Paula - Uk channel 4 documentary about Paula Yates

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by muzzer, Mar 14, 2023.

1. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seems such a long time ago now. She had so much life. Recommended.

2. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

And Peaches, too...:cry:

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I find it all too depressing.

cathandler likes this.
  4. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

Both parts are on YouTube (for now, anyway.) Here is the first part:

jupiter8 likes this.
  5. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

And here is the second (again, available for now)

6. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Forum Resident

Really good documentary, RIP

cathandler likes this.
  7. dunkoid

dunkoid Forum Resident

Watched both episodes last night. Wasn't a fan, but the way the press treated her was abysmal. It's hard to imagine what it's like having these leeches camping out on your doorstep, then sticking a camera in your face as soon as you leave the house. I don't know how these people sleep at night.

GillyT, Jack White and cathandler like this.
  8. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

:cry:
    [​IMG]

dunkoid likes this.
  9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I mostly remember her from her time on The Big Breakfast. Didn't really watch much of what came after that. But I thought she was entertaining for the most part on that show.

The British press can be especially cruel and difficult but we could ask the same of those who consume what the press put out. It's product. If someone is buying, someone will be selling. If no one watches, listens, reads, they'd have little interest.

dunkoid likes this.
  10. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Thanks for posting the links. I would have missed it, otherwise. Yates had her faults, but did not deserve the treatment meted out to her.

Years ago I read a lengthy magazine article about the Yates - Geldof - Hutchence saga that went into great detail. (I can't remember which magazine, unfortunately.) What a mess. It would be an understatement to label Geldof as despicable. What a nasty piece of work. After their break-up he put in the extra effort to make Yates' life a living hell.

P.S. Just to mention a few of things in the doc that might have slipped the viewers' notice:

'Suicide Blonde' - the headline of a pre-written obit someone sent to Yates, probably purposely as a cruel joke - was the name of an INXS single.

In one clip Yates is interviewing Kylie Minogue asking her if she had an affair with Prince. Minogue was Hutchence's one time girlfriend.

Also I found it curious that it was not mentioned that Hutchence had suffered brain damage falling and hitting his head from after being punched. That and his drug use resulted in much bizarre behaviour.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    Thwacko and muzzer like this.
  11. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Thanks for the link.

I felt so sad watching this. I will always associate Paula Yates with the carefree years I spent living in the UK during the 80s. Always enjoyed seeing her on the telly. Also I interviewed Michael Hutchence for our student radio station when INXS did our uni orientation week back when they were still an unknown band visiting from Oz 'across the ditch'. He was sooo young, still had a mullet as I remember and was really quite shy and softly spoken. The British tabloid press are something else though. Their sense of entitlement was/is off the charts! Climbing through peoples' windows and harassing them literally to death. Awful stuff.

dunkoid likes this.