"Peloton Wife" returns in new TV commercial....courtesy of Ryan Reynolds

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

:thumbsup:
    I'll get back to you.

2. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Then you have no excuses for your comments.

3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It’s tough to find.

4. NettleBed

Try Botanist

5. audiomixer

I have just as much right as you do.
    I do tire of sanctimonious chatter. :blah:

6. NettleBed

Not talking about your right to comment, but the absurd content.

7. audiomixer

I advice you to reread your own post, sir.

8. NettleBed

Yes, especially when you get beaten, right?

9. NettleBed

Yes, especially when you get beaten, right?

You might just want a do-over here.

10. audiomixer

Beaten by whom? Opinions on an internet thread?!? Grow up!

GodShifter and Balthazar like this.
  11. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

This entire thing is just proof that there is no such thing as bad advertising.

Matthew Tate and audiomixer like this.
  12. I am with you.
    Why jump immediately to negative possibilities? Why start a campaign forcing those negativities on everyone, while trying hard to ruin those involved with the commercial?
    In the commercial he looks happy, she looks happy, the results seem favorable, even if they include hard work to get there.
    Nothing about the commercial jumps out at me screaming negative, outrage, or any other poor thing...Yet here we are, with far too much proof that far too many are searching for something negative to hoist up their personal flag pole and use to further their cause...whatever that negative cause may be, for I can't figure it out.

I have found a positive for this commercial though.
    I have scrutinized it with my daughter (16) and asked her to find the negatives in the ad.
    She is hard pressed to find any proof of negativity, while at the same time learning to understand that others are simply bent on finding negative in everything.

Balthazar likes this.
  13. Apparently so. The fact your wife purchased a piece of exercise equipment means she is forceably telling you to get in shape while at the same time objectifying your persona as only worthy if favorable to look upon. She has also emasculated you by the fact she purchased the item rather than you doing the purchasing...meaning you are not a worthy wage earner and thus a lesser man.

Now, for troglodites like myself, I would simply be thankful for the thought of the gift and the fact she is paying attention enough to know something I may actually enjoy.
    But I guess this does not fit well with the Kardashian way of living a life...Fake drama, fake concern...fake...well...everything I guess rules to roots at the moment.

Too bad because finding 100 positives for the Peloton gift is easy to do, but not what people seem to gravitate towards doing.

GodShifter, Balthazar and mmars982 like this.
  14. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Never been into Gin but my brother said to try Plymouth Gin if you’re so inclined.

He also said there is nothing worse than a Gin hangover.

15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Dude has obviously has never been to Kansas.

cleandan likes this.
  16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO could imagine!"

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It’s the juniper that gets me; the less presence of that, the better.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sure, there is. We won't know in the long run if this ad hurt Peloton, but it could ding the brand - maybe people won't want to ride bikes associated with that commercial! :)

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

If nothing else, good or bad, more people know about Peloton than ever before after this ridiculousness. The add might have been off, but the awareness and hype is top notch right now.

So nobody remembers the commercial from last Christmas where the husband has bought the wife a Peloton as a gift and hid it in the guest house so it would be a surprise? She finds it and starts working out on it in covert fashion; carefully replacing the gift tag and what not. She loves it! By the time of X-Mas morning she has to act surprised she got a Peloton!! OMG! She ain’t mad!

Why is this present commercial so different? Primarily because of the reticence and doubt on the face of the wife (actress) who receives it. Still, we can assume she asked for it, but was dubious of what the process would be and if it would be worth their investment.

Ultimately, it turned out to be a great thing for her and, in turn, her generous husband (these things ain’t cheap as I pointed out above).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    MoonPool and Balthazar like this.
  20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I know nothing about cycling at all but first heard of the Peloton a few months ago from a friend who’s hardcore into cycling and mountain biking. He said the big appeal of the Peloton is that you can pay $20/month membership fee that lets you take part in the interactive spin classes with a live instructor. Basically the high cost of it is in leu of spending $30 per session for in-person classes.

21. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

A few minor points in a minor uproar...

-it’s more than possible that an undercover Peleton exec started the whole “controversy.” They've gotten millions of dollars of free publicity (note the comments here from those who never previously heard of Peleton). The company is in a precarious position. They have (had) an interesting marketing niche, but they have nothing proprietary that can’t be copied by competitors who won't be charging the premium price. Their stock is close to its 52 week high at $32 but an analyst this week said its proper value should be closer to $5. So the controversy, at the peak of the selling season, comes at a very good time.

-when has anyone seen a fitness commercial that didn’t feature superbly conditioned actors & actresses? There’s one running for “The Mirror” that seems to be populated by a superior species.

-the Peleton commercial actress came across very well on the Today Show this week. She blamed the whole thing on how her eyebrow gestures made her look scared and it was opined that no one in Hollywood is capable of moving their eyebrows anymore (Botox) and this created the false impressions. (She also had to cut the interview short to get to her kid’s Christmas pageant - which would have caused the interviewer to raise an eyebrow, except she couldn’t.)

GodShifter and Balthazar like this.
  22. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Want to bet an internet dollar?

23. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Right. All you have to do is look at her and you can tell that she is in tip top muscular and cardio vascular shape.
    So not only do the detractors of the ad know the husband's intentions thru mind reading, they also know all of her physical capabilities and physical changes from using the bike simply by observing her for half a minute. For instance, no way she can be a diabetic and the bike would be useful to lower her blood sugar. Someone that looks like her can't be. Also, it would be silly to think that after riding for a year that she accomplished anything other than being mentioned by a trainer. Just because you ride a bike for a year even if you never did before, does not mean you have "accomplished" anything as far as physical changes go. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    MoonPool and Balthazar like this.
  24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Come now. He is only "reading exactly what's there".
    1. The husband gave her the bike because he thinks she is fat. You can tell just by what is presented in the ad. Sexist!
    2. There is no reason why he gave her the bike either explicitly or implied other than to shame her. I mean after all no one ever gives anyone a gift for Christmas thinking they simply might enjoy it and would like to surprise them.
    I think I better not give my wife a surprise set of soap bars for Christmas that I bought the other day. "Are you suggesting I smell?"
    3. She clearly did not need to exercise. That is evident by observing her for the five seconds before she starts using the bike. She probably can already bike the Tour De France.
    4. She gained nothing but faint praise from one of the trainers after riding the bike for a year. "Gee Doc, we both know exercise does not provide any physical benefits."
    5. She clearly did not lose any weight from using the bike for a year even though her weight is never mentioned nor I can't recall seeing her step on a scale. We can tell by observing her for five seconds after the year is up.

You have to understand, all of the above is there to "read" in the ad. You just have to graced with superior observational abilities to see them. Sherlock Holmes would be proud. :D

MoonPool, Matthew Tate and Balthazar like this.
  25. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I see what you did there.

I realize that these things (i.e. social media outrage which seems so characteristic of daily life now-a-days) typically don't have much of a lifespan and will probably fade away and disappear soon (and onto the next 'outrage'), and that it only takes a relatively few people initially to start the uproar, and much of that uproar is really just an echo chamber which artificially magnifies the outrage - but for someone like me who doesn't participate on tweeter or facebook and purposely tries to avoid paying attention to these types of things, I've been inundated by reports of the 'outrage' over the Peloton commerical for the past several days from almost every possible source imaginable - including sports shows I watch for the hockey news. I didn't bother to see the commercial until this morning when I read this thread and was impressed with the humour of the gin commercial in response to the whole thing that I thought I'd see what all the fuss was all about. (I don't understand why the people who were upset with the exercise bike commercial didn't laugh at it rather than growl.) Add to all that the $1 billion in stock losses which financial experts are stating are a direct result of the bad PR the commercial generated ... so, I think you're wrong and there really was much outrage.

But back to my original point - I thought that gin commercial was well done and pretty funny and clever. It gently and stylishly pokes fun at the whole controversy.

Rose River Bear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.