PC "Media Center" Requirements

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rontokyo, Feb 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member Thread Starter

I was going to build a new PC for my wife--build one, that is, until I saw just how cheap they are at places like Fry's. So I can get a cheapo for like $450 that will *more* than meet her needs or for more dough I can get one with TV tuner [or something like that] to record TV programs to be viewed later on TV. Does it make more sense to do this rather than buy a stand alone DVD recorder? What all is required [ala "tuner"]? For most programs I wouldn't need to burn a DVD--am I correct in assuming that I can connect directly from PC to our digital amp to view stuff? I'm new at this [obviously].

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

What do you envision doing - more than anything - at this PC?

3. rontokyo

My wife will use it exclusively for the internet. So TV program "capture" and play will be its other/primary function.

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

For TV Capture / PVR type functionality look at the WinTV-PVR-250 by Hauppauge. This will let you record the show you want like a Tivo type device you can then add a +- DVD Burner to record stuff you want to keep to DVD.

5. rontokyo

Thanks, Mr. Crow, that may be exactly the hardware I need. I should've mentioned that where I live, Japan, there is nothing like the Tivo service that you in the US enjoy. So I guess what I'm looking to do is in some way approximate the Tivo functionality with my PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.