Paul McCartney's "Freshen Up" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Oh yeah, what would we want to hear live from III? I would love to hear Deep Deep Feeling, but doubt the audience would have the patience for it. Maybe just go with Winter Bird/When Winter Comes and call it good. Though it sure seems like Lavatory Lil and Slidin' could be fun in concert especially with Helter Skelter sandwiched in between!

Who Cares and warewolf95 like this.
  2. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Slidin' is probably Paul's obvious choice as he can scream through it without too much ill effect to his pitch in a live setting.

Find My Way is my choice as it is the most pop perfect song on the album. And he probably could handle it pretty well live given the range.

Knowing Paul he'd stick Deep Deep Down in there between Five Four Seconds and something else 'fun' like Ou Est Le Soleil.

warewolf95, elgoodo, fishcane and 2 others like this.
  3. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Robin Hood’s annual benefit, which raises money to fight poverty, will take place in person, once again, this Wednesday after going on a COVID-19 pandemic-induced hiatus.

The event, much like the Met Gala, will be star-studded, hosted by Cecily Strong and featuring performances by Alicia Keys, Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen and the Jonas Brothers.

This year, the event will also fall on the 20-year anniversary of the foundation’s Concert for New York City that aimed to help New Yorkers following the 9/11 attacks and raised over $35 million.

ROBIN HOOD’s ANNUAL BENEFIT RETURNS TO FIGHT FOR A BETTER NEW YORK | Robin Hood

https://www.nynmedia.com/content/robin-hood-benefit-back

Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, Alicia Keys And Jonas Bros To Come Together To Help New York City

WEDNESDAY
    OCTOBER 20, 2021
    5:45PM COCKTAILS | 7PM DINNER
    JAVITS CENTER, NYC

4. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Rumors of Paul doing concerts in two Brazilian cities in March 2022: Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo.

I seriously doubt he'll be back here in just 3 months' time.

5. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Still can't believe I actually got to see Paul in 2019 for the first time.

I'd been waiting literally since 2006 and assumed it would never happen.

Now with what the world has turned into I'm certain that was a once-in-a-lifetime concert for me and I feel so blessed I got to go.

Those of you that have seen him multiple times are beyond lucky :)

6. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i got to see him twice on this tour. He played twice in my same state and the tickets actually weren't too bad for about in the middle of the arena's, so i jumped at the chance and took my son and wife along for a great show! The 2nd show was better between the two, but i had a blast at both of them for sure !

Ms. Daisy, Who Cares, omikron and 2 others like this.
  7. mr._mojo_filter

mr._mojo_filter Forum Resident

I, as well, got to see him twice in 2019 (man, that seems like AGES ago).

It didn't hurt that I was front row row center for one of them...

8. warewolf95

Serious question (no attitude on my end) - how did you score those tix? How expensive were they?!

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think Macca sells super-expensive "front row VIP packages". Unclear if those tickets always go via that route, or if they sometimes are available cheaper because the front row packages don't sell out.

Hard to imagine front row center didn't sell via the VIP package, though.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong and Macca doesn't hold all front row for VIP? Or maybe Mojo splurged? :D

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. mr._mojo_filter

mr._mojo_filter Forum Resident

So this was for the San Diego show. Prior to this show, I had online that sometimes folks from the upper sections at Macca shows got upgraded to front row center... and that's what happened to me in San Diego.

Basically, a couple of other friends of mine bought tickets in the 300 section, and we walked around a bit until someone from Paul's team flagged us down to take a "survey". We knew at this moment that the "survey" was a ruse, and it was actually an opportunity to get seated in front row center.

Pretty amazing to say the least.

[​IMG]

11. warewolf95

Incredible! And what a pic!!!!

So what, did they just say "yo you guys have crap seats, here's some Front Row for you, merry christmas" or something? :p

12. The time it happened to me my daughter they said “ you’re obviously big fans how would you like to sit in the second row?”

mrjinks, Who Cares, Ms. Daisy and 3 others like this.
  13. warewolf95

That is so cool :)

14. Diego Esparcia

Diego Esparcia Forum Resident

I doubt it as well. Possibly he’ll do the European mini-tour he cancelled back in 2020, as a warm-up to Glastonbury (if he plays there). All this depending on the evolution of the pandemic. Too many “IF’s”.

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The same thing happened to me too.

I was up in the rafters at the back of the arena. One of Paul's guys came up to me and said “you’re obviously a big fan; how would you like to sit in the second row?”

I told him "it's first row or nothing for me".

;)

16. Lol. You should have held out for onstage playing guitar. That works too!

17. warewolf95

Here's a serious question for you guys -

How do you reconcile Paul's high ticket prices with him having more money than he could ever spend in his life?

Is it a technical thing - the production costs requiring higher prices
    Is it a manager thing - is Paul aware of prices/doesn't care/doesn't know?
    Is it a charity thing - do ticket revenues go for charity or something?
    Is it just general supply/demand - People pay the prices so the prices stay high?

I don't want to bash Paul, I'm just genuinely curious.

I mean, when I saw him in Greenville I was halfway back, first row of seats off the floor (10 feet up in the air, as close floor as you could be) and even thought cost me over $250 at the time.

He's the only artist I would even consider that for and it was worth every penny.

jeremylr, Guy Smiley and Arnold Grove like this.
  18. Arnold Grove

It is how the whole concert marketplace is. The idea of ultra-high concert ticket prices took hold in the late 1990s or early 2000s (I think) and just kept getting higher. It wasn't Paul's fault---although theoretically he could have demanded to keep his prices lower. But Paul probably just goes along with what his management tells him is the "going rate" of the other top-eschelon performers.

19. Arnold Grove

warewolf95 likes this.
  20. warewolf95

Right? I mean, I figured he probably "leaves it to the big boys" and just wants to get on with playing. Fair enough! At least he doesn't phone it in though - anyone that plays hour long soundcheck mini-concerts and then later goes and plays a full-on 3hour set with no intermission...yea that person loves it.

Sure he has his days with his voice and all that, but in that show I saw, never once did I get an inkling he was ever less than stoked to be there playing.

:)

jeremylr, Ms. Daisy and Arnold Grove like this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Yes. Paul never phones it in. He truly loves to bring musical joy to his audience, and he would consider it a dishonor to give them less than that.

jeremylr, Ms. Daisy and warewolf95 like this.
  22. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Paul plays a solid 2.5 - 3 hrs of amazing music. That's my justification.

23. BostonBob

BostonBob Paperback Writer

Photo taken by my daughter. June 1, 2019 at Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY.[​IMG]

24. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

"having more money than he could ever spend in his life" isn't a consideration of mine. I buy what ticket rates the expense for my concert tastes.

Ms. Daisy and BostonBob like this.
  25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Two words: Live Nation.

jeremylr and wayneklein like this.