Pawn Stars

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Evan L, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist Thread Starter

Now we know the Old Man's name(Richard Harrison).....

Evan

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Which, presumably, is also Rick's name...

3. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I don't understand how there could be so many 'experts' in the area for just about anything that is brought into the pawn shop. ANd it seems like all are his personal friend or something.

Pat

4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

well really it seems like just 5 or 6 experts, and they're probably the people who have bought those sorts of items from rick in the past, or at least have first dibs. It makes sense from Rick's point of view:

Get a better understanding of what he has and its value
    pay half of that value
    sell it for a smaller markup immediately to one of the experts / customers
    if they dont want it, mark it up higher for sale in the shop.

I see it at the Half Price Books & Records in my area. when things come in, they hold them for their good customers and sell to them at better prices than if they priced it for the shop because those are repeat customers, and the stuff is out the door immediately instead of sitting on the shelf for months.

How honest would the experts be when the cameras arent around? who knows, but I think ti's good for business to be fairly transparent - we offer low but fair prices for your stuff, and that reputation of not being compeletely ripped off gets more people in. in my experience, which amtches the show, the shop is pretty open about "we dont give you what the value is because we have to sell it at a profit to keep the store open", as opposed to we'll give you $20 bucks for a $7000 item

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. Evan L

As someone else said, Rick generally gives a better buying price than the average. Anyone try to sell used CDs to a used CD store lately?

Evan

6. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I've watched this show a couple of times and have been intrigued by it. The thing that fascinates me is looking at all the stuff in the background. I remember looking at one episode and saying to myself, "hey isn't that a Grammy Award in that glass case behind the counter???":bigeek:

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. phish

phish Jack Your Body

and a patriots first super bowl ring....

8. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I guess times are hard all over.:shake:

9. beep

beep Senior Member

Don't most experts get paid for their time? Not on this show. Chumlee is just the new Mikey.

10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Well, was that a ring for the thumpin' the Bears handed down to 'em? Might not bring much.

11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

in reality yes, a spiff of some kind, and then prob first dibbs on stuff they're interested on at a better price than what they'd mark it at in the case.

that jim morrison painting is butt ugly

12. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

Awesome show, this one and the Pickers. I dont' care how much is staged - it's just damn good TV!

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Are you kidding??? Look, the bottom line with a PAWN shop, ANY PAWN SHOP, is that the owners realize the individual is coming to them because they need money FAST. And if you want money fast, prepare to bend over. The only thing the guys on the show have going for them is that they are honest with the customer right up front. "Hey, it's worth $5000, but I'm only going to give you $2000. Take it or leave it." Anyone WHO DOESN'T NEED THE MONEY THEN AND THERE would try to find an auction house or even put the item on ebay. But, if you want to end it quick and clean, prepare to take a huge financial hit. It's the same with people who want their tax return IMMEDIATELY. NO PROBLEM. Once again, BEND OVER. Tax preparers are taking about 25% right off the top because the individual can't wait several weeks. So the tax preparer smiles, gets out the jar of Vaseline, and you know the rest. The only ones I feel sorry for are the individuals who really need the cash now. That's sad. But how many people put themselves in that situation because their brains are where their a** should be. :shake:

14. Evan L

And this isn't uncommon? If people don't realise going in that they're only going to get a small percentage of what their item is worth clearly haven't sold items to such a place before. Rick tells them upfront, "I need to make a profit". It's not like most people don't make it clear what the deal is.

From your post, you may feel you've been taken advantage of in the past.

Evan

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. Sam

Sam Senior Member

No, never bin taken advantage of. I feel bad for people WHO HAVE BEEN, because they are caught between a rock and a hard place. Many times by their own doing. Let's face it, why do you think Ric's Pawn shop is set up in Las Vegas???? Well, golly gee, do you think people would be willing to pawn their own Mother to get back to the gambling tables? You bet. So let's be honest----Pawn shops are set up to take advantage--legally--of people who are desperate. That's why you find most of them in the urban, low income areas. Tell me I'm wrong.

16. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

I suspect that actual Pawn Shops won't share information from the "experts" they bring in. I hope people don't take away from this show the idea that the Pawn Broker will do research for the benefit of the seller, unless the sale is done on a consignment basis.

17. Evan L

I'm not trying to argue with you. I guess I am smart enough to know what I would be getting into by dealing with these types of places.

Evan

18. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

But sometimes it is not. A person might be unemployed or facing an unexpected large expense like a major car repair or replacement of a furnace in winter or central air in summer (especially in the southwest).

Or, someone might find themselves having to dispose of a deceased parent's estate from long distance. My Dad lives alone and has a huge amount of collectibles in his house. Rare books, wedgewood, silver, watches, Netsukes, antique furniture, collectible presidential memorabilia, and English royal memorabilia, probably a dozen other types of collectibles I am not even aware of.

When my Dad goes someday, some items can be distributed to his heirs, but many will have to be sold to dealers or operators like Rick. It will be a shame that many items will have to be sold for less than they are worth, out of necessity, as none of my Dad's heirs lives in his area.

19. phish

phish Jack Your Body

some people don't want to be arsed with looking for top dollar for something, they are just looking to make a quick buck. like the guy who sold the flame thrower for $500 that he got out of a shed that he paid like $50 for. it's a place for desperation, but also one for convenience.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. Evan L

Valid point! Some people on the show have made some serious coin on their items and were very happy with their dealings with Rick.

Evan

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. Green Tea

Green Tea Sweet Soulful Sounds

Actually, he got $1000 for the flame thrower not $500.

"Guy asks $1500 and Rick counters $500… $800…..Counter with $1200 and Rick finals at $1000. DEAL $1000, not bad for finding in a storage shed!"

http://www.pawnstarsshow.com/

22. Sam

Sam Senior Member

They could have made more with a little research and effort. Yes, it is the easy way, but with reduced financial gain. If the person knows that, that's fine. I'm just saying that more can be made for your items with a little work.

23. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i stand corrected.

24. phish

phish Jack Your Body

define "a little work" when you are trying to sell a gun made in 1856 numbering in the hundreds?

25. Sam

Sam Senior Member

If I were you're Dad, and you did that, I'd come back from the grave looking for you. That's like a wife selling off her husband's valuable record collection at a garage sale after he kicks the bucket. Can you imagine??? I know I wouldn't want my kids to sell my valuable items to someone like Ric. My God, I would tell my kids if you don't want them, at least attempt to get most of what they are worth. I'm not saying you would be wrong to do that for most of the junk that a person may have in their house. But if your Dad truly has valuable items, for goodness sakes, take the time and effort to get the most from them. Or, make your Dad aware that when he goes, you plan on having a fire sale for everything that you and the remaining relatives don't want. If he can, maybe he can get the most money for his items. Any of my kids ever takes the easy way out with my valuable records, they will soon believe in ghosts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.