Peacock & Xfinity

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jpelg, Jun 8, 2023.

1. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, we've enjoyed Peacock as included in our Xfinity cable/internet service for a year or so. On June 26th, Peacock will no longer be part of our Xfinity subscription, and require an additional charge of $2.99/mo* for the Peacock Premium tier (content with ads) we've had.

*That's a promo subscription price available thru August for Xfinity customers, normal price is $4.99/mo

There will be a useless free tier, with limited programming & likely teasers of the initial episodes of series' (and remaining eps only available behind the paywall) designed to move users to the pay subscriptions.

One interesting thing is that Peacock is offering the same Premium tier under a promo for $19.99/yr. This is obviously a better deal than even Xfinity's promo, but presumably will require the Peacock app on my tv or other attached device (rather than thru my Xfinitiy DVR box).

While "Poker Face" is one of our favorite shows in the last year, I'm not sure the additional charge is worth it. Plus, it's sort of the principle over which I get a hair across my butt :p.

What are Peacock fans with Xfinity planning to do going forward?

jbmcb and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I'm getting Peacock free as I have gig speed (which varies greatly being cable). I guess enough customers complained.

audiomixer and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I guess I'm getting it for free.

5. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Peacock's free tier actually isn't completely terrible. It has a bunch of documentaries. Many horror movies are also free.

MikaelaArsenault and jpelg like this.
  6. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I don’t believe they offer the free tier to new customers any longer. NBCU Ends Peacock Free Tier for New Users - Variety

7. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

It also has opening rounds of golf tournaments that were previously only available on Golf Channel.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. The only thing I’ve watched on it are The Office ‘super fan’ episodes. As they’re only up to season six guess I’ll miss the rest. I’ll live.

Edit: I’m Platinum level so I should continue to get it for free, although the article posted above says I need to claim it as a reward but there’s no reward for it in my account. Typical Xfinity.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  9. Re-read what they sent you. You can’t claim the reward until 6/26.

MikaelaArsenault and Shawn like this.
  10. I haven’t received any communication from Xfinity on this. But I appreciate the info!

11. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

I got the same notification. To be honest Peacock has been one I tend to forget about - I have enough content from Criterion, Max, Netflix, Amazon Prime and regular Xfinity - also Disney+ occasionally. I'll probably be ok living without Peacock for now.

12. This is the full text of the email. I have seen variants for giga Ethernet subscribers, and those that were not getting if for free.

Enjoy Peacock Premium at no extra cost with Xfinity Rewards

We recently announced that Peacock Premium would no longer be included with your Xfinity service. Today, we're excited to share that you'll soon be eligible to get Peacock Premium at no extra cost as a special perk of being an Xfinity Internet customer and a Diamond or Platinum Xfinity Rewards member.

With Peacock Premium (currently $4.99/mo value), you can stream hit movies, live sports – like Sunday Night Football and the Premier League, exclusive Originals, and so much more.

Beginning June 26, you can redeem Peacock Premium by signing into Xfinity Rewards.

Thank you for being a member of Xfinity Rewards. We're grateful to have you as a customer.

MikaelaArsenault and Shawn like this.
  13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Programming is getting better!

14. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

People still have Xfinity?

MikaelaArsenault, ky658 and jpelg like this.
  15. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

We canceled our Peacock subscription not too long ago and got bumped down to the free tier. The main thing I watched on it was Cheers and now that's gone, so I don't miss it much.

MikaelaArsenault and eeglug like this.
  16. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

I think you still get the free tier if you subscribe and then cancel. But at least now you have to subscribe first.

17. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I rather enjoy Peacock, which oftentimes has first-run movies before other streamers. Case in point, this week they've added the Nicholas Cage film "Renfield"!

Also, I enjoyed "Poker Face" and "Girls5eva" (which has now gone to Netflix for its third season) and several other original programs, so I'm glad it's sticking around on Xfinity/Comcast (and yes I'm old-fashioned and still subscribe to cable)!

18. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Yes, people still do. And I am quite satisfied with them. :D

MikaelaArsenault and Spitfire like this.
  19. For Internet it’s sadly my only choice for decent high-speed. I have the Peacock app on my Roku and watch it that way.

MikaelaArsenault and audiomixer like this.
  20. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

It's actually quite revolutionary.

Imagine having all of your streaming services conveniently available via a single hub interface, and you only pay one monthly bill for everything!

I think it's the future of streaming delivery.

audiomixer and jpelg like this.