Pee Wee's Playhouse marathon on IFC Thanksgiving 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stuwee, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had forgotten what a great show this was, lot's of fun for kids and adults. Check it out folks!!

Ghostworld, EVOLVIST, Paul J and 2 others like this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ice Cream Soup for everyone! What a great, imaginative, purely crazy show this was. :)

I used to love The King Of Cartoons segment because they'd always show such weird, old cartoons that I'd never seen anywhere else before.

Paul J and stuwee like this.
  3. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Why don’t you marry it?

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I totally walked right into that, didn't I? :)

t-man 54 and Paul J like this.
  5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If you guys like Pee-Wee's Playhouse check out the precursor HBO special "The Pee-Wee Herman Show". It's available on DVD and it's really funny. Phil Hartman is in it.

Also, anyone remember the "Penny" cartoon claymation shorts? Those were really wild!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. What I love about Pee Wee's Playhouse is that it was so subversive. It was full of innuendo, both homo and heterosexual, yet to the child there was no way they could have picked up on. It's humor was often dark, but to a child it was all lighthearted. That's masterful!

I'm not saying that every tiny bit of every episode holds some hidden meaning; yet, the depth is certainly there on simultaneous levels.

Pee Wee's Playhouse wasn't the first of it's kind, see Sid and Marty Kroftt, though I think that Paul Herman and writers perfected it. This is why nearly everyone, of all ages, can get something from the show, even if it's on a subconscious level.

In sum: Pee Wee's Playhouse isn't merely a slight offering. It's one of the greatest shows every created.

Ghostworld and jpelg like this.
  7. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

I’d say this is a big reason why I continue to follow animated children’s programs to this day (at least the ones for older kids, 8-12ish). The folks writing those shows tend to be a bit more interesting and creative than those writing similarly lighthearted programming for adults (like sitcoms), and in the best shows they tend to just throw in whatever they think is funny in hopes that some of it translates to the intended young target audience rather than writing down in at attempt to pander to them. Pee Wee had a big part in creating a creator-driven atmosphere in programming for that demographic, as well as The Simpsons, Ren & Stimpy, and Animaniacs in moving American animated shows past the 80s glut of toy commericals.

8. Taxee

Taxee Forum Resident

Miss Yvonne: I don’t have anywhere to sit.

Chairy: You can sit here Miss Yvonne.

Miss Yvonne: Oh Chairy I can’t think of anyone else I’d rather sit on.

EVOLVIST and audiomixer like this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Genius. Love the way it evolved from the skits into a more childish vanilla but refused to not be silly and boundary pushing.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.