Pearl Jam Ten era recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by K.K.VanMalmsteen, Jun 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McKigney

McKigney Forum Resident

I get where you're coming from but I wouldn't consider Leash to be Ten-era.

According to setlist.fm, Leash had its live debut on November 9, 1991. (Pearl Jam Setlist at Bender Arena, Washington) Ten had already been out for over two months. I think the fair assumption would be that Leash was conceived after Ten was released, or at the very least, the song wasn't finished until after. Which I think would technically make it Vs.-era.

By the same logic, Better Man would have to be Ten-era as well :D

K.K.VanMalmsteen likes this.
  2. CassetteDek

CassetteDek social distancing since 1979

Gotta say, in my estimation Ed has never been as melodic as he has been on their last 3 records. Not that they're similar to Ten, they're not.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    K.K.VanMalmsteen and CybrKhatru like this.
  3. Tom Hakala

Tom Hakala Forum Resident

Ten is one of my all time favourite albums. Easily in my top 3. Maybe even number one...
    I love the album as it but I maybe I'd change its weakest track "Deep" to either Breath or State Of Love And Trust.

K.K.VanMalmsteen and CassetteDek like this.
  4. CassetteDek

The version of Alone recorded during the Vs. sessions with Abruzzesse on drums is superior to the one from the Ten sessions. It's on the Go single. Amazing take, so much tension.

If anything that take of Alone should've made Vs. It's as good if not better than any of the album tracks there.

5. I do hear at least an attempt to move in that direction, particularly on the most recent. But then again, and especially on more rocking tunes, he seems to not be able to get as warm a tone. That may just be what it is after 30 years of hard touring.

Probably the bigger loss to their sound, in my opinion, has been Stone not writing in alternate tunings as much and Jeff becoming more of a conventional (boring) bassist. He simply did more interesting things on Ten. Some might have found that too fussy, artsy, or "prog." Not a view that I agree with.

K.K.VanMalmsteen likes this.
  6. Cimrya Deal

Cimrya Deal Forum Resident

Disagree all you what, but this album really sounds like it was recorded in 1989. All this reverb everywhere, these sterile guitar sounds... I mean, it's no wonder it's their only album they chose to remix later on (or even re-record, for the Even Flow single).

So you don't think Daughter, Elderly Woman..., Indifference (Vs), Nothingman, Better Man, Immortality (Vitalogy), Sometimes, Who You Are, Off He Goes (No Code), Given To Fly, Wishlist, All Those Yesterdays (Yield) are melodic enough??

7. Abbruzese was a better drummer than Krusen. And while a bit of a bigger, funkier sound, he was my favorite of their drummers. Jack Irons seemed to work hard to not play cliches, but I flat out didn't like a lot of his rhythms. This improved with Matt Cameron, but his groove isn't quite what Dave's was. Cameron seems to work better on the trickier, "proggier" type of cuts. He certainly fits Soundgarden when they do that type of stuff.

Even though I'm being a little critical here, I still like the band. They just haven't quite moved me in the way they originally did since those years.

8. I don't hear "80s" in the guitar sound from Ten. I do hear it on the drums, though.

The melodic songs you list here are each among my favorites from their respective albums. But the thing is that Ten was an entire album of that, even on the songs that rocked harder. They took a lot of their more rocking songs in an almost-punk direction later, and I just didn't find that very interesting at times.

I wish they would explore more the direction of "Oceans," "Garden," and "Release."

enro99 and K.K.VanMalmsteen like this.
  9. CassetteDek

I'm a fan of every record they've done, so naturally I could point to many, many examples of warm Eddie tone and alternate tunings throughout their discography. They have incorporated a lot of styles and approaches, all part of natural growth.

I'll grant you that Jeff took a step back, tone-wise, after Ten. I just always chalked it up to him wanting a really unique, aggressive, up front sound for his bass at first, before eventually realizing/remembering that serving the song matters more. That said, there are choice Jeff moments on most of their albums.

10. Cimrya Deal

I mostly agree with you: Abruzzese was definitely a better drummer than Krusen but he was not my favourite. Jack Irons is my favourite, I like his unconventionnal drumming. Cameron always seemed to me like he doesn't belong in PJ. He's definitely the Soundgarden drummer; in PJ it sounds like he tries to get rid of his quirks that made him the drummer he was in Soundgarden (don't know if I make sense)

11. CassetteDek

On they're punk influenced tunes, Matt ended up doing them all better. He's the kind of drummer who can play anything, but you can't always duplicate another drummer's feel. I think fans get hung up on that sometimes, which is fine. But for punk feel and stamina, he's unimpeachable. There's plenty else to love about his playing, that's just one thing I thought of.

12. Cimrya Deal

Oceans & Release are great songs (I'm not so much a fan of Garden!) but they already did them, so I guess there is no point for them to do some more. But I see your point. What I really liked about PJ was that every album was different from the last, like they are reinventing themselves (and that's why we all have different favourite albums!), but with Binaural, they started to repeat themselves.

13. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Though the Temple Of The Dog record was released before Ten the song Footsteps is older than that. It was part of the original Pearl Jam demo (the 'Mama San' trilogy) that Eddie made with the music of the rest, back when he was still just a kid in San Diego. Somewhere in time those two songs (Times Of Trouble and Footsteps) started to develop further in parallel. One reason of course being that Pearl Jam hadn't released anything yet so the music could be used for either project.

Soundslave and K.K.VanMalmsteen like this.
  14. McKigney

McKigney Forum Resident

Alone (from Go) is unreal. But what song from Vs. would you swap out? And don't you dare say W.M.A! The Vs. tracklist is near perfect.

15. CassetteDek

Oh, I agree. I wouldn't touch WMA, that song is great.

Glorified G or Rats are the weakest tracks to me, but I love them both, too. No idea how to change the tracklist, though.

16. Cimrya Deal

I'd drop Leash. Not a bad song but the rest of the album is top notch and this one is a bit generic. But going from this to Indifference is a great move! So.....

17. K.K.VanMalmsteen

K.K.VanMalmsteen These Go To Eleven Thread Starter

"Grunge" was just a marketing gimmick. Imagine thinking Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Soundgarden all had the same sound??

Transience and CassetteDek like this.
  18. CassetteDek

Ok I took the OP's bait, sort of. I added 5 extra essential tracks and shuffled the sequence.

why go
    state of love and trust
    oceans
    even flow
    alone
    breath
    black
    jeremy

deep
    wash
    alive
    once
    footsteps
    garden
    porch
    release

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Ten is one of those albums I would leave alone. I understand that some of the outtakes are great recordings, and might be good candidates to replace one or two of the alleged weaker songs on the original album, but the album is so good as it is, that it is hard to justify changing anything about it.

20. mr. faded glory

mr. faded glory Forum Resident

That's pretty solid sequencing man. I'd listen to that album.

CassetteDek and K.K.VanMalmsteen like this.
  21. McKigney

McKigney Forum Resident

Nooo! Leash is too good to drop! :mad:

22. Evenflow82!

Evenflow82! Forum Resident

Not sure if it has been mentioned but there is a cover of The Beatles 'I've Got a Feeling' the band recorded in 1991 and would get jammed out live in 1991 and 1992. It alludes to Andy Wood and the Singles movie.

If you believe in including a studio cover to expand the album that could be added.

23. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Yeah, it was already included as a bonus track at the end of the "Ten" Japanese CD release:
    Pearl Jam – Ten (1991, CD)

24. mr. faded glory

mr. faded glory Forum Resident

Picked this up on record store day drop 2. I didn't have high expectations for it really as far as it getting many spins. I guess I could be called a PJ completest as futile of a pursuit as that is. Anyway I really like it. Not my favorite version of wash, but still good. I've Got A Feeling is a time warp. And it all sounds fantastic to me. Anyone else digging it?[​IMG]

25. CassetteDek

@mr. faded glory Nice!

I wanted one, didn't do RSD.

Still have my CD single, minus I've Got a Feeling.

If it's the same as the original single, that IS my favorite version of Wash....

mr. faded glory likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.