Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Oh, now I see where you get your user name. Everything is swell! While I still enjoy all the tracks, to me the beginning of the album is a little on the weak side.

Rating the first four songs from Macca III, I'd go:

Long Tailed Winter Bird - 8.5/10
    Find My Way - 6.5/10
    Pretty Boys - 7.5/10
    Women and Wives - 7.5/10

Who Cares and WilliamWes like this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

I don t really know but right now it s
    Long Tailed Winter bird 9,5. -The Idris Elbas killer version 9,5/10
    Find My Way 9 - The Beck ver5sion 8,5
    Pretty Boys 9,5 - The Re-imagined version 8,5
    Woman and wives-9,5/10 - The Re-imagined version 9,5/10

3. Dr. Pepper

For me
    Long Tailed Winter bird -The Idris Elba dominated version 5.5/10 (Doesn't work for me)
    Find My Way - The Beck ver5sion 9.5/10 (Better than original)
    Pretty Boys - The Re-imagined version 8/10 (Better than original)
    Woman and wives - The Re-imagined version 8/10 (Slightly better than original)

WilliamWes likes this.
  4. Dr. Pepper

Since we are mentioning it so much here is the III Imagined version of Women and Wives with the amazing St. Vincent

joy stinson, Who Cares and WilliamWes like this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

Oh and here is the sexiest Grammy performance I've seen in decades with St. Vincent and Dua Lipa!

6. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Women and Wives is the most incredible song. When people say that Paul hasn't done anything good in a while or since the 70s, I think of this song. What a thrill it is to listen to this on my favourite headphones and hear the vibrations of that bass. Elvis's bass! Well, his bass player's bass. lol I also like his voice in this. I'd like to hear him sing in this register more often. Also a good lyrical effort.

10/10 for me.

Long Tailed Winter Bird - 9/10. Idris - 8/10
    Find My Way - 4/10. Beck - 9/10
    Pretty Boys - 2/10. Imagined (can't remember the name) 9/10
    Women and Wives - 10/10 St Vincent 6/10

joy stinson, Who Cares, Bevok and 3 others like this.
  7. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Women and Wives is another example of a solid album track. I suppose that's my way of saying I "don't hear a single" on McCartney III. Most of the songs are good. Some quite good but nothing I would ever expect the hear on the radio, not now nor radio in the 70's (for example). I almost feel like we're not doing McCartney III any favors by reviewing song by song. This album works so much better as an album, an uninterrupted listen, than as a package of individual songs. For the most part it creates a sustained mood without any outliers. Within that context, Women and Wives is quite enjoyable.

joy stinson, Who Cares, Bevok and 3 others like this.
  8. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

When people say that McCartney hasn't done anything good in a while or since the 70s, I'd tell them to put the pipe down! For those people, I definitely wouldn't suggest Women And Wives because it's horrible to my ears! I'd suggest...
    Dominoes
    I Can Bet
    Alligator
    Too Much Rain
    My Valentine
    This is prime McCartney, not him just fooling around which is what McCartney III sounds like IMHO.

Ms. Daisy likes this.
  9. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

"Women and Wives" is easily the best song on the album, the closest thing to a fully realized track. Even so, it feels like something's missing from the arrangement, and I find myself wishing George Martin or Nigel Godrich had been around. I'd give it an 8/10. I can't think of another track I'd give more than a 7.5, if that.

10. Dr. Pepper

It's so strange how everyone but me just seems to love this track. I mean I like it, but it's the third best track out of the four we've had so far, IMHO. There are another four tracks coming up that just leave everything we've heard so far in the dust, again in my opinion.

11. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

But what about that piano? That's a lush piano sound. And what about that bass tone? I don't think there's a song in his entire catalogue with bass like that. You don't like his voice in this either? Someone said he sounded like Tom Jones, and I can hear that, but I kinda think that's a good thing. lol

Orson Swells and omikron like this.
  12. Bemagnus

That one is one of my favorites of both albums. S t Vincent or more correct Ann Clark turns this gorgeous song into a swampy gospel blues with a sweet choir. Everything played and sung by her exept Pauls brilliant lead-vocals. Great guitar solo as well.
    As far as Im concerned this track would have been a highlight on most any Macca album. That goes for Pauls version as well
    A stunner

13. Bemagnus

One can t like everything. For me one of the best songs on the album and also on the re-Imagined one

14. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

The song just doesn't sound good to my ears period!

15. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Long Tailed Winter Bird

Paul creates a masterpiece, showcasing his talent inside the chaos with an exquisite combination of sounds and direct words. Bravo!!!

Lyrics:

Do you miss me?
    Do you feel me?
    Do you miss me?
    Do you feel me?
    Do you miss me?
    Do you feel me?
    Do you touch me?
    Do you…
    [Repeat]

© 2020 MPL Communications Ltd.

Credits:

McCartney …

Written by Paul McCartney
    Length: 5:17 min
    Instruments and Voices by Paul McCartney
    Produced and Composed by Paul McCartney
    Made in Rockdown
    Engineered by Steve Orchard assisted by Keith Smith at Hog Hill Mill
    Mastered by Randy Merrill at Sterling Sound
    Label: Capitol

Paul's own words:

https://mobile.twitter.com/paulmccartney/status/1341111930581377027?lang=en

Dec 21, 2020

Paul: "The title came about when it was extended into a full-length song so we called it Long Tailed Winter Bird. And a little fact for you, in my bird book I saw a long tailed duck!"

#TimsTwitterListeningParty[​IMG] #McCartneyIII[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Music Video:

16. BZync

BZync Senior Member

To my ears his vocal sounds like he's emulating the old blues guys. Scratchy and world weary. It's a voice that conveys experience.

17. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Long Tailed Winter Bird...

Lyric Video:

Credits:

Lucy Dyson- Artist, animator, director. Berlin
    Randi Wilens
    Molly Rose Dyson
    Isobel Knowles

Lucy Dyson on Instagram:

"“Long Tailed Winter Bird” 01 of 11 official lyric videos I directed for @paulmccartney for his McCartney III album. I made these over Dec/Jan, it was an incredible privilege and I’m only getting around to posting the work now because it’s taken a couple of months to wrap my head around the fact I got to do this! I didn’t do it alone though, @mollydogson illustrated all the photos I was working with and @isobelknowles assisted with animation. Executive producer @randirwmedia"

18. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

McCartney III (Official Album Trailer)

WilliamWes, omikron and Dr. Pepper like this.
  19. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

20. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

12 Days Of Paul

Blossoms - Our interpretation of Paul McCartney's Long Tailed Winter Bird from McCartney III

21. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Long Tailed Winter Bird (Damon Albarn Remix) (4:10)

Credits:

McCartney III Imagined

Released: April 16, 2021
    Length: 4:10 min
    Written and Composed by Paul McCartney
    New Arrangement by Damon Albarn

Damon Albarn: Bass Guitar, Synth, Keyboards [Wurlitzer], Drum Machine
    Paul McCartney: Vocals, Drums, Bass, Guitar, Harmonium, Recorder

Recorded and Mixed by Stephen Sedgwick
    Produced by Damon Albarn

With Original Production by Paul McCartney

22. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Finally,

Long Tailed Winter Bird (Idris Elba Remix) (2:44)

Credits:

McCartney III Imagined

Released: July 23, 2021
    Length: 2:44 min
    Written and Composed by Paul McCartney

Idris Elba: Vocals
    PJ Harding: Backing Vocals, Guitar
    Louis Schoorl: Hammond, Piano
    Paul McCartney: Vocals

Recorded by Louis Schoorl at New Holland Studios, Sydney
    Additional vocals recorded by Steve Orchard at Hog Hill Mill
    Mixed by Rory Lyons at his garden studio "the Lyons Den", Cheltenham

Produced by Idris Elba, Rory Lyons, Louis Schoorl
    With Original Production by Paul McCartney

joy stinson and Dr. Pepper like this.
  23. Dr. Pepper

@Who Cares , well I do and I'm glad to have you back! Makes it all feel more official somehow! Feel free to catch up at your own pace.

24. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

To my ears McCartney is getting a pass!

BZync likes this.
  25. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Women and Wives 7.5/10

This is an interesting song for Paul. The title gives the listener a predisposition on what the topic of the song could be, something regarding relationships. In reality it’s more global. We all make decisions in life and the song is how our decisions affect the future generation. As a result, we are all ‘running towards tomorrow’ to paraphrase. Some of us are leading and some are chasing to keep up with the changes.

Paul could have taken the time to lay out examples but instead avoids that clichéd pitfall and just sticks with the open-ended theme. While not engrossing, the song remains topical and that’s a double-edged sword. It isn’t deep but it isn’t a banal look at humanity either. So we have yet another good song but it’s still “just an album track”. @BZync nails this point effectively.

I was going to give this track a 6/10 but ratcheted up the score a bit simply for one reason: the drums. Paul takes what would be a pretty pedestrian song for him and adds an element of intrigue. This is what he does well and why we find something to love in just about every song he makes. Those drums are almost march like? Maybe militant? It’s a very swirly beat isn’t it? Hard to lock on to a structure there. How can it be so loose yet so precisioned at the same time? It’s like the song is floating in a raft on Class II rapids, always unsure of its footing and slightly hard to keep in control. Now . . . here’s the part I really like. If you listen closely, those drums change over the course of the song. They get just a little stronger and louder towards the end. They get a little more intense. It’s so simple and subtle yet it’s a little trick to keep the ear engaged. It isn’t something that I can recall Paul has ever done before in his 60 year musical career. He is still inventing and innovating after all this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.