Paul Simon Graceland - 25 anniversary vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Porkpie, Jan 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Cool they extended it. I deleted it as it is dynamically compressed and sounded worse than my old compact disc :laugh:
    Good luck, hopefully Sony can help you out :cheers:

jason202 likes this.
  2. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

If it's that bad, maybe I'll just rip the LP at some point.

3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Amazing that this has been around half as long as Sgt Peppers.

4. Audjack

Audjack Forum Resident

i have an original west germany lp of paul simons graceland and it slightly beats the 25th anniversary lp edition.

5. Krdo

Krdo Active Member

Hello,

I would like to know if there's any difference between the US and Europe pressings of the 25th Anniversary Edition. I've read very good reviews on the US pressed at RTI buy couldn't find any information on the European one. That's the one available in my country, does anybody own the European one? Any comments? Thanks

6. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

This is $14.88 new on Amazon right now if anyone is interested. I just picked one up.

7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just bought the MOV reissue of There Goes Rhymin Simon that was released on Friday and it sounds great. It's a straight up reissue of the analogue cut released a few years ago for Black Friday (RSD).

I'm now tempted by the Graceland reissue that's coming out next Friday (also a MOV reissue), but am listening now to my original copy and it sounds good. Those that feel the remaster is better, in what sense? Is there more clarity or punch?

8. So does anyone know if the EU reprints of 2017 are the same "RKS" mastered versions as the 25th Anniversary Legacy US edition? There appears to be THREE reissues since 2012 alone in the EU and there are multiple copies of the 2017 available on Ebay but is this the one to get? I already have the original German pressing (UK) from 1986.

9. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I bought it based on Fremer's review, and while he usually is spot on, in this case, I have to go with the original. What am I hearing between the two? Clarity. The original has clarity that the reissue is missing. Tom Port mentions this as well. The reissue is good, but once you hear the original side by side, the reissue has a sort of haze over it. Listen for yourself if you have the funds. Originals are not hard to find, nor the reissue. I don't know what happened as Ryan usually knocks it out of the park with his remasters. My opinion anyway.

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

Not sure on the original Sam, But Ryan's is a 44 to LP. Can't remember if this was a digital mix or not.

11. What's a "44 to LP"?

12. c-eling

Meaning Ryan's isn't a full analog cut, or digital was used in the ordinal recording and or mixed to.

13. c-eling

1986 mastering, compact disc-
    [​IMG]
    2012 RKS
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.