Paul McCartney's "One On One" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 5th-beatle, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Guess there are many dwellers here who would be up to the task. In all honesty-Paul has been doin rather well without-to my knowledge-using a voice-coach.
    Paul is gettin old-so does his voice. Maybe that is something he has a hard time accepting. Just as some of his fans I dare say:)

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Doing a cameo for some movie shot in Vancouver. A friend talked to him right before the show he was completely blotto/4/20 mode. No way NBC air more than a tiny clip.

Elvis Costello/Krall/James McCartney also in the house

bababooey and theMess like this.
  3. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

Yes! His voice does vary a lot - I was listening to some radio interviews he'd done over the past few years, and there was no sense of any natural change - he'd sound incredibly hoarse in one, then quite youthful in one a year later, then really deep, then back up, etc etc. I think when he's had a decent rest between gigs he's been fine, but these tours these days would wreck a singer decades younger.

theMess likes this.
  4. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

All of the above. And none will be named "Boo" and "Pistol"!!

5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Perhaps Martha would be a fitting name:)

6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Exactly- can you imagine somebody trying to convince McCartney to use a vocal coach (ala Mick Jagger etc) at this point in his career? Paul would respond with something like, "F--k off, mate, I've done all right without a vocal coach so far, haven't I?":laugh: The dude's almost 74- what are people expecting? The days when he could knock off belters like "Long Tall Sally" and "Kansas City" in one take were over fifty years ago.

DrBeatle likes this.
  7. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

That's sort of misinterpreting my point. I just think he needs to take more care of his voice to stop it deteriorating too quickly. I'm not suggesting he has a few sessions and re-emerges sounding forty years younger!

Tord, Zeki, DrBeatle and 1 other person like this.
  8. ohnothimagen

I wasn't specifically responding to your post with that remark, it was more of a rhetorical question:laugh: Actually, yer absolutely right, he should be taking better care of his voice- especially if he insists on three hour performances, doesn't want to alter the keys of the songs to suit his current vocal strength and -possibly most importantly- if he continues to keep charging what he charges for tickets just so the punters can have the privilege of seeing/hearing croak his way through "Maybe I'm Amazed" etc. Because that seems to be the way things are headed. Like Clint Eastwood said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I m not sure Clint knows his limitations either-judging from his last few flicks that are not very brilliant.

10. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

This is why he needs to lower the songs' keys, to accommodate his voice now. It'll prolong its life and will reduce the strain on it. But he's been pretty stubborn about singing the songs in the original keys. It worked up until 2014 or so, but it's obvious now that perhaps a rethink is in order...

gkmacca and theMess like this.
  11. DrBeatle

Don't forget, too, he's almost proud of the fact that he doesn't drink even a sip of water the entire 3 hour show...that's insane to me!

Drifter and theMess like this.
  12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

If he played shorter shows, further apart, rested his voice, had water when he needed it, warmed up before the shows, and lowered the keys of some of the most challenging songs, his shows would be far more consistent vocally. I understand why he doesn't want to do those things, but he is 73 now, not 23, and he could sound consistently better than he has so far on this tour.

Tord, forthlin, Johnny Reb and 2 others like this.
  13. ohnothimagen

True, but he sounded cool as hell saying it in Magnum Force back in '73...:righton:
    So much for the whole "drink seven glasses of water a day" bit...but that's okay, I drink about seven glasses a week maybe- most of my water intake has coffee added to it:laugh:

Benno123, Bemagnus and DrBeatle like this.
  14. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

Yes. It was interesting to watch that documentary about the making of the McCartney tribute album - several singers, much younger than him, were saying how high some of his songs were pitched and how they were having to take them down to sing them without any strain. His range is deceptively broad and impressive, and as yu say there's no shame in adapting some of those songs to suit his current voice.

theMess likes this.
  15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I saw Graham Nash, who is 74, a few months ago in concert. His voice is eons better preserved than Paul's. He does sip water between songs, and takes an intermission about 50 minutes into the show. At our show he announced something along the lines of "We're going to take a break for about 10 minutes. I'm 74 and I have to take a leak". Therein lies another motivation (perhaps a short-sighted one) for Paul to not drink water during the show. It's amazing that he never has a single night when he HAS to leave the stage before the encore break arrives.

theMess likes this.
  16. DrBeatle

Guess it DEPENDS on the show.

:hide:

:cool:

17. RayS

That would be taking "the show must go on" too far for my tastes. :)

EDIT:

And I should add, in a bit of irony, that before starting his encore with "Blackbird", Nash says that he and his guitarist (he does a 2 man show these days) don't do much to warm up their voices before shows - they just "sing Beatle songs".

EDIT AGAIN:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    theMess and DrBeatle like this.
  18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

There are a few older singers that kept their voices Graham Nash for sure Aaron Neville and some others. But actually they are more exeptions than rules. Guess we have to accept Pauls voice is what it is these days.

19. abraxa

abraxa Forum Resident

I genuinely think Paul's version from Tuesday sounds better than the version above though, just my personal preference.

Smxx777 likes this.
  20. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

I don't think he needs a voice coach. He just needs more time between shows, perhaps drink a bit of water etc. He's 74 and sings better than all of us still. He just needs to take better care of it. He has a pretty brutal schedule for a guy half his age.

21. Frank

Frank Senior Member

No offense, but there is nothing accurate about this post. He's not 74. A bit of water doesn't reverse aging. He doesn't sing better than all of us. And many, many people half his age work 40+ hour weeks, some under grueling conditions, only the luckiest doing something they absolutely love.

theMess, Charlie DJ, DrBeatle and 2 others like this.
  22. RayS

I love the guy, but wow, you have a rose-colored hearing aid. :) Nash can still SING, Paul is straining on almost every line he performs, and he wavers significantly in a number of places. If you prefer the McCartney arrangement, or you just like Paul McCartney more, so be it, but objectively, one is the performance of an old man who can still sing the song, and the other isn't (IMO, and all that).

theMess and Frank like this.
  23. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Graham is an interesting case. On one hand, he sounds solid. But he has stopped singing high notes in his lead vocals about 25 years ago and alters the melody a lot. Yet he'll still pull out some high notes on the harmonies that he'd never sing in a lead anymore (Wooden Ships).

I ended up teaching voice for a living partly because my own voice goes to **** really fast if I'm not constantly exercising it and dropping tension that comes from singing songs night after night. It blows my mind that Paul has never had to do that. Stevie Wonder has worked hard on his voice and you can really hear the difference. I guess Paul is kinda like the brilliant kid who cruises through high school with straight As and not having to work at it. Eventually that catches up to you. God love'im

theMess, forthlin, Rojo and 2 others like this.
  24. RayS

Nash starts a new leg tonight, and is doing 15 shows in 15 cities in 24 nights. If McCartney's touring schedule is "grueling" at 73, than Nash's is suicidal at 74. :)

25. abraxa

abraxa Forum Resident

I respect your opinion but as I said I prefer the performance in the clip I posted. I agree he wavers especially early in the song but not too the point where it takes me out of the song, I prefer the tones and the timbre of his voice doing Blackbird in that clip to the performance you posted by Nash. I am not saying his voice isn't diminished compared to what it once was but in the case of this particular song I still enjoy the way he sounds singing it more than I did Nash.

I'd still take the original of course head and shoulders over both. There are some recent live performances of Paul's I don't enjoy, if you went back through this thread you would find I suggested he needs to retire MIA. I don't think I have a rose-coloured hearing aid although I'm sure such a thing would be valuable and of course my opinion is subjective as I said it's a personal opinion, but then when it comes to how much we enjoy a performance of a song, I think it always is.

theMess, Rocco and RayS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.