Pause in Tull's Thick as a Brick

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pjrashid, Mar 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjrashid

pjrashid New Member Thread Starter

Forgive me...I'm sure this question has been asked and answered in this or the DCC forum.

After listening to Tull's Thick as a Brick on the Original Masters gold cd, there was a pause (no sound at all) for about 1 second at around 17:21 into the track. When I talked with someone on the other end of the phone at DCC where I purchased the cd, they told me that the pause was originally on the master tape. I thought this is odd because the MOFI version doesn't have the pause. That is, how can both be from the original master tapes if DCC version has a pause and the MOFI version doesn't? Can anyone explain?

2. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

One was made from a "production master dub" and one was made from the real master that had been sitting in Ian Anderson's garage for 24 years.

You guess which is which.

3. pjrashid

Humm.....I don't know, do you?

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think that John was being 'funny'. This was previously covered on the old board.

Of course the answer is DCC's version is from the Original Master Tapes while MFSL's was from the production master dub.

There is a great thread from the old board (I believe) where Steve relates the story of finally tracking the original tapes - in Ian Anderson's garage! They were couriered to California, Steve had, like 1 week to do a DAT (or whatever) and the original master tapes had to be back in England, pronto!

In a later thread, Steve mentioned that - ummm - he 'caught it' for using side one of Thick as a Brick instead of a short version. The vinyl uses a short version.

Steve, it was a good choice. But, listening to your version of TAAB and comparing it to my CDR of MFSL's version, I think it's time to give you "what for"! (he said, shaking his finger in the air). How dare you give us only side one! Side two was right there on the tape! 20 more minutes and bingo! What were you thinking, huh? Just forget to hit the stop button or something. ;) It's like getting one bite of a steak (insert your favorite food here) dinner and having it taken away from you!

Ahhhh, I wish!

;)

Just kidding (as I'm sure you know)......... you did go the extra mile with "side one" .... wish they hired you for the remasters instead of that other guy. *sigh*

5. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Quoting Gary

I know you were just kidding.

I just thought I'd add a bit of an observation in defense of Steve. The Original Masters CD on DCC clocks in at around 76 minutes. In other words there was no room.

I guess he could have issued it as a double CD. He would have to juggle the track order to make it work. Keeping the track order the same, you only have 13 minutes of disc space left after TAAB, so still no room.

I'd love a complete TAAB by Steve. I believe Tull's catalog is being remastered with No-Noise.

:)

Brian

6. pjrashid

Gary...thanks for the info. I don't know about you, but the pause did catch me by suprise because it occurs during what it seems to be the middle of Anderson's acoustic solo and it lasts for only a split second.

I would also like to see the entire TAAB released, as well as the older Tull stuff, like Benefit and Stand Up. For example, I think it would be interesting to check out the differences between the MOFI Stand Up (which I am fortunate enough to own), which I think still sounds a little muddy, with Steve's mastering genius. It's such a great album that needs to sound better!!
    The DCC Benefit was never released for unknown reasons (to me), but would be another great one to compare with MOFI.

In comparing side one of TAAB on DCC's Original Masters with MOFI, I heard much improvement, especially on the presence, clarity and depth of the music. Very nice indeed!!

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

It is. At Abbey Road by you know who.

Sorry you had to come to the defense of Steve. Did not realize my post sounded so harsh or serious. I'm starting to feel bad. I was just kidding! Maybe I should edit..... ?

I know that there was noooo way for him to do the whole album at all. Not in the contract or something. We are lucky to get side 1, too!

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Actually, while I'm not totally certain, I believe side two would have been on another tape. One master tape per side. I could be wrong, but...

9. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Quoting Gary

Nah! I understood what you meant. You were probably deep down wishing you could hear the rest of that song with the same excellent sound. I kind of wished that original album had Teacher, Bouree, A New Day Yesterday, and Song For Jeffrey. There was room (if you use the single edit of TAAB). At least with the extra room, we did get the first half of that song with great sound! Hats off to Steve!

I like Ian's selection of his latest Very Best-of CD (except Cheerio was filler). Just don't appreciate some of the edits and No-Noise.

Brian

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.