Paul McCartney's "Freshen Up" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Jul 3, 2018.

1. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Yep!! It won’t come quick enough!

JDeanB likes this.
  2. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Glad you're getting him this time around. A good chunk of the Verizon Center was from N.C. last time he came to D.C.

3. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Good question. It's an amazing song and live sounds incredible. If only...

omikron likes this.
  4. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

It's depressing to think of what could remain of Paul's already deteriorating voice after this 2019 concert tour. But at least those you've never seen him live will get a chance.

I recently re-watched Tokyo 2013 and the difference between then and now was not subtle. Of course we're talking 5+ years ago, but the train could be nearing the station...... sadly.

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Or should it be "leaving the station"?

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Not to worry. He has figured out how to use Autotune. Now he only needs to be able to sing as well as Cher.

Frank likes this.
  7. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

He’s starting to reach 60 years of playing live. Maybe he should finally consider stopping touring this year.

DrBeatle likes this.
  8. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Honestly, the difference in his voice between this year and when I last saw him in 2016 is incredible. I've seen him twice, in 2013 and 2016 and his voice was basically the same to my ears both times. Now, it's pretty bad. I'd still go see him in a heartbeat and enjoy the hell out of it, but it's also not surprising...the dude is pushing 80 years old and has been singing on a daily basis for 60+ years.

9. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

That broadcast has been pitch corrected though. But I agree it has been a very slow and gradual decline with every time a noticeable difference in the 5 years, and it indeed has reached the point that he needs to completely overhaul his live set to gracefully adjust to this. And this is coming from someone who saw him live 10 times in the past 13 months...

DrBeatle and vinylbeat like this.
  10. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

11. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

"And then we are into another treat. A perk of my job, and probably one for the nerds, is to see Paul take out his 1964 Rickenbacker 4001S bass guitar – the same one which, although not quite as famous as his familiar Hofner, graced so many of The Beatles recordings, as well as tracks by Wings and those from his early solo years. And with that, the band rock into a heavy version of Jet."
    THE DREAM :yikes:

12. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Paul needs to take that bass out for touring again. It's as iconic as the Hofner.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  13. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I wonder if he dislikes Rocky, seems like a no brainer for the acoustic set and it suits his current vocal strengths.

14. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

15. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

What a relief, no Glastonbury! eFestivals for once not on the money this year, which I should've known since I already gave a hint about that a few months ago...

FRESHEN UP U.S. Tour 2019
    NEW ARENA DATE ADDED
    29th June: T MOBILE ARENA, Las Vegas, NV

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  16. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Las Vegas Date Added to #FreshenUpTour

FRESHEN UP U.S. Tour 2019
    NEW ARENA DATE ADDED
    29th June: T MOBILE ARENA, Las Vegas, NV

PaulMcCartney.com presale tickets for Las Vegas will be available from 10am (PST) / 6pm (GMT) Wednesday 16th January.

To purchase pre-sale tickets, click the link below and enter the password: PaulFreshenUpLasVegas

vince likes this.
  17. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

More memories/notes, for posterity:

No vocals during the 'Dance Tonight' chorus just before the drums kick in, possibly to have Abe Jr. get his moment, although he also lost track of the chords and lyrics soon after, at 1:50:

Then, he did the 'Eleanor Rigby' gravestone story after the song, which I personally didn't ever hear during his shows:

Paul MccCartney O2 London Dec 2018 Eleanor Rigby Fuh You

He also referenced Carpool Karaoke, it being the last gig of the year, fired back "hey, I'm talking here!" to a crowd member shouting something at him, gave a shout-out to someone in the crowd who saw 50 or so shows, and did his usual excuse for telling the same stories every night: "for the guy who heard these stories 55 times before" (paraphrasing).

The crowd at the front had cute signs for 'Wonderful Christmastime' ("ding", "dong" and a Christmas ornament one), and McCartney appreciated it and did the "guitar pick in mouth, pointing with both hands to fans and thumbs up" thank you he does.

18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

He’s getting closer to me. There’s now ten days between Vegas and San Jose, and we’re relatively right in between those cities logistically. Will he play Idaho for the first time ever? I almost hope not; I’ve seen him enough, and I fear all my fellow citizens ripping his vocal shortcomings. But if he were to actually play HERE, instead of 6 hours from here (like usual), I’d have to go...

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well, well, well......
    SOoooooo, King Paul's coming to town.....
    I know wifey's got 'connections'...so, I'm gonna ask HER if she can call in a few favors...
    so, I don't have to pay through the 'ying-yang' to see this!......

Who Cares and forthlin like this.
  20. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Amazing review and great videos...

mindgames likes this.
  21. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Apparently, the guys from Japan that release the IEM recordings flew over to the UK and recorded all 3 shows and soundchecks. This is not an offer of sale or anything like that. Just letting folks know that they are either already out there or coming real soon. I apologize if the mere mention is a rule infraction

22. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  23. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Sigh, why did Paul wait until his voice was almost gone before he started playing here again? Until 2012 he hadn’t done a show in Vancouver since 1964.

Who Cares likes this.
  25. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Keyword: almost

No I’m just kidding you..