Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Barn - I hate this song. 1/5
    My Love - 5/5

Has this become a "pun by pun" thread?

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I'm with you on this, but why do we not like it? I mean I like Mary Had A Little Lamb, Thank You Darling, etc. They seem to be in the same vein, but...

3. Daniel Plainview

I hate the lead vocal. I hate the chorus. I hate the nonsensical break section. I hate the lyrics. I hate the music. I hate it from top to bottom. I skip it every single time I play the album, whether single or double. It's the sort of frivolous throw-away solo-era garbage that fans are far too forgiving of. They served up crap like this all the time but get a free pass because of their Beatle credentials. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood.

4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Cmoon a weak point?
    I don t think so
    Love that song

The MEZ likes this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

I just can't figure out where to put it to help the flow of the album/playlist, it always sounds like, "let's take a break from the album to present you with this stand alone b-side...now that that is over back to the album in progress."

6. Dr. Pepper

Really? Never would have guessed.:yikes: I did ask, so you gave me what I asked for, and then some.:yikes:

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

"C Moon" sucks too. It's like a joke song from "Ishtar". 1/5

8. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I can only speak for myself, but any of them being former Beatles means squat to me. I knew Red Rose Speedway before I knew the majority of The Beatles' catalogue, and I always liked "Big Barn Bed" on its own merit.

joy stinson, The MEZ, JDeanB and 2 others like this.
  9. Daniel Plainview

Fair enough. :tiphat:

MPLRecords likes this.
  10. Dr. Pepper

I've added a hidden track at the end never before on any McCartney release, just for the folks in this thread..

Hermes likes this.
  11. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

One of Dave Letterman's favorite records to mock. And rightfully so!

Fun fact, there was actually a promo video for it:

12. Dr. Pepper

I know it's epic in so many ways!

13. Bemagnus

Just let it out
    :)

14. Bemagnus

Keep them coming
    :):):)

15. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Sorry it took me so long to post about My Love, but I had to shower first. Molten marshmallow? I think I need to talk to the Mrs about how we spend Christmas Eve.

Red Rose Speedway has always been one of my favorite McCartney albums. But I must be honest and say that most of the tracks are good but not great. If the great song (Little Lamb Dragonfly) cancels out the poor song (Loup) then what you have left is a good solid album with no great highs and no deep lows. And that's good enough for me.

I have shied away from doing a number rating for songs as McCartney skews the scale. If a song like Maybe I'm Amazed is a 5, then My Love would have to be a 3, and is that fair in any universe? Nope. By any standard other than the one McCartney himself has set, My Love is a very good song. But there's a sentimentality to it that hasn't aged as well for me as other of his songs. Little Lamb Dragonfly, for example, is a sentimental song that still gives me chills when I hear it, now 46 years on. Don't know why that is. Clearly I have changed while The Song Remains The Same.

But it's a good melody and is performed well. I still enjoy it when it comes up on shuffle. And, yes, it's a really good solo. It provides what the song demands - nothing more - which is an impressive display of discipline and good taste. In that sense it is very Clapton.

WilliamWes, Yorick, Hermes and 3 others like this.
  16. Bemagnus

Claptons acoustic guitar-solo on My Valentine is pretty good. There is another McCartney song he plays guitar on another McCartney track to-one I prefer not to mention
    :)

Choba b CCCP and Yorick like this.
  17. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator

Who Cares, BZync, Yorick and 3 others like this.
  18. Bemagnus

omikron likes this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

It's Friday!
    [​IMG]

omikron and Bemagnus like this.
  20. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

"My Love" is a very well constructed song. Like an American songbook standard, with some nice jazzy chords and progressions.

Not a personal favorite but a song that shows McCartney's brilliance as a songwriter. And very catchy.

The MEZ, Who Cares, angelees and 4 others like this.
  21. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I'm in the minority here, but I've always thought My Love is one of Paul's weaker love songs. It's okay, has a nice melody, and there's nothing really wrong with it (although I do find myself thinking, "Wo, wo, wo, wo -- really???"). But compared to a lot of Paul's other love songs, it's always felt kind of generic to me. I'd rank it well behind Here There and Everywhere, Every Night, Bluebird, Hand in Hand, This Never Happened Before, and many others.

Wordnat2, WilliamWes, BZync and 2 others like this.
  22. Bemagnus

You are absolutely correct about the American songbook comparison. Here is the proof
    Have a glass of whiskey, relax and enjoy

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Dear Lord, that is atrocious lol

MPLRecords likes this.
  24. Bemagnus

Another one

JDeanB likes this.
  25. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

My Love divides a lot of folks, then and now. It was very ubiquitous when it was a hit.

Clever how it opens musically, I guess on the IV...you are left wondering where he’s going to go with it (at first).

BZync and mark winstanley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.