Paul McCartney's "One On One" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 5th-beatle, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Hopefully if I go see Dylan in June, his program will come with crayons AND pages to color in.

:nyah:

susyredstripe and theMess like this.
  2. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I'm kind of partial to the winking tough fist guy picture myself but I think I'll hold out for the "straining to reach the middle-to-high notes" avatar.

3. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

You disappoint. (Not that I'm surprised)

But you still haven't disappointed me as often as Paul has over the years, so there's that.

4. Yes, quite recently:

PRINCE

Paul McCartney remembers ringing in 2016 with Prince

Paul McCartney is mourning the man with whom he rang in 2016. The former Beatle spent New Year’s Eve at a bash in St. Barts with Prince, who died Thursday at age 57.

“Saddened by Prince’s death. Proud to have seen in the New Year with him,” McCartney wrote on Twitter. “He seemed fine and played brilliantly funky music.”

Related: Prince’s Life in Pictures

“God bless this creative giant,” he wrote in a second tweet. “Thanks Prince. Love X

The pair of icons also crossed paths earlier in 2015 when they both performed at the after-party for Saturday Night Live’s 40th anniversary celebration.

Promoted Stories

5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

The SNL event where he played with Fallon and Swift was the same show that Prince played, where Ed Sheeran spoke about being interrupted by Prince whilst he was speaking with Paul.

6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Paul also met Prince years ago, some time in the late 90's I think. I am sure that they were both on the same show, although if I remember correctly it was somewhere in the North of England. Maybe someone else can find information on this?

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  7. mandtman

mandtman Forum Resident

While I do agree that Paul would sound better if he lowered the keys on his songs in concert, the bigger picture is that the deaths of Bowie, Prince, etc show that we are lucky he's still around at age 73 for us to be having this discussion. Long live Paul!

8. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Are you sure? Sheeran said his encounter took place "at a party in Hollywood." The SNL event was in New York.

theMess likes this.
  9. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Really? When I saw Prince interrupt Ed from speaking to Paul, it was at the SNL after party. :D

Just kidding; I must be wrong then. Thanks for the correction. :righton:

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That was Prince CHARLES, and Paul first met him in the mid-1960s... ;)

Glenn Christense and theMess like this.
  11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That's right; it was the same event as where he first met Queen Elizabeth and King Presely. :D

12. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

Yes we are lucky.

I'd much rather he be spending his time writing and recording these days - instead of croaking out "Yesterday" for the unwashed masses. I've come to believe that he truly is a bottomless pit of creativity, and based on what he's done for the past 8-9 years or so - I definitely want more.

13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

[​IMG]

theMess, Johnny Reb and Frank like this.
  14. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

I wonder what audience they are going after. :sigh: :wtf:

15. I think this is new here, evidently my last post was unintentional old news. LOL

I guess our invite didn't make it here to SHF! .......and Leo stole my date!

“St. Barts makes the hustle on Golden Globes weekend look like child’s play,” said a Hollywood insider of navigating a sea of stars, moguls and parties on the island for New Year’s Eve.

Prince played Roman Abramovich’s annual bash, and caused a stir among even the most jaded regulars when he arrived via helicopter the day of the party.

“Roman runs the show,” sighed a source of New Year’s Eve’s most exclusive party. “If you’re not on the list, you’re at the kids’ table.”

Spotted celebrating in St. Barts this year were entertainment types Leo DiCaprio, George Lucas, Paul McCartney, Brett Ratner, Chris Rock, LA Reid, Guy Oseary, Lyor Cohen, Rick Rubin and Russell Simmons, as well as tycoons David Geffen, Barry Diller, Len Blavatnik, Steve Tisch, Jeff Bewkes, Vivi Nevo and Michael Ovitz.

Art world fixtures included Larry Gagosian, Samantha Boardman and Aby Rosen, Brooke Garber Neidich, Richard Prince and Jean Pigozzi, while designers included Stella McCartney and Diane von Furstenberg.

16. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Is that the one where Jimmy Fallon slobbered all over all the classic rockers in the house, then interjected himself into a musical performance that his resume was pathetically underqualified for, acting like Wayne Campbell on speed? I'm sorry, I really should be more specific, I realize I'm not giving enough clues to narrow it down.

theMess, JoeRockhead and Syd Avett like this.
  17. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Um...yeah. What the hell? I still have my Beatles coloring book from 1964 but I was 9 years old (which frankly was maybe even a touch too old even then.) It seems like there is still a lot of juvenile slanted content on his website. I appreciate that Paul keeps it "family friendly" but I'm not paying $30 for the program so my granddaughter can color in it or pull the stickers out of it. What a minute...he's trying to get me to buy TWO! Wiley bastard!;)

18. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I have a decent seat for Cleveland in August, I bought via his website's presale. I looked at tickets for the arena's presale yesterday and they had better seats than the PM.com presale. I wish I had waited. I tried to buy one of the better seats that came up - front row of the side section next to the stage 20 minutes after the sale started - but I clicked the wrong button and lost the ticket. I would have sold the other one. Normal sale is Monday, I will try again but regardless I am seeing Paul again. Since there is not much change setlist wise since October if I missed this time around it would be no big deal but since the show falls during my vacation I figured what the heck.

If Paul wasn't touring people would be complaining that he never plays live. He plays live and people complain about his voice and/or setlists. I just don't think Paul can ever win with some people. But he makes me happy and with the deaths of Bowie, Prince, Glenn Frey, Merle Haggard recently I am going to take every opportunity I can to see my favorite artist because sometime in the future I won't be able to. As fast as time moves that sometime will be here sooner than later.

19. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

My wife and I are huge fans and have seen Paul a number of times. Each time he's sounded great and put on a fantastic show.

I'm not sure I want to go see him in concert again with the way his voice sounds now, would hate for it to be my last memory of seeing him live...

I'm torn.

20. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

You should go.

ConnieGuitar and Johnny Reb like this.
  21. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I just hope he doesn't reach that level of Sinatra on Duets. But something tells me he already has.

22. dralan

dralan Forum Resident

There's a huge amount of footage from his most recent concerts in this thread and on youtube. Have a listen and decide whether you think you would enjoy it.

Personally I think one on one is most likely one last one. I don't think he'll tour like this again after this one. Still if you have good memories and you think you wouldn't enjoy hearing his vocal decline then you are right to steer clear.

I think he wants his band to have one last big pay day. There are about a hundred people who make their living from being part of Paul's tours. It's a lot of livelihoods. The audience still goes away happy but Paul and his people will know there's only so much road left.

23. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Japanese. The stickers are reminiscent of the avatar program that he announced mid-tour last, and apparently is quite popular over there.

Plus those exact same colouring pages appeared on his website — so he's recycling a lot of material to make this book.

24. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

First off, I do take offense because you are taking everything literally. Let me see if I can explain it to you without somebody reporting me for being mean. He's 73, not 74. BFD, I'm off by one year. Number two, where do I claim that drinking water reverses aging? Everyone on the planet drinks water and we do not have a whole planet of Benjamin Buttons. Water does offer soothing relief. Third, you are correct. Many people half his age do work 40 plus hours a week. What does that have to do with anything? For a 73 year old man to go thru the touring schedule he goes thru with 3 1/2 hour shows and then adding his sound checks, yes that is grueling no matter how much you love your job. Touring is tough. Just ask any band that's done it for an extended period, no matter what age, even if you travel in luxury as I'm sure Paul does. and you are right. He doesn't sing better than all of us. There's a guy in Philly name of Frank. He sings better than McCartney. There's also a guy in Bismark, North Dakota. Lives on the outskirts of town. He also sings better than McCartney. So other than Ray and this guy, McCartney comes in third.

What McCartney should do is take a longer period between shows and rest his voice. I have heard him sound ragged at times recently but when I last saw him at Fenway Park a few years back, he sounded great. In fact, he was almost as good as Ray from Philly.

25. Frank

Frank Senior Member

If it makes you feel better to pretend he sounds great, then pretend he sounds great. I don't understand why it's so important to you that I share in this delusion.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Ettan, graystoke, RayS and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.