Paul Revere and The Raiders

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pocofan, Dec 9, 2022.

1. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

the hits were "outside" yes. But Lindsay tells a terrific story of he and Terry sitting at the piano on Cielo Drive and writing "good thing".

2. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

My avatar says it all. My favorite album of all time

3. rkt88

I used to visit Terry's house when Lindsay was still his house mate. The red '65 Ferrari was not Terry's :)

I just had another recollection from "the time" and that is that 16 magazine was bigger than bubblegum and the editor was a very influential scene maker/scenester named Gloria Stavers.

My pop as head of west coast publicity at Columbia prior to becoming their w/c a&r guy was constantly in touch with Stavers who was always "waiting there to sell plastic wares" and my most hilarious remembrance was the seemingly never ending contest - the lucky winner of which would have... ( wait for it.. )

won a lock of Mark Lindsay's Pony Tail.

I **** you not. This was 16 Magazine front page hysteria hah

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    Mooserfan, DISKOJOE, Ryan Lux and 2 others like this.
  4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Many won't be aware how Terry Melcher was so fundamental to the band's vocal sound. His voice is locked in to so much of the background and quite easy to pick out...I can remember in the early-mid-70s listening to those Paul Revere and the Raiders records and thinking "where have I heard that voice?" not realizing I had a copy of Summer Means Fun (Bruce and Terry) in my stack of 45s, as well as the Hey Little Cobra LP. It would be decades before I finally found out by dint of reading about Melcher's career.

5. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I bet it probably was Mark’s :laugh: It’s probably worth about a million dollars now. I hope it’s still around as well as Gene Clark’s. He used a recording of it zooming down the street on a Raiders song.

rkt88 likes this.
  6. rkt88

it was Lindsay's Ferrari for certain. I paid rapt attention back then to who drove what.

LA was car culture personified and rock stars and their ilk - drove the best.

Ryan Lux and DISKOJOE like this.
  7. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Paul Revere and The Raiders were one of the support acts on The Beach Boys’ summer 1969 European tour. At the concert I went to (Brighton Dome), no-one in the audience - including me - had a clue who they were, and I had the impression we were supposed to like them more than we did (despite their playing their latest single, Let Me).

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

My wife and I had the pleasure of seeing the Teen Idols tour a number of years ago -- with Mark, Micky Dolenz & Peter Noone. I believe that is when they started doing this version of "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone". It's a fantastic rocker, and seeing them do it live was awesome! (There are other videos of them out there, but I went for one with a better visual.)

Hep Alien, Adam9 and RobRoyF like this.
  9. rkt88

good of you to recognize and laud Terry's mostly ":behind the scenes" yet pivotal involvement in so many. BB's included.

He was my mentor ( family ) friend - and his GF was Candy Bergen. Can I say my "idol"? lol

DISKOJOE likes this.
  10. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

A very solid record.

11. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Let me! What a hard pop classic, also we gotta have Louie-Go Home & Don't Take it so Hard!!

12. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Totally agree! with some KG help, Friday Music knocked this one out of the park!

Myke likes this.
  13. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

:edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs:

14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I believe it was Jerry Cole.

Hep Alien and rkt88 like this.
  15. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I am 68 now so I was 12 when Batman was on tv and I watched it. I can only imagine what young people think when they see this crap that passed for entertainment when we were young.

16. rkt88

I think you're right. does not sound like Ry at all. Has the "surf" sound of Jerry Cole for sure who probably influenced and at times worked with the lonely surfer Jack Nitzsche.

I hadn't heard this in 57+/- years ha. Terry and Mark tune and classic.

17. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Always liked Too Much Talk. An oft overlooked single.

18. Robbie California

Robbie California Forum Resident

It was either Mark or Terry I heard in an interview once years back ... the musical approach the band was trying to capture in the 1966-7 era was a blend of the toughness of the Rolling Stones and the pop sensibilities of The Dave Clark Five. They actually come pretty close to that.

DISKOJOE, Hep Alien, keef00 and 2 others like this.
  19. Paper Shark

Paper Shark Forum Resident

Great band. They made some awesome singles.

rkt88 likes this.
  20. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

Hit singles written by the band members, some with cohort/producer Terry Melcher [listed chronologically from 1961-1969] :
    #38 - Like, Long Hair - Paul Revere
    #48 - Steppin' Out - Mark Lindsay/Paul Revere
    #20 - The Great Airplane Strike - Mark Lindsay/Terry Melcher/Paul Revere
    # 4 - Good Thing - Lindsay/Melcher
    #20 - Ups And Downs - Lindsay/Melcher
    # 5 - Him Or Me - What's It Gonna Be - Lindsay/Melcher
    #17 - If I Had A Dream - Lindsay/Melcher
    #42 - Peace Of Mind - Mark Lindsay
    #19 - Too Much Talk - Lindsay
    #27 - Don't Take It So Hard - Lindsay
    #58 - Cinderella Sunshine - Lindsay
    #20 - Mr. Sun, Mr. Moon - Lindsay
    #20 (Certified Gold Record) - Let Me - Lindsay

Bolded: 10 Top 40 songs, 8 of those Top 20, two Top 5, one million-seller were band originals

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    DISKOJOE, Hep Alien, RobRoyF and 4 others like this.
  21. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

As far as the uniforms go...

This is Peace Of Mind, the last thing they did with Terry Melcher.

I don't think Terry was involved with the Goin' To Memphis album, just the single. I know Terry quit working with Mark because Mark worked with someone else and Terry wasn't having it. I don't know if it was the Memphis thing or something else.

This song didn't chart that well and a lot of people don't seem to like it. I love it, think it's insanely great. I don't even know anything else that sounds like this!

Anyway, they're still wearing uniforms similar to the Revolutionary War here, I guess.

22. rkt88

I have to post this track albeit one I loathed as a kid - and now I often hear on an oldies station locally. I have had to reassess the impetuousness of my then youthful dismissal of it.

For I have learned of the wisdom of robin hood and brotherhood and rollin' the ball in the hay.

I never won a lock of Mark Lindsay's pony tail. But I am not bitter.

Mooserfan and souldeep69 like this.
  23. rkt88

I had never heard that. a found nugget.

what's the back story of Terry quitting working with Lindsay and all that? that would also be new info to me.

Terry was never in need of collaborators and he and Lindsay had a good run.

DISKOJOE likes this.
  24. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

This is Too Much Talk from January 1968. The single came out in February. Now maybe in reaction to Peace Of Mind not doing that well they wanted to get another single out. But the Goin To Memphis album hadn't even come out yet! That came out in March 1968. Too Much Talk would be on Something's Happening which didn't come out until September 1968. There they are pictured in "mod" clothes, but that was more than 6 months after this. They seem to be in a transition here with these "wrapping paper" outfits.

Note: There are some un-PC visuals in this clip.

25. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

According to this article Mark did the Too Much Talk single on his own while Terry was on vacation:

Uncovering Mark Lindsay’s musical odyssey to the Rebel Raiders and beyond

rkt88 and Hep Alien like this.