Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

My Love is a great song and captures a lot of what Mccartney was very good at.

The MEZ, JDeanB, BZync and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

I said it before and I say it again. My Love is an exeptional and very sophisticated song with a musical structure very few within the rock-music would master. As a result it also is a very much covered composition
    Here is some facts from Wikipedia

Wikipedia
    Cover versions
    By the late 1970s, "My Love" was the second most-covered song written and released by a former Beatle since the band's break-up, after Harrison's "My Sweet Lord".[36] Tony Bennett, Nancy Wilson and Cass Elliott are among the many singers who recorded the song.[7] Others include Johnny Gill, Cher, Brenda Lee, Margie Joseph, Salena Jones, Mina, Shinehead, Andy Williams, Warren Hill and Dottie West. There have also been three jazz instrumental versions, by Ivan "Boogaloo Joe" Jones, Pieces of a Dream (from their 1996 album The Best of Pieces of a Dream),[82] and Michael Lington(from the 2004 album Stay with Me).[83][84]

An instrumental of the song can be heard during Monica and Chandler's wedding in the American sitcom Friends.[85] Corinne Bailey Rae released a cover of the song on The Love EP (2011).[86] Harry Connick Jr covered "My Love" on the 2014 album The Art of McCartney, a tribute album to McCartney.[87]

The MEZ and JDeanB like this.
  3. Bemagnus

omikron likes this.
  4. Bemagnus

This one is rather good to listen to and perhaps watch as well.
    :)

Who Cares and Dr. Pepper like this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I'd rate every song you've listed as 10/10 as well as My Love, though I would agree it is a very soft 10/10 compared to the others maybe more acurate to say 9.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999/10

6. Bemagnus

I generally don trate songs that way but if I did
    My Love would get 11/10
    One of the best songs Paul ever composed-that s why it still is covered by artists from very different genres.

The MEZ, angelees and Dr. Pepper like this.
  7. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

8.5/10

8. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

I totally agree with you. RRS as a double as it was originally intended would have been McCartney's "Some Time in New York City". Thanks to we don't know who (Paul or E.M.I?) the plan was changed. Yes, the released one is a very mellow album but, boy, contains some really great tracks. IMHO My Love, Get on the Right Thing and Little Lamb Dragonfly... side 2 is a bit "shy" but I like its understated tone :) And I'm quite sure the final medley is a mock of prog-rock suites.

9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Don' t sugar coat it , Oil Man. Tell us how you really feel about it.

10. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

In any case, it's glorious to hear the young Tony Bennett again. What a voice.

joy stinson, Yorick and Bemagnus like this.
  11. Bemagnus

Next one
    Get on the right thing
    A left-over from Ram one can t really call this a Wings track. Never mind that it s a great track. Very catchy and rockin with an almost RnB/motown-feel. Some nice melodic touches,explosive lead-vocals and fun harmony-vocals. A multi-layered arrangement lifts the song even more A quality track that I always have enjoyed a lot. In fact I think it s a great one

12. Bemagnus

There is a great early mix version of Get on the right thing on the RRS deluxe-set. A version that is just as good or even better than the great released version

GET ON THE RIGHT THING (lyrics)
    All at once you get love on your mind
    And your world is as kind as a penny
    Oh... and you knew it all along, you did the right thing
    Believe me its true, and it can happen to you
    All at once you get sound in your ears
    And your cloud disappears into yellow
    Well you know they were were wrong
    Get on the right thing
    Well you knew it all along
    Get on the right thing
    Believe me its so, because i happen to know
    Try a little love, you can't go wrong
    Get On the right thing,
    Get on the right thing,
    Get on the right thing
    My little love you cant go wrong
    Get on the right thing,
    Get on the right thing,
    Get on the right thing
    Do, get on the right thing you
    All at once we see things in our skies
    And we both realize it together
    Well you know they were wrong
    Get on…

omikron and coco77 like this.
  13. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Get On The Right Thing 3.5/5 ~ great, fun album track. Little Richard meets the psychedelic fab four ...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    The MEZ, Who Cares, BZync and 3 others like this.
  14. Bemagnus

A good decription of the song.
    :)

coco77 and Piiijiii like this.
  15. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

3/5 A good, fluffy bit of pop/rock.

coco77, Piiijiii and Bemagnus like this.
  16. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

Wow, I've got well behind on reviewing post Fab Macca.

1972 SINGLES

Give Ireland Back to the Irish - Hmm, the lyrics are very direct, and at times vary from bludgeoning to slightly patronizing. Yet it kind of works as a Thin Lizzy type Irish rocker pub singalong, with some splendid guitar work. Plus it is not as cringeworthy as Luck Of The Irish, even if it is nowhere near as good as Sunday Bloody Sunday. 3.0/5

Mary Had a Little Lamb -
    I too thought recording this nursery rhyme was in the deliberate ironic camp, after the banning of the previous single. However, it was the first message on the first phonographic recording, made by Thomas Edison in 1877, which gave it some significance, considering Paul McCartney's very own significant contributions to that medium 3.0/5:

Little Woman Love -
    A breezy rockabilly piano rocker. It has a intimate throwaway charm to it. 3.5/5

Hi, Hi, Hi -
    A great dirty boogie rocker. I really enjoy the innuendo to the lyrics. 4.5/5

C Moon -
    A corny oddball reggae track with the band not playing their usual instruments (an idea David Bowie borrowed 7 years later for his Boys Keep Swinging single). It probably never helped that I don't like the song "Wooly Bully" either (I much prefer Seaside Woman) 3.0/5

Note to self: keep an eye on thread for when the Red Rose Speedway tracks are coming towards an end ...

The MEZ, Who Cares, omikron and 2 others like this.
  17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Get On The Right Thing - I like this song a lot. The opposite of Big Barn Red. I'll give it a 4, what the hell!

joy stinson, The MEZ and Bemagnus like this.
  18. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Get on the Right Thing (8/10)

Love is a major thing on RRS-the right thing according to this sporadically excellent song. The arrangement seems like cut-and-paste with some parts not linking into others quite right. Still, the parts are great individually. The creeping bass/guitar chording buildup on the intro, the harmonies that link the various passages, some of Seiwell’s better drumming, the backwards guitar break, and McCartney’s various yelps and screams are the most exciting moments on the album. Paul’s scream at 3:17 is one of my favorites by anyone. Always my favorite moment of the album along with the “My Love” solo and another moment in “Little Lamb Dragonfly”.

Lyrically, this continues to be his worst album tied with Wild Life. He's lost that poetic flow when he stretches too far like with the opening line "you get love on your mind and your world is as kind as a penny" - I get what he means- the world isn't kind like if the world were 'a pot of gold' or something more valuable, but you see how he's trying to get something better than the generic lines we hear later like 'believe me it's true, it can happen to you'. A better poetic attempt is 'you get sound in your ears and your cloud disappears into yellow' - good alternate rhyme scheme in both couplets and 'yellow' is 'sun' of course. That's one of the better lines on the album. I think it does belong more to the 'Ram' album but it really helps this album because it's the last rock song- we'll hear for the remainder of Red Rose Speedway.

Who Cares, BZync, Bemagnus and 3 others like this.
  19. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

My love is so beautiful. Very sentimental but also powerful. It’s a very Paul like love song. It’s a really great song overall.

20. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Big Barn Bed 6/10
    My Love 10/10

Get On The Right Thing 9/10

Probably my second favorite on the album. Beautiful song with a positive message that still resonates today. So much around us seems so negative in 2019, to just remind us to Get On The Right Thing get's this song extra points in my book.

Who Cares, BZync, WilliamWes and 5 others like this.
  21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

[QUOTE="Blame The Machines, post: 22363522, member: 99879"

Note to self: keep an eye on thread for when the Red Rose Speedway tracks are coming towards an end ...

[/QUOTE]

Likewise. I'm out of the loop on this album unfortunately. Still reading though.

22. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I love Get On the Right Thing. I always thought the Osmonds or even the Brady Kids could’ve had a hit with it! I’m only halfway joking.

I would’ve gladly taken this over Monkberry or Eat at Home or Long Haired Lady on RAM. This smokes all three as a pop song and as a performance. Love all the guitar bits. Denny’s drumming is spot on too.

Fave track on RRS.

Who Cares, WilliamWes and Bemagnus like this.
  23. Bemagnus

It seems lika a few here get the right thing with Get on the right thing.
    That s a good thing
    I guess
    It s a great track that wouldn t have been out of place on Ram
    Once again -honourable mention to the rock-solid drums from mr Seiwell.
    I think Paul and Denny Seiwell had a very strong musical connection. We all know there were tension when he left Wings but according to both Denny and Paul they are friends and keep in touch today. The two of them former a brilliant rhytm-section

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  24. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

The Back Seat of My Car

A beautiful ballad. The mix between words and instruments sounds is brilliant and gives us a description of a magical trip to the road of the feelings. At the end love is the winner. Very cleaver Paul!!!

Lyrics:

[Verse 1]
    Speed along the highway
    Honey, I want it my way
    But listen to her daddy's song
    "Don't stay out too long"

[Chorus 1]
    Ooh, we're just busy hiding
    Sitting in the back seat of my car

[Bridge]
    Looking for a ride in the haul-about
    Looking for a ride in and out of town
    Stalling for a ride in the haul-about
    Looking for a ride in and out of

[Verse 2]
    The lazy lights are pretty
    We may end up in Mexico city
    But listen to her daddy's song
    "Making love is wrong"

[Chorus 1]
    Ooh, we're just busy riding
    Sitting in the back seat of my carAw, we was only hiding
    Sitting in the back seat of my car, yeah

[Verse 3]
    And when we finish driving
    We can say we were late in arriving
    And listen to her daddy's song
    We believe that we can't be wrong

[Bridge]
    Oh, we believe that we can't be wrong

[Chorus]
    We can make it to Mexico city
    Sitting in the back seat of my car

[Outro]
    No, no, no
    We believe we can't be wrong
    Yeah, yeah, yeah
    Oh oh, oh oh, yeah, oh, yeah

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney and Linda McCartney
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Backing vocals, Bass, Electric Guitar, Piano, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Backing Vocals by Linda McCartney
    Backing Vocals by Heather McCartney
    Drums by Denny Seiwell
    Electric Guitar by Hugh McCracken
    Horns by Marvin Stamm, Mel Davis, Ray Crisara, Snooky Young
    Double Bass by Ron Carter
    Violin by David Nadien
    Horns, Strings by The New York Philharmonic Orchestra
    Label: Apple Records
    Release Date: May 17, 1971
    Recorded at CBS Studios / A&R Studios / Sound Recorder Studios
    Length: 4:30 minutes

Paul's own words:

Mojo:

"Back Seat Of My Car is very romantic: 'We can make it to Mexico City.' That's a really teenage song, with the stereotypical parent who doesn't agree, and the two lovers are going to take on the world: 'We believe that we can’t be wrong.' I always like the underdog."

Source: https://www.beatlesbible.com/people/paul-mccartney/songs/the-back-seat-of-my-car/

Billboard

""Back Seat of My Car" is the ultimate teenage song, and even though it was a long time since I was a teenager and had to go to a girl's dad and explain myself, it's that kind of meet-the-parents song. It's a good old driving song. [Sings] "We can make it to Mexico City." I've never driven to Mexico City, but it's imagination. And obviously "back seat" is snogging, making love."

Source: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/80344/paul-mccartney-on-his-not-so-silly-love-songs

25. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

About The Back Seat Of My Car...

The Twickenham Film Studios version of the song during the Get Back rehearsals on January 14, 1969:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.