Paul Thomas Anderson - Phantom Thread - Christmas 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by inaptitude, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Plus a memorable turn in the X-Files.
    I've seen her on and off Broadway a number of times and she's always been marvelous.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Seattle? What's with all the sunshine? It's been cloudier here in SoCal! Looks like an amazing place to see it!

3. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

I live in Vancouver and trust me there ain't too much sunshine during the winter, we are given a few reprieves from the !@#$ rain.

I try to get down to the Cinerama as much as possible. The 70mm film fest is a highlight!

Gavinyl, harmonica98 and Mazzy like this.
  4. The Cinerama is showing all the best pic nominees now. Two days per film. Phantom Thread was shown digitally yesterday but it sure dod look like film to me. Beautiful photography.

chacha likes this.
  5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Saw it in 35mm tonight and thought it was just great. Loved the woman who played Alma- never seen her before. Really captivating movie.

Ghostworld likes this.
  6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I saw this on Monday. Although I had some reservations (mainly relating to the final twenty minutes or so), I was totally absorbed by it.

The soundtrack (by Jonny Greenwood) is the best I've heard in years and the House Of Woodcock theme is a real earworm. So much so that I picked up the soundtrack album today. It's years and years since I've bought a film soundtrack!

Ghostworld and Plinko like this.
  7. Best film of the year by far. Shape of Water second.

Ghostworld likes this.
  8. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

My wife recently got over a week-long bout with a head cold. This morning a commercial for Phantom Thread came on the TV, and she said, "You know, I felt extra in love with you when I was sick." To which I replied, "Should I go out and pick some mushrooms?" We both laughed about it. :laugh:

9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I’ve seen many a film at this fine theatre. Fun memories. My favorite was opening night for Last Temptation of Christ (which I was very underwhelmed with). Tons of picketers telling me I was going to go to hell for seeing such a blasphemous film - I told them I’d be fine in hell if they were a long way away from me. :)

10. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Saw this a couple weeks ago but didn't see the thread until now. I've been a fan of PTA's since Magnolia and love all his movies, although this thread has alerted me to the fact that I missed one, Inherent Vice.

What's interesting to me is how far he's come. Magnolia and Boogie Nights were...I don't want to say 'bombastic' because that has negative overtones that I don't intend, but they were large scale paintings on huge canvases with a dazzling number of characters--all deftly controlled by PTA. They had a 'look at me and how great a movie I can make' veneer to them, but they were done so well it wasn't off-putting. He was a composer unafraid to sound every instrument in the orchestra, often all at once, sometimes in unusual combinations, but always sounding assured and never experimental.

And then there's Phantom Thread. So opposite in scale and scope but even more self-assured. A chamber piece--somehow 'flute sonata' seems the most appropriate. All his films have been primarily about relationships, but this one reduces it to the bare minimum. Nothing here detracts from it, and any other relationship (he and his mother, she and his sister) merely gives us a breather so we can focus our attention anew on the main one.

I doubt Anderson could make a feature length film on a smaller scale, but his resourcefulness could yet surprise me.

Plinko and Ghostworld like this.
  11. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Have you seen "Hard Eight?"

12. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Yes and loved it. That was definitely a smaller scale but I originally attributed that to budget (and Punch Drunk Love as a Psycho-like exercise in scaling back), but now I'm inclined to see the excesses of Boogie Nights and Magnolia as the aberrations.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I could never say a bad thing about "Boogie Nights." When I saw that film, I was floored and knew THAT NIGHT that there was another cinematic genius on the scene (and it doesn't really happen that often). "Boogie Nights" was an absolute joy from start to finish with every scene containing some inventive gem with a wicked good sense of humor masterminding the whole picture under PTA's controll. Not since "Nashville" has such a large ensemble piece (except for Scorcese, another TRUE master) worked so well or been so deliciously tongue in cheek. "Boogie Nights" has to make NO apologies in my mind.

Now "Magnolia." I loved it, but it can be abrasive at times. There's not a lot of warmth in that film, not that that isn't likely a defining aspect of PTA films: His lens is ruthless in capturing his performers sweat. And sometimes it gets brutal. "Magonlia" also that same manic post -modern screwball energy as "Punch Drunk Love" (see also Scorsese' "After Hours") which, again, twists your nerves on purpose like "Magnolia" -- which can feel like an endurance test. I'm so liking his work from "There Will Be Blood" and now his inspired, mature Kubrickian period piece/Hitchcockian "Vertigo" masterpiece "The Phantom Thread." Wow. He's really up there with them. The real thing.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    genesim and Plinko like this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The Phantom Thread. Mother! second. The Killing of a Sacred Deer 3rd. Blade runner 2046 4th.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Crowes72 likes this.
  15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

We finally saw this last weekend and both loved the film, though we had opposite interpretations of the ending. I was a lot more optimistic about the ending - "everything works out eventually!"

16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Would have loved to have seen it there and we were downtown for the first time in a while last weekend when the Cinerama was showing Black Panther. I miss the days when I could afford to live in Seattle and the Cinerama was my main theater.

Mazzy likes this.
  17. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

I’ve seen Phantom Thread three times now. I’ve read some who didn’t like/understand the scene in the kitchen in the last 15-20 minutes or so. For what it’s worth = pure genius.

Big fan of PTA’s work. Magnolia absolutely floored me the first time I saw it. Everything about it. Jason Robards’ performance. Wow, what a way to leave the building.

Punch Drunk Love – dark comedy and anxiety taken to new levels. At that time I was getting heavily into the music of Jon Brion and loved his score. Also, I’d never seen Adam Sandler in that light and it was a bit refreshing.

There Will Be Blood – DDL outright aping John Huston. No dialogue in the first 15-20 minutes and then there’s the score by Mr. Greenwood. My apologies to the Radiohead contingent but that’s the guy with the talent, not Escape from Thom Yorke. Ugh.

mikeyt likes this.
  18. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I'm really itching for a Criterion issue of There Will Be Blood, or at least a proper blu ray with a new transfer and some decent extras.

peopleareleaving likes this.
  19. Out today. Best film of 2017 imho.

[​IMG]

KevinP, teodoro and peopleareleaving like this.
  20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

The soundtrack finally came out on LP last week and it sounds excellent to my ears. :thumbsup:

Kinda crazy to think that one of the members of Radiohead made this.

Oh and it comes with booklet that's about 10" or so, containing sheet music for a selection of the songs, if one wanted to attempt to play them at home.

Mazzy likes this.
  21. Got it And still feel the film was the best of last year.

22. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Just saw this movie over the weekend. Great acting (Manville - wow!) & overall film making but damn, it ain't for me. It avoids a lot of tropes which I appreciate but it's one of those classics I'm cool with never watching again.

23. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I don’t see a lot of new films. Was there a film with a soundtrack as good as this one in the past Oscar season?

24. Great soundtrack. Saw it three times still my recent fave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.