Paul McCartney's "Freshen Up" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Jul 3, 2018.

1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Since it's only the very rare wisps of nothingness and McCartney produces vastly more superior songs, I know exactly how you feel!

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I saw Macca 2X in Dallas in 2002 and he didn't do it then! Kinda surprised he did it in Arlington...

Who Cares likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

He included a lot of non-Wings songs on the "Wingspan" compilation.

I can see arguments why Macca would view "Ram" as a "Wings album", but it's clear he didn't consider stuff like "Every Night" and "Take It Away" to be Wings songs and they're on "Wingspan"...

MPLRecords and theMess like this.
  4. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

It does seem odd. Maybe it's Linda + 70s related. Getting to be a stretch though. Maybe he just needed to fill 2 cd's.

5. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

Maybe a team of people did it for him, he looked at it - puff puff - and he said 'That'll do' '.

6. Oatsdad

"Wingspan" is essentially "best of Paul 1970-1984. It has a heavy emphasis on the 70s and it ignores the 2 hits Paul had with outside stars - "E&I" and "SSS" - but it's really just a compilation that focuses on his hits - the reference to Wings is kinda just a gimmick and not literal...

7. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

"There are songs on there that strictly speaking aren't Wings. We've stretched the envelope a little bit -- it's called Paul McCartney and Wings. And I always like value for money. You get all this music -- over two-and-a-half hours of it -- for the price of one CD."

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/80344/paul-mccartney-on-his-not-so-silly-love-songs

8. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Also, note that this Billboard article specifies Top 10. While Paul's frequently charted on AC and Triple A/Adult Alternative, he mostly hasn't made it out of the teens till Come On To Me, which was in fact the closest thing he's had to a radio hit in some time.

MPLRecords likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Technically, the album is credited to "Paul McCartney", so he really could put whatever he wanted on it, regardless of era.

Still seemed silly to title the album "Wingspan" and use the two hands together Wings gesture but include non-Wings material! :shrug:

Also funny that he'd refer to "Paul McCartney and Wings" in 2001 since he fought that name back in the day and always wanted just to call the band "Wings"!

10. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Yes it will be my first time! I wasn't aware when he came to LA in 2014 and for his Desert Trip appearances, I was just a broke fresh out of high school graduate who was barely beginning their first job and I'm sure the tickets have sold out since I began receiving paychecks. Now everything is lined up for me to see him on July 13. Even got PTO for that day!

LSP2003, Elliottmarx, theMess and 7 others like this.
  11. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I hope we get an official copy of "Back In Brazil" from the South American shows. It sounds fantastic live!

theMess and Who Cares like this.
  12. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

In a pre-recorded phoner interview during today's Breakfast With The Beatles birthday celebration episode at Sirius XM's Beatles channel, McCartney mentioned the "drinking on stage incident":

"I had a little bit of a, sort of, chest infection kind of thing, so I was kind of struggling a little bit with my voice, and I normally just struggle through it and don’t worry and just swallow hard and just keep going kind of thing. But this night I was kind of feeling very dry, so I just thought: "oh, my God, I need to have a drink", you know, I’m just gonna blow the whole concert.

So at first I was trying to sort of just sneak a drink, then I thought: well, I don’t know, why would I sneak a drink? So I just said to the audience: "you know what, whenever I do a show, one of the things particularly the ladies say: “you never had a drink of water during the show!" I say, well, we never did, you know, ‘cause with The Beatles [..]"

On this occasion I just said: oh my god, I just got to. So I did and that is it, I broke a rule. I didn’t mean to have a rule, it’s just a habit, really, that I just never felt like I needed a drink on stage. But that night I felt like I needed it. Or [..] I just going to croak my way through the whole show."

*not going to type out the whole usual "with The Beatles" story :p.

13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

And now it is the "new normal", apparently.

14. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Little by little. From two encores to one. From 'Yesterday' and 'The Long And Winding Road' to neither of those. From a slightly different setlist every tour name to not even the opener being changed.

15. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

The Moisten Up Tour.

Is he taking a drink every show now? I know he did in Lexington.

Honestly I am glad that he is. He needs to stay hydrated and healthy. I can't even begin to imagine how hot it is on stage in his pants and long sleeve shirt with all the lights playing for 3 hours.

And he's now 77! Happy B-day, Paul!

I only wish I'll be half the man he used to be when I get to that age.

jmxw, forthlin, SixOClockBoos and 6 others like this.
  16. BASEDGronk

BASEDGronk Forum Resident

Oh no, how terrible it is that Paul McCartney plays only 39 songs in the course of almost 3 hours. How terrible is it he switched up the set list and took out yesterday this tour...even though you were just complaining about the set list for the nth time

17. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Eh? Paul McCartney's "Freshen Up" Tour

You're barking up the wrong tree there. Just making the point he's slowly but surely breaking through his patterns.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  18. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

It's his new bit!

Who Cares, theMess and RayS like this.
  19. RayS

"Hydration Station" :)

utopiarun, forthlin, ajsmith and 5 others like this.
  20. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Awesome, now when I see him in LA he will have a story to tell that I have not heard before.
    Who said he does not change things up.

21. RayS

In Lexington there was no story ... just a guy drinking water out of a squirt bottle (you wouldn't think THAT would qualify as news, but it does)!

susyredstripe and superstar19 like this.
  22. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

23. RayS

JLGB, forthlin, theMess and 1 other person like this.
  24. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

In the past 12 years, McCartney has released one live album and four new studio albums, including 2012’s “Ocean’s Full,” the orchestral score to his first ballet.

Oops:shh:

25. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Yes!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]