PayPal 1099-K changes for 2023*

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by markshan, Aug 23, 2021.

1. The IRS is no better than the mob. Better file your **** correctly or they will come to bust your kneecaps.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Good news for this year. Still leaves us in limbo for next year.

Quakerism likes this.
  3. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I understand they are looking at a 10k limit sometime next year so all systems go.
    I never thought for a minute the $600 limit would ever have a chance of happening at all.

4. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Link didn't work for me. So they pushed the $600 cap back to 2023?

So what is the limit for this year?

5. markshan

markshan Forum Resident Thread Starter

DarkSideOfTheMoo and WarEagleRK like this.
  6. markshan

Cutting Through The Misinformation About The IRS’s Plan To Spend $80 Billion

hophedd and SamS like this.
  7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

8. markshan

As opposed to raging paranoia about restoring funding to the agency. I'll go ahead and give more weight to the Forbes guy, thanks anyhow.

gklainer likes this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Do what you want. It's still a free country.

10. markshan

I don't even know what this means.

11. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Think again, many states already have it. Don't get me wrong, I think it's absurd, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, here in Taxachusettes we've had this for several years.

bru87tr likes this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Praise baby jesus, and merrie christmas to everyone! I've been stressed out a bit.

14. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

No chance especially with current economic climate as they said today that it will end up between 10k up to 20k

15. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Yes. For a year. That's what I read this morning in the New York Times article on this.

16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Convenient to find this out with one week left in the year

Quakerism and Planbee like this.
  17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'll count my blessings and take them where I can get them.

18. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I hear you. I basically quit selling when I hit the $600 limit this year. Have no idea what to do about next year.

Quakerism and GentleSenator like this.
  19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

and i've missed your offerings here!!

Quakerism and Spitfire like this.
  20. markshan

I'm considering the spreadsheet I kept this year as a test drive for next year (if ever). It was still worthwhile for me to do, I found out I actually wasn't making as much as I thought.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Since I have all the invoices printed out and inserted chronologically into a binder, I may as well (also) complete the spreadsheet as well and see just what the net sales totals are against shipping and associated fees.

22. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

This looks like a really big win for the lobbyists. Money well spent for Ebay/Amazon/Paypal/Venmo etc....

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
    markshan likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

But get this, just because the rule has been delayed, does not mean that you cannot get the 1099k anyway. PayPal could just issue it anyway and say that we were already set up to send them out, so here is yours!

24. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

By delaying the rule at the very last minute (quite intentional), everyone who was going to comply for tax year 2022 already had. But that wasn’t the point.

The IRS commissioner would have you believe that they were responding to “a number of concerns regarding the timeline of implementation” and acted at the last minute to remove the burden of platforms to issue 1099’s out of a sense of fairness.

However, there were plenty of complaints forwarded to the IRS just before and early in the 2022 tax year. They could have easily acted very early on and prevented the shrinkage of the gig economy. Why didn’t they?

Just a thought but is this more about the supply and demand of labor than it is taxation? Is this about reversing the trend of platforms facilitating gig work which results in diverting workers from the traditional contract work and reshapes the entire economy? Is this perhaps about buying time for government to decide what regulations they will create for or against workers and platforms?

The shortage of workers means the economy has to be kept at an artificially low growth rate. Forcing workers to seek traditional employment adds workers to the workforce. Consider the available options to cause a movement of workers from gig side hustles to “legitimate traditional contract” work.

For me, this is simply an attempt to break up the influence the gig economy is having on the “standard employment relationships”. All the work that unions, labor and business have done over the years to create a “stable, socially protected, dependent, full time job” economy is being eroded.

The wild card is the flexibility gig work provides in both a good way and a bad way. And consider the negative effect the expansion of the gig economy has on social programs like social security and Medicare, welfare and every agency of the government.

This is worth reading…
    The Impact of the Gig Economy | OpenMind

markshan likes this.