PBS Masterpiece: Remake of All Creatures Great And Small

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Erik Tracy, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale Thread Starter

I'm a long time fan of the older series of All Creatures Great and Small - I have the whole series on DVD and have watched it several times. It's one of my favorite shows, actually.

So when I read that it was remade I was both skeptical and curious.

It's airing now on PBS Masterpiece, so I was able to catch episode one over the weekend.

The remake is both familiar and different. The major story points are getting checked off as being consistent with the older series so I'm guessing that the new series (like the old) are keeping close to the stories written by James Wight, aka James Harriot.

Still getting used to the new actors - those are some big shoes to step into compared to the performances of Christopher Timothy and Robert Hardy. So far, so good. My only concern is with a younger Mrs Hall.

It is very cool to see the Yorkshire Dales in high def, which plays a key role in the series.

Got the DVR set to record the series, so will have to see if I can wait to record them all and binge, or one at a time as they air from PBS.

2. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

I loved that show when I was younger. It hasn't been on our TV for ages. I've been to Thirsk a few times. It's a nice place.

Dignan2000, longdist01 and Erik Tracy like this.
  3. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I was skeptical, too, having watched the original when it was broadcast and then over again later.

I thought they did a good job and the shots of the landscape are great. Looking forward to more episodes.

Also I'm wondering why Mrs Hall seems so much younger than on the original series.

guy incognito and Erik Tracy like this.
  4. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I never saw the original, but I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode of the remake.

geetar_await and Erik Tracy like this.
  5. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

my wife reveres the original. this is destination viewing on Sundays at my house.

xilef regnu likes this.
  6. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Watched episode 1 last night. I was a fan of the books and subsequent series in the 70s. So far, I like it. Very soothing in these turbulent times.

7. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

PBS could show the originals but they trashed it to make room for plrdge drives.

bmasters9 likes this.
  8. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I saw the original years ago and I really like the first episode of the remake. It’s a nice escape from the hubbub around us.

Rhinojack and Karnak like this.
  9. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Watched the first episode for similar reasons to other posters. I suppose the colour and clarity (and wide-screenness) of the picture will add to the stories, and the farmer's daughter is delicious but because the story was so familiar it may be less intriguing than it once was.

Where would we have last seen the actor who plays Siegfried? Presumably some other series on PBS.

10. John B Good

I've been thinking, I don't remember noticing the music? Was it good, or was it just bland.

BTW Diana Rigg will be showing up.

11. I missed the first episode, but caught the second one tonight, and fell in love with it. I'm such a geek for the original series, in 1988 I rented a car in London and spent three days driving around the Yorkshire Dales, looking for and photographing locations from the show, among other things.

The actor playing Siegfried looks very familiar, but I can't place him.

~dave~~wave~ and John B Good like this.
  12. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

What do you think of Thirsk? I like it & think it's a nice, scenic market town.

13. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I've watched all 7 episodes streaming (I have a PBS Passport membership), and I loved them.

Steve Litos likes this.
  14. Very nice from what I remember; it was a long time ago.

HorseyAnn likes this.
  15. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

He had a relatively large role in Mr. Selfridge, I think he might've been in an episode of Midsomer Murders as well.

John B Good likes this.
  16. I don't know where I've seen him, but it wasn't in either of those.

17. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

Samuel West - IMDb

willy likes this.
  18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

That would include almost every working actor in the UK.

19. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Diana Rigg as Mrs. Pumphrey was perfect. And she seems to be playing the character as a bit more self-aware than Margaretta Scott did.

20. Diana Rigg...Christ, I didn't even recognize her.

21. John B Good

Yes, I recognize that image. And did watch Selfridges (I'm the one who asked the question :))

22. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I enjoy the remake, but don't yet love it as much as the original three season run. Having seen all seven episodes now, they do re-tell some of the original stories (in a slightly different manner)... but they also introduce new story lines, for better or worse. There is much less emphasis on the animals and the people of the Dales, it seems. It more about the drama surrounding the main characters. Mrs. Hall takes on a much larger role and they introduced a story-line about her estranged relationship with her son. And the story of Helen and James relationship takes a more significant turn from the original series as the episodes move along. I'm not totally thrilled with those decisions, but am hoping these are temporary sidetracks from the plot line and don't get dragged out too long. We'll know once they get into the second series.

I understand they are trying to make it a drama that will appeal to modern audiences, but I think the stories from the James Herriot (Alf Wight) books stand on their own and are timeless. That's probably why I don't care a lot for Season 4-7 of the series from the late 80s. At that point, they had run out of Alf Wight stories, so they started to write new ones. It just wasn't the same.

The actor playing Siegfried is probably the brightest spot in this new series, much like Robert Hardy was a highlight of the original series. He is definitely channeling Hardy at times, but also brings his own interpretation to the role. The actress playing Helen doesn't have the warmth of Carol Drinkwater, but it would be unfair to expect that. Helen is played somewhat as a tomboy now.

I don't expect PBS to show a 40-year old series, especially as it's not even a PBS series. They are on DVD for those who want to watch them... or can be streamed on Britbox, I believe.

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
  23. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I enjoy it, though Hardy is a tough act to follow.

Karnak likes this.
  24. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I remember him most from Howard’s End.

We are enjoying it so far. Given that it’s 40 years since the last series I don’t mind the update.

JohnK

25. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

The series and the Christmas special have all been shown here in the UK - don't worry I won't spoil it for anyone!

Having been a fan of the books and the old TV series, I must admit that for all of its deviations I did enjoy it. I particularly liked the relationship between Siegfried and Tristan. I think it could have done with more animal stories though.

Those deviations from the original stories I mentioned - they do come together quite nicely at the end.

Its a shame the pandemic broke as I suspect a second series would have been on the cards. Fingers crossed it will return.