PayPal 1099-K changes for 2023*

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by markshan, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Any forward progress with that?

riverrat and quicksrt like this.
  2. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Yeah, that makes sense, thanks. It’s just that I’d personally rather avoid the whole accounting exercise period and don’t sell enough that going over the $600 is a given. Currently, I’m at $523 for purchase total and $433 if you just count what I actually received from PayPal.

If it’s the purchase total ($523) that counts, a couple of sales could push me over. If it’s the net ($433), I could probably sell everything I have listed and still not go over. Given it’s mid-Oct and I don’t have a whole lot listed for sale anyway, I’d just as soon shut down for the rest of the year to avoid going over $600 and having to calculate the actual profit/income.

markshan likes this.
  3. markshan

markshan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Reread my post.

4. markshan

Yeah, you are right. That is the one place it makes a difference. As I am already at a couple grand I just wasn't thinking of it that way.

captouch likes this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Some sellers think that they can assert that insurance is optional and at the buyer's additional expense. They think that if you don't buy insurance and the item is lost or stolen in transit, it will be the buyer's problem. They're wrong. It is the seller's responsibility to deliver the item in the promised condition. Until it arrives at the buyer's home in the promised condition, the seller is on the hook and any PayPal/eBay/CreditCard dispute with the seller will be a winner in that case, no matter what the seller wrote in their ad.

So, yeah, "free insurance" is just a marketing idea. The seller HAS to offer "free insurance".

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I drop insurance on any items near to $100. Or if I get a funny feeling about the buyer, or the item is $60 going to an apt. in a large city. Houses seem safer than apt. from my experience. And if the item is worth $100, I only insure it for $50. So I am managing risk and not increasing my costs to send the item dramatically. I often do not tell the buyer that I insured it. It's just something I do on about 15% of my outgoing packages.

I make a bit of profit on a CD sent out (not on LPs) and so I spend that saved cash on insurance on others. I'd bet my shipping costs with mailers break even. I'll find out in Jan. when I do my books' totals.

7. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

What happens if it shows as delivered on USPS, but buyer still claims they didn’t receive it (either porch pirate, mis-delivery that never gets re-delivered properly, or false claim by buyer) - who’s on the hook in those cases?

Just curious. Hasn’t happened to me, but wondering if there’s a clear cut responsible party for such cases.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

If the seller has a stellar rep and tracking says delivered, the buyer is out.

I've heard second-hand reports of a seller being on the hook even after tracking says delivered, but that was not verified. If a seller has a very shaky reputation, I could see a case where pp does not rule in their favor.

captouch likes this.
  9. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Thanks, that seems fair. I’ve actually (as the buyer) had a Amazon packages never arrive, which is not a problem to get re-delivered. But so far, it hasn’t happened to me on a private party sale.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

For a seller with a great reputation, eBay will usually side with the seller as long as there's proof of delivery.

Unfortunately, PayPal or a credit card dispute will usually go against the seller, if the buyer escalates to those platforms.

tmtomh and captouch like this.
  11. markshan

Agreed completely.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

This is the situation I am in with Amazon. Sales are just under $600 gross. I think I'll shut the store down for the year after one more sale.

And I am opening a new ebay store with no PP account attached. I'll keep that one at $590 of less for this coming year as well.

captouch likes this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Ok, Nov. elections have come and gone and I've seen nothing about this $600 1099k trigger being repealed. What have you heard about it?

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Per eBay policy, if the item shows as shipped in a timely manner and delivered via tracking, the seller is off the hook.

That said, PayPal can reverse the eBay decision.

captouch likes this.
  15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I see no reason for PP to do that, have you seen this happen?

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yes: eBay denies claim. User then files claim with PayPal and they allow it. I've had it happen to me.

17. Man, that's scary. Was this before or after eBay went to Managed Payments?

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think before. But it doesn't matter. PayPal follows their own rules. Another is that while eBay gives you 30 days to file a claim, PayPal gives you six months! So an order is not totally in the clear for six full months.

DarkSideOfTheMoo likes this.
  19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah it's always been like that since they give a buyer more time to file a claim.

But it's odd that PP would find in favour of the buyer if the tracking showed it was received. Could be some sort of loop hole that the buyer was able to take advantage of.

In the old days, the seller could call PayPal and argue their case & hope for the best, but since the transaction is between seller and eBay, they can't do that anymore.

But PayPal will be dropped in 2023 as a payment option on eBay so eventually buyers will only get 30 days. IIRC, it'll get dropped mid 2023.

20. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

What will replace PayPal?

21. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

At this late date in the year, it seems highly unlikely that it will be repealed.

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

EXTREMELY unlikely.

DarkSideOfTheMoo likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well, I have at least been getting my books in order, printing out all of the invoices from Discogs, and jotting down the D fees on them. Next is to jot down the PayPal fees on these invoices so I can begin to assemble the big spreadsheet. I have many hundreds of sales receipts from music purchases to use against gross revenue.

By the way, anyone notice that the best way to print out the Discogs invoices without any of the extra unneeded pages?

You click on the order number from the Orders page (brings up the transaction)
    Click the Print icon (on that Discogs page)
    Hit Ctrl + P (gets you to a manageable print screen)
    Select custom, and then select page 2

This will show just the invoice you need to print out for your record-keeping if you want a physical book with transactions logged in. I do want that.

I jot down D fees (with pen) on this printed as stated above, drop a 3-hole punch into the page, and place into a large binder in order from oldest to newest on top.

chazz101s likes this.
  24. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

It was always unlikely. They have to pinch the little man for everything they can.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's the same congress that increased IRS spending for $80B. Not too likely they're worried about reducing taxpayer impact.