Pawn Stars

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Evan L, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

scobb likes this.
  3. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Maybe he can share a cell with the other Darwin award winner Jared (or whatever the Perv's name is) from Subway.

Benno123 likes this.
  4. brucifer

brucifer Well-Known Member

Free Chumlee!

scobb likes this.
  5. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

He might have just lost a great gig.

Rhett likes this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

They all look like a bunch of slobs to me. But I enjoy a slob now and then.

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The show jumped the shark years ago for me. The first couple seasons were interesting but then it got more "wacky sitcom-y".

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Uh well neither of them killed themselves dong something stupid (yet, anyway) so they wouldn't qualify for the Darwin Award. :)

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I noticed the Dad isn't on the show much this season. There seems to be some rumours that he's been ill.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  10. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Yeah, Richard "The Old Man" Harrison was basically missing from last season's shows too... He's the best one on the show...

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

He seems to be the most authentic one of the bunch. I fully believe that he's pretty much the guy we see on camera.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I haven't seen the show since we all learned how everything was set up. When I saw that Chumlee was arrested the other day I figured it was just a matter of time.

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'd totally watch a spinoff show called The Old Man where we just follow him around all day and watch him interact with people.

14. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Was there ever any doubt that it was set up? Thinking about it, it's not realistic to just set up cameras and hope for interesting stuff to possibly come through the door...spending hours on end waiting for TV-worthy material to show up.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I don't mind that it's set up. I just don't like the wacky comedy stuff they throw in that takes up the time they could be talking more about the items or have more people come in with items.

16. Tedster

Tedster Forum Resident

Chumlee: I'd like 3 years...

Judge: Sorry, best I can do is like 12... *bangs gavel*

zebop, clhboa and sloaches like this.
  17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Chumlee: What a ripoff man! I'm outta here!

:laugh:

Tedster likes this.
  18. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yeah, I never cared that it was set up. The interesting part was seeing these rare/unique objects and learning about their origins and history, not that every interaction was 100% "real." Never understood people's complaints about that.

marcb, Gary, Grand_Ennui and 2 others like this.
  19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, that's why I watched- to see the cool stuff (even if some of it were replicas or fakes).

20. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Yes, for the short time that I was watching the show, I used to say: "Thank god all this crap is set up!"

If the show was indeed "reality," we'd just see an endless parade of alcoholics and degenerate gamblers trying to pawn watches and necklaces at 2 am... That's where most of the money to support these places comes from... The show would have you believe that everyone and his brother has a Civil War-era rifle lost in a floorboard of their houses, and I'm good with that. It made for interesting TV... for a while.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Most of the "experts" they bring in are shysters and scammers who aren't qualified to appraise a bag of dirt.

JFS3 likes this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Even if he were free, I think I'd pass.

Tedster likes this.
  23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think the Bob Dylan episode was the straw that broke this Camel's back as far as the show being too hokey and scripted. That's the one where Chumlee just happened to run into Bob Dylan on the street and got him to sign an album. Of course Chumlee had him personally sign it to him which means the pawn shop couldn't re-sell it. :rolleyes:

groundharp likes this.
  24. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Any decent (i.e., entertaining) 'reality' show is going to be 'set up' to a large degree. They have formats to follow, time constraints to work with, and need to create content to be entertaining. "Conflict"--the basis for all good drama or comedy---doesn't always exist naturally so it only makes sense they'd create "conflict" for the characters to deal with.

The difference between the good reality shows and the bad ones are the degree to which the set ups are believable. I KNOW all these shows are fake, but at least draw me in and make me fall for it to at least some degree. That's all I ask.

Like others have said, this show used to be pretty good and in recent seasons has just become silly. Still enjoy seeing the items that come across the counter most of the time, but could do without all the "backroom" antics. But apparently that's what drives their ratings, so it is what it is.

25. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

The thing that always gave me a laugh(as with the other pawn shows) is that the people going in think they'll get top dollar. YOU ARE IN A PAWN SHOP. You want the money, they want to make money. Chumlee.....get what you deserve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.