Peggy Lee On Record (1941-1995)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ridin'High, Dec 29, 2016.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Most likely also PD. :)

Ridin'High and .crystalised. like this.
  2. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

The Collectors' Choice edition with expanded tracks? You're hearing some alternate takes in the original programming. Worth your while to hunt down an original pressing. It was only issued in mono, and the sound is glorious and clear as a bell. Also, what a cute cover with that smile.

Ridin'High and CBackley like this.
  3. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Yep, that’s the one. Does the mono pressing have the original takes? (I’m not sure at what stage the alternates were introduced.)

bluemooze and .crystalised. like this.
  4. .crystalised.

Also, that was fast shipping if you ordered them from eBay only last week. Nice.

CBackley likes this.
  5. .crystalised.

The LP uses the correct takes. The alternates are only used for this CCM CD. Also, it's fun to have a newly remixed stereo version of "Fever" but it doesn't sound near as good as the mono. Too much reverb and not enough bite.

6. CBackley

Do you know whether the 80’s reissue LP from Pathé Marconi is stereo or mono?

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

The labels say stereo; the sleeve says mono. I don't own a copy.

8. .crystalised.

Probably mono, but I don't own a copy. Should be the same masters as the original LP.

9. CBackley

Sounds like I’ll need to buy a copy to find out! :)

(Eventually...eventually...)

.crystalised. likes this.
  10. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Here is another worthwhile item to add to this discussion -- this PD but very fine set:

[​IMG]

It includes the original takes of both "Sweetheart" and "Light of Love." I know from a previous post that CBackley was considering to order it. If you did, then you already have both the masters and alternates of both songs! (For anyone else who might be interested, I should clarify that the vocal differences between the two sets of takes are minimal. If you are not a huge fan or a dedicated collector, you will be all set owning just one, um, set.)

When Boy George first met a 60+-years-old Peggy Lee (back in the 1980s), he took just one look at her wig & wardrobe, and blurted out, "you win the biscuit of the day!" She was totally thrilled by that.

.Crystalised., you might be alone (so far) in your preference of "Light of Love" over "Sweetheart," but, with that final sentence of yours above, you win the biscuit of the thread!
    :D

[​IMG]

.crystalised. and CBackley like this.
  11. CBackley

Yep, that Ridin’ High set is on its way!

Ridin'High and .crystalised. like this.
  12. Ridin'High

[​IMG]

Here is one with artwork that might displease you a little bit less, .crystalised.:

[​IMG]

It's a reshuffling of All Aglow Again.

Then there is this one:

[​IMG]

Sea Shells.

[​IMG]

That one above is another reshuffling of The Man I Love.

[​IMG]

A compilation.

I could go on. (I picked just the ones with animal drawings.)

There are other ways in which that Qobuz site leaves something to be desired. Things Are Swingin' is categorized as a "humor/spoken word" album, Christmas with Peggy Lee as "ambient/New Age," Black Coffee as "miscellaneous," If You Go as lounge, a compilation titled The Best Hits as blues ... I did not bother to check the albums by any other artists, but it's safe to assume that the same situation applies to their catalogues, too.

bluemooze, CBackley and .crystalised. like this.
  13. Ridin'High

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hopefully, we will get into a more detailed discussion of All Aglow Again later on, as part of our chronological presentation of Peggy's LPs. For the time being, it's important to point that, despite appearances, this is actually an anthology.

Although Capitol put it together during the earlier part of its stereo era (1960), nearly half of the included masters date from the 1940s or the early 1950s, when the label was working with mono only.

All the tracks on the LP are in mono, independently of whether they are from the pre-stereo or the stereo era. And only the mono LP was issued (no stereo counterpart).

Interesting. I don't have it either, and had not picked up on the fact.

[​IMG][​IMG]

In agreement. To my knowledge, there were no electronically processed "stereo" versions, either. Hence all vinyl reissues, including this one, should be in mono, too.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    .crystalised. and CBackley like this.
  14. CBackley

Very interesting! Too bad they went for stereo on the Collectors Choice reissue (at least “Fever”...I wasn’t listening closely).

Ridin'High likes this.
  15. .crystalised.

Whenever I hear "Sweetheart" I think of:
    [​IMG]
    Anyone? No?
    Gosh and golly gee, I completely forgot about this set. And shame on me, for two reasons: a) I own this set and b) I had provided a very enthusiastic Amazon review as to its contents after my happy purchase years ago. Whoops!

:cheers:
    Bear in my that my appreciation for "Light of Love" is largely due to its knee-slapping arrangement and the way Peggy sings the number. I've never really compared the lyrical qualities of the two compositions to determine if the lyrics of "Sweetheart" are of a higher quality or consequence. I just love the gospel-inspired chorus and prominent rhythm section of "Light of Love" (perhaps due to my appreciation for the Nashville Sound). I wish Peggy had cut more upbeat gospel-tinged numbers. (That said, I'm surprisingly NOT fond of "Hallelujah, I Love Him So". It sounds more like "Alright, Okay, You Win" than it does something gospel inspired, at least to me).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Ridin'High likes this.
  16. .crystalised.

Also, in my mind's eye, this is how I picture the organist rocking out at that session:
    [​IMG]
    :laugh:

I'll stop teasing "Sweetheart" now. :shh:

CBackley and Ridin'High like this.
  17. .crystalised.

It bears no relation to @Ridin'High, though ;)

CBackley and Ridin'High like this.
  18. .crystalised.

Indeed. I'm less displeased, and note the look of approval on Sully's face:

[​IMG]

I also admire the figure's wardrobe and the era from which the sketch is inspired. The other covers though, not so much. Sully agrees (and those which depict felines are drawing his attention in a negative way).

Alright, I'll allow a description of 'lounge' for If You Go, but that's where I draw the line. The other categories bear a striking resemblance to the title of one of Peggy's Decca recordings: "Wrong, Wrong, Wrong". Or as a certain figurehead might say, "fake news". That said, I'm actually kind of tickled by the irony of the 'miscellaneous' designation for Black Coffee - that album really is one of a kind and cannot be easily categorized. So I guess that's apt, after all.

As a side note, I shall exercise diplomacy when we get to the point of reviewing If You Go. 'Tis not one of my favourites, to say the least.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Ridin'High likes this.
  19. CBackley

My copy of Classics & Collectibles arrived from eBay. I bought it blind without knowing about the two missing tracks on some editions. Luckily, my copy has all 52 songs. Excellent!

Also, I’m way more excited than any 40-year-old guy should be about getting all these Lady and the Tramp songs. Seriously pumped about this.

20. .crystalised.

And some of those tracks didn't even make it into the final print of the film, so your enthusiasm is not misplaced :)

21. CBackley

I know! I can’t even tell you how excited I am to hear those “new” treasures.

I also ordered a NM+ Ace of Hearts pressing of Peggy’s Songs from Lady and the Tramp LP. It was, like, for my daughter or something...yeah....

22. .crystalised.

23. .crystalised.

"Old Trusty" is probably my favourite of the Tramp tracks. It didn't make it into the film because Peggy convinced Walt Disney to spare Trusty's life after the carriage accident. I applaud the decision because hounds are the best :pleased:

Ridin'High, bluemooze and CBackley like this.
  24. CBackley

Yes! I was mortified when I first saw it and thought Trusty had been offed.

25. CBackley

As a pasty Midwesterner of Scandinavian descent, I just want to publicly admire this fine piece of understatement in the liner notes for the Peggy Lee - Benny Goodman 2-CD Columbia Legacy set. When discussing “Why Don't You Do Right?” the booklet states “While Lee employs blues inflections that are not necessarily part of the Scandinavian-American experience...” Classic. I love it.