistic similarity with the previous albums. They are actually different between each other
    But if we get songs with the quality of Maube I’m Amazed, Every Night, Coming Up or Waterfalls I won y complain
    Or To Much Rain, Confidante or Dominoes for that matter/some more recent stuff were he does everything himself
    Bring it on

12. Bemagnus

The Night Before
    Certanely not one of the better Beatles songs but anyway-I love the energy and Paul’s vocals

13. Dr. Pepper

Nailed it. Paul really saves a mediocre song and elevates it to be pretty darn good with his energy and fun vocals!

14. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

He nailed his opinion, but there's absolutely nothing mediocre about The Night Before! I listened to it again and has there ever been a band that had better harmonies? I think that was one of the Beatles secret weapons!

15. Wildest cat from montana

A lot more than sleeping going on.
    " Last night is the night I will remember you by "

Bruce M. likes this.
  16. Wildest cat from montana

You will be proved wrong. McCartney is firing on all cylinders lately. Rejuvenated.
    Are you saying ' McCartney ' was an album of " mixed results " ? That 's my fave Macca album! And 'McCartney II ' was not a " disaster ".

17. Bemagnus

McCartney II was an album I utterly disliked and dismissed for many years. Re-discovered it in the late nineties and Now it s one of my favirites . Ecspecially the deluxe-edition. An amazingly rich album
    And yes McCartney are not only one of my favorite Paul albums -it is one of my favorite albums-period.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  18. Wildest cat from montana

Who the eff is I Ytterby?

19. Dr. Pepper

Next Up - "Another Girl"

ANOTHER GIRL(Lennon/McCartney)

JOHN 1980: "'Another Girl' is Paul."

PAUL circa-1994: "It's a bit much to call them fillers because I think they were a bit more than that, and each one of them made it past the Beatles test. We all had to like it."

20. Dr. Pepper

I didn't realize Paul sounded this good in 2015!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    theMess likes this.
  21. Dr. Pepper

22. Dr. Pepper

A short-lived dance craze back in 1965!:help:

23. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

"Disaster" is too kind of a word for "McCartney II." "McCartney" was 1/4 of a great album, 1/4 of a pretty good album, and half an album full of random, unfinished doodles. Paul needs an editor.

24. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

"Another Girl" is okay, but definitely not the Fabs firing on all cylinders.

25. Bemagnus

Im not sure sir Paul would agree McCartneyII being a disaster. The slbum had one very big hit and a few songs that through the years have got classic status and lifes on their own. The session also included Pauls christmas songs that might be his most profitable song ever
    It s one thing not to enjoy an album -that doesn t necessarily mean it s a disaster. For free-flowing experimental fun I rank the album very high but sure can see why some feel the opposite
    Disaster it ain t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.