Paul McCartney - Egypt Station - Traveller’s Edition / Explorer's Edition*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No I’ve been a photo agent for 33 years. I rep commercial photographers and I work with ad agencies , designers , book publishers , food packagers and have worked on a bunch of printing promo pieces for my artists. I know about photo and illustrations licensing fees and used to know design fees and some printing costs.

2. There has been parallel music related merchandise for decades. Ever looked through a Beatlefest catalogue ? Fun stuff along with a ton of crap. But there’s a huge audience for licensing art type objects which has only grown bigger since the decline of physical music sales

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

How about that! I have the same puzzle. But all of the pieces are missing EXCEPT for 1 piece. And guess which one? I'll mail that piece to you ... ;)

4. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

A fool and his money...

adm62 likes this.
  5. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Mojo has been doing this for a while. Last year, they released a similar publication for The Beatles. Earlier this year, they did the same for Bowie.

6. The response i’d expect from you :tiphat:

7. Arnold Grove

Likewise :tiphat:

Mazzy likes this.
  8. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

If that's the case then that's the case, I don't know any better.

Side by side against the BBB though there's so little actual unique printed material. By unique I mean the format - size, paper type, colour use. There's also no-where near as much printed material in general. BBB looks, to me, to contain hundreds of pages of printed material as well as 10 times the audio content. I can't imagine that the production costs of this item get anywhere near that for the BBB despite being priced the same. The only thing I can think of that would cost any real figure to produce would be the suitcase itself.

It looks badly priced when compared the BBB and really poorly priced in comparison to WOA which must have cost a fortune to put together. It's perceived value is a lot lower than BBB.

The worry I have is that this is just going to set a precedent for overpriced underwhelming sets and it selling out sends the message that fans are happy to support this sort of shenanigans. And it is shenanigans in this case.

9. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Take away the price of the two box sets at retail value — that the actual cost of Wings Over Europe and the sleeve.
    Considering that there were at most 3,500 copies and the same Archive sets had to be pulled for those, with distribution world-wide, you end up with a costly amount of labour for a small amount of product.
    Especially when there's a distributor cost (so the people shipping make a profit) and label cost (because they are hosting the sales, paying the artist royalties, promoting, etc.) before MPL — and MPL has to pay the designers, the restoration team, etc.

MPLRecords likes this.
  10. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

I had a look now at the Beatlefest catalogue and I must admit that you are right. I agree that it is shockingly bad. I somehow see the sale of music content different to the sale of memorabilia which is licensed (or illegally produced). In my mind the two were separate markets but obviously this is not the case.

Mazzy likes this.
  11. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I can’t wait to find out what the hidden stuff is.

12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Probably a false bottom in the suitcase with a dvd or usb. Play it and get you get a jokey (Dana Carvey-like) Paul McCartney intro saying something like “Good job, travelers! You’ve found the hidden compartment! And we’ve got something special for you! It’s the Team Henrik version of “Come On To Me” (dance video) which is previously unreleased! Now you can vote for a new favorite in the #COTMChallenge!”

13. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I'm frightened at how plausible that is.

14. paulmccartneyistheman

Boy that would be terrible but honestly I can totally see it

15. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Don't expect anything great like a full concert and hour long interview. Those are the sort of things they promote in a press release. Usually it's the puzzle that is the hidden surprise. The fact that they lead with the puzzle and poster "worthy of framing" scares me to imagine what the surprise could be.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  16. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Seriously, what the hell is anyone going to do with this "over blown" additional cash grab....and considering that "Egypt Station" is a far cry from being a good LP...maybe two songs where his voice is decent...the rest..well????

17. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Perhaps a half pound of marijuana is secreted in the false bottom of the suitcase.

18. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Nope, according to Japanese officials, he leaves it at the top.

Who Cares, Ludger, Jayseph and 15 others like this.
  19. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

:laugh:

longdist01 and PhoffiFozz like this.
  20. paulmccartneyistheman

:laugh:

Wiserforthetime likes this.
  21. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

It's an Egypt Station toupee cleaning kit for the seasoned traveller.

Wiserforthetime likes this.
  22. Arnold Grove

Paul likes it on top ... :hide:

23. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

The Toppermost of the Poppermost!! :righton:

24. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Yes, and well-established artists with considerably long careers often get into other art-forms in addition to their music or whatever else it may be in the entertainment industry. It serves to keep boredom at bay, among other things, instead of just doing another album on a treadmill. Of course, McCartney got interested in painting and graphics in recent years, and is likely proud of this release, which has an art concept and combines a couple of his ongoing life interests.

Mazzy and MPLRecords like this.
  25. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Or just sand.

Paperback Writer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.