Penny Dreadful - City of Angels

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just saw an ad for this and wanted to share! Showtime's going for round 2. Apparently will be set in 1938 and involve mexican-centric Santeria so it may be Penny Dreadful in name only, unless a certain black-haired witch decides to show up! I always enjoyed PD's twisted take on the Universal monsters, Frankenstein, Dracula, and the Wolf Man. I guess, in theory, the whole gang MIGHT still be around but.... I'm real curious as to where they intend to go with it this time! Bring it!;)

alexpop and ceddy10165 like this.
  2. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I loved the original 3 seasons. Curious how this relates to the original characters, or if it’s like True Detective.

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just read a little about this. I loved the 3 season Showtime series and wish it had gone on a bit more.

Penny Dreadful Sequel Series, City of Angels, Announced - IGN

I'll give the new one a chance, but the bit about it having a "social consciousness" has me less than enthused. I'm about worn out on attempts to infuse current politics into everything.

4. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I think that is a main reason why it was so good - didn't drag, that and Eva Green.

Stuevts, Andy Saunders and Alan G. like this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

EXCITED!!!!!

BEST cable horror series ever. Ooh la la Eva Green! :love::love:

alexpop likes this.
  6. agentalbert

Natalie Dormer has been cast in this show.

Natalie Dormer Joins ‘Penny Dreadful: City of Angels’ at Showtime

Dormer will play Magda, a supernatural demon who can take the appearance of anyone she chooses and manifests in a number of guises throughout the story. Described as charismatic, clever and chameleon-like, Magda is a dangerous enemy and an invaluable ally.

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Eva Green gave the original series class. If she’s not involved, could be a case of spent a penny and only ... :D

Ghostworld likes this.
  8. The problem was that Eva Green wanted to move on from the orig8nal series and Showrime wanted to wrap it up.

9. agentalbert

Anyone hear anything about this recently? IMDB shows a release date of 2019, but not specific date scheduled for the first episode to air, that I can find.

10. agentalbert

Teaser trailer out now.

alexpop likes this.
  11. agentalbert

Full trailer showing a lot more. Series starts April 26th.

Anyone know who is playing the creepy blonde?

alexpop likes this.
  12. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

Lorenza Izzo according to IMDB, as a big fan of the first three series I’m not sure how this is going to play out. The darkness of Victorian London was ideally suited to the first three series, it added greatly to the atmosphere, the bright sunshine of California less so IMHO.

13. agentalbert

Ah, thanks. I didn't recognize her without her normal dark hair.

14. Chazro

If the general 'idea' is to, in general, replace Eva Greene with Natalie Dormer, that's strike 1&2 before the show has even aired! I'm a fan of Dormer but.....3 strikes and yr out!;)

John Moschella likes this.
  15. Chazro

Saw the 1st episode and enjoyed it BUT....as was discussed upthread, this is Penny Dreadful in name only! Being Latino, Im totally 'in tune' with the heavy Hispanic aspects of the story but I'm not sure if its going to be seen as favorably by the general 'gringo's that'll be tuning in!;) The cast puzzles me somewhat. The non-latino parts have all been superbly cast with a few very familiar veterans but I'll admit to not knowing a single one of the Latino actors which I find odd. Lastly, there's the lovely Miss Dormer. Im a fan BUT....she's a better actor than this. The writing didn't do her any favors, at times she comes off like a villain in some old superhero movie! That said, I think she could absolutely be a worthy successor to Eva Green, she's got the looks and the acting chops. Hopefully she gets more from the writers to work with. I may be totally wrong, but my gut's telling me this 1st episode isn't going to be recieved too warmly by old skool PD fans!;)

16. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Sounds like a case for Jake Axminster.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Second trailer better soundtrack.
    Dormer.. just ain’t sexy enough.

18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

It's out already before the premiere?

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I didn't watch anything of the Eva Green material but I'm watching this for Natalie Dormer and Nathan Lane.

jpelg and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm enjoying it. Not heavy. . . entertaining.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. agentalbert

I don't know the main guy playing Tiago, but I do recognize his older brother as he was one of the main cast of CSI: Miami for that whole series. Never thought much of him as an actor, he was just there to be eye candy for the ladies. Does Lorenza Izzo (playing Santa Muerte) count as Latino? She's from Chile, I believe. I know her from Eli Roth movies and the recent Tarrantino flick Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. She's barely been in the show, though.

I agree on Natalie Dormer. I thought she was fantastic on The Tudors and Game Of Thrones. She really stood out in those shows, but if didn't already have some respect for her, this show wouldn't get her any. She's playing all these different characters, yet the demon? is the only one she seems the least bit natural in. Her German accent sounds like a parody.

The pilot did nothing for me. Episode 2 had me perk up a bit with the appearance of Kerry Bishé (Sister Molly), as I am a big fan of hers. But through three episodes, she's really the only thing I like so far. I find myself watching the clock a lot, which is never good. Amy Madigan seems like she's playing the same type of role she did on HBO's Carnivàle. The councilman's "secret" was 100% predictable and no revelation at all.

Here's your "general gringo" take: ;)

The racial aspect is really heavy handed and has had me rolling my eyes, particularly in the pilot. Nazis spouting the "America First" slogan? Come on. Not that I have any doubt Hispanics dealt with racism of this type back then, it just seems like its such a focus of this show, as opposed to the classic monsters (vampires, Frankenstein, witches, Dorian Gray) from the first Penny Dreadful. I thought the change of setting and time period for this new Penny Dreadful was a good idea, but expected the supernatural to still be the primary focus of the show. Surely Mexican/Latino folklore is ripe with monsters and beings that could part of this world. The racial strife just isn't what I was expecting this show to focus on. Even if its Natalie Dormer's demon character manipulating everyone to bring about the problem, this show seems to be going with "the monsters are us" premise.

I might try a few more, but my enthusiasm for this series has really waned.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  22. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I absolutely loved the original but I can’t seem to find any enthusiasm to watch this.

23. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I can only watch this before 9pm. Otherwise, it puts me to sleep.

24. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Nathan Lane is a gas in this.:)

MikaelaArsenault and jpelg like this.