Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

The reason I started this thread is because it has not been done this way before. It might bevhsrd to followvthrough given the time-spann but as an excuse to discuss McCartneys songs it s just a bit of fun
    We lö see what happens
    :)

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

That would have fit in very nicely..or maybe even taken the place of a track I'm not too keen about that we haven't gotten to yet.
    Oh! You all know which one it is !

3. Wildest cat from montana

It is fun...but lay off the booze when you're posting!

BZync likes this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

I personally don't really mind being told a thread I' ve started has been done before . Is there anything new under the sun?
    But I had a good laugh just now when I saw on the board a 2011 ( yes , eight years ago!) thread about poorly mastered CDs .in which the OP is somewhat sorry if the idea had been done before.
    Some things never change.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

My advice would be to do this one year at a time, i.e. change the thread title to "Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread (1970)" that way there would be a new jumping on point every "year" of McCartney's career. The next thread would be "Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread (1970)" and there would be a link at the end of this thread to that thread. Otherwise with these mammoth threads fewer and fewer folks start to comment and new folks are to intimidated to jump in. Just my 2 cents.

BZync likes this.
  6. Dr. Pepper

Now, on to the subject at hand... McCartney's first album after the Beatles disbanded seems more and more fresh each time I listen to it. It feels like Paul asked us to stop by his flat and asked us to listen to some new stuff he is working on. He's almost asking us "Here is some new stuff I'm trying on my own, what do you think?"

Wil1972, pantofis, Rojo and 1 other person like this.
  7. Dr. Pepper

Correct, but there is an undeniable eternal freshness to it, that is very pleasant to experience over and over again.

8. Dr. Pepper

A wonderful track to establish where Paul's mind set was at the time. Linda was his love, his partner, his focus. I love that it comes at the beginning to differentiate it from the usual tagged on at the end throw aways, because this is not a throw away in that it is what Paul believes and he is sharing it with us. A rare completely personal statement in song from Paul. Thank you Paul.

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Man We Was Lonely - really like this one, the guitar, the verse melody, the overall down home stomping vibe. Didnt he cut a remake of this with Johnny Cash in the 80s? 5/5

The MEZ and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  10. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Yes. Still remains unreleased.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  11. Dr. Pepper

Love this track! So simple yet fun. Just a great track to go out into do a little dance in the rain!

12. Wildest cat from montana

It 's not well known but Paul actually invited George over to the farm to have a pre-release listen.
    George said : I'll like it if you want me to like it or I won't like it if you don't want me to. Whichever it is that pleases you , I'll say."
    Paul threw him out.

13. Bemagnus

I would not argue about the doctors advice. Still
    we will soldier on with this thread and see what happens
    There are lot s of songs to cover so if enough people stick with it won t be over for a while. Otherwise we hopefully have some fun on the way

man in the moon likes this.
  14. Dr. Pepper

Ever Night is certainly an album and possibly career highlight! Just a pure joy to listen to. If it wasn't for masterpiece Maybe I'm Amazed, this would be the best track on the album.

gja586 and Bemagnus like this.
  15. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Man We Was Lonely 3.5/5 ~ A typical McCartney humorous-british-country song. And one of the few fully developed songs on this album.

Bemagnus likes this.
  16. Dr. Pepper

Here is a great new version of Goodbye, well worth a listen. I think Goodbye should have closed the album.

Goodbye by Apple Jam on Spotify.

17. Dr. Pepper

It would be insanely fun for Paul to write and produce an album for Apple Jam.

theMess likes this.
  18. Bemagnus

I would not argue about the merits of Maybe I’m amazed-it s just that Every night is somehow closer to my heart
    When one think of it-McCartney contains three stone -cold masterpieces of song/craft. Every Night, Junk and Maybe I’m amazed
    Also some other unforgettable stuff
    Not bad really when one think of it

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  19. Bemagnus

Next one Oh you
    Not much of a song but contains some nice guitar-riffing and cool guitar-effects. Paul’s growling vocals are a treat. All in all an enjoyable track that bring some grit to the flavour. Not a great song but IMO Another great sound and groove-track

20. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Some comments I've in the past:

Why on earth didn't Paul play more tracks off of the McCartney album during the first couple Wings tours in Europe? Particularly "Oo You". It's quirkiness would have fit in perfectly in those setlists and with that loose band.

Also it occurred to me on my last listen of McCartney II after all these years that "Oo You" has a lot in common with "On The Way".

It may not be as polished as some of the others on the album but this is one of my favorites. I wonder if Paul will ever get back to doing some really organic, "rough" recording ever again? That craggly voice now might suit the style.

Who Cares, Bemagnus and Lance LaSalle like this.
  21. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Oo You kicks off side 2. It’s an OK track marred by some not pleasant vocalizing like a baby. Come on, Paul.

Side 2 is not as consistent as side 1 to these ears.

But early 70s McCartney made for serious prime Macca mixtapes!

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  22. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

"Ooh You" is a rockin' number with some great, biting lead guitar.

A bit underdeveloped lyrically (obviously) but a good solid dirty groove. 3.5/5.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    jmxw, WilliamWes, BZync and 1 other person like this.
  23. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

4/5. Part of another venerable McCartney tradition, this time stretching back to the days of She's A Woman, the straightforward rocker with half-assed, shoulda-replaced-em lyrics. This would definitely wear thin over time (and even the next album), but the one-man-band swamp rock groove, similar to Valentine Day, carries this one to the good pile.

WilliamWes, BZync, Bemagnus and 2 others like this.
  24. Wildest cat from montana

I like the way it kicks off with Paul saying " More guitar ! ". It would have been fine as the first album track.

Who Cares, jmxw and Lance LaSalle like this.
  25. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Always thought he said Poor Guitar but sure you're right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.