Penny Dreadful - City of Angels

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think that by simply hiring Eva Green to play opposite Natalie Dormer would've COMPLETELY turned this season into a success on every level!!

ronbow and alexpop like this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I imagine the producers approached Eva Green for this series. How could they not? Maybe she didn't want to do it. You'd have to substantially increase the amount of screen time given to the Santa Muerte character (at least so far) if you bothered to have Eva Green in that role. Maybe it would have been interesting to have that character also taking the guise of various humans to combat the strife?

So that was Piper Perabo playing the wife of the Rory Kinnear character? I didn't even recognize her.

3. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I've given up on this show. It tries to be too many things to too many viewers
    and ultimately fails, imo. Dig Nathan and Natalie, though....

Andy Saunders likes this.
  4. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I'm enjoying the show. This is a fascinating period of Los Angeles history and I like the alternate take on it. Los Angeles has a lot of historic building and I always like seeing them. And visiting and eating at them back in the day. Too bad they couldn't save the Ambassador it would have been great for a show like this. I went to an EST class there once.

[​IMG]

forthlin and Vidiot like this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The Season 1 finale is tonight! Will anyone be watching?

6. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I have come to really like this season. I enjoy the multiple, interconnected storylines. Really good performances from everyone too.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Midway through episode 4. Enjoying it more than I thought I would. This cast had a hard act to follow.
    Highlight so far has been the dance scene in the 3rd episode. Those cats can move!

8. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

Wanted to like it but it plodded along and went virtually nowhere. I kept thinking "it will pick up in the penultimate and the finale" then it just ended. A season 2 to take it somewhere would be nice but I don't that it deserves it. Also, it didn't need "Penny Dreadful" attached to it.

9. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

As I posted previously, I came to really enjoy each episode this season, up to & including the penultimate ep which was terrific. But there were too many threads to tie up in the finale, which seemed too quick &, in regard to some plot points, predictable & ultimately unsatisfying.

I believe the finale was the first time we see two of Magda's (Dormer) alter-egos, Elsa & Rio, in the same scene & shot. I also didn't think Magda could directly kill a human person, rather than influencing/directing people to do her actual bidding, such as in the knifing of Fly Rico in the alley (otherwise why does she need to take on the personas in the first place?)

Still, some great performances, & cinematography, imo.

My thought is that a second season for "City of Angels" should take place decades later (post WWII) to see Tiago (& the city of LA) in his later years.

10. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

Binged watched the whole series over the weekend, oh dear :cry: we’ve gone from a dark and atmospheric supernatural fantasy series unlike any other straight into a show riddled with the modern tropes of politics and racial issues :sigh: as well what appeared to be something akin to a dance film at some points :sigh:

11. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

After reading through this thread, I think I'll re-watch the original.

12. MikaelaArsenault

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I wanted to like the show, but my biggest beef is they didn't resolve a lot of the plot issues: the epic battle between good and evil, what's going to happen with the Nazi doctor, what happens with the religious Mexican maid, what the story is on the strange blonde German woman (with the Bad Seed son), and so on. They did wrap up a few storylines, but a lot of the last few episodes felt padded to me. I also felt like they tiptoed up to a certain point with the horror and then stopped, which felt like a letdown.

I did think Nathan Lane was a standout and he did a remarkable job, and the late-1930s sets and cars and so on were spectacular. Funny side-story: about 8-9 months ago, I was driving down June Street in Hancock Park on my way into work, and much to my surprise there were about two dozen 1930s and 1940s cars parked on either side of the street. You don't see those every day. The million-dollar houses in this upscale neighborhood are all from the 1920s & 1930S, and a lot of it has been preserved just the way it was decades ago. A bunch of film trucks were wrapping up work JUST as I drove by, and I realized months later this was one of the locations from City of Angels. Showtime spent a ton of money on this show.

jpelg and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I’m trying really hard to make it through the season, but it’s not resonating with me at all.

15. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

I'm halfway through the series and am enjoying it very much and I think Nathan Lane and Natalie Dormer are are standouts. Don't get the criticism that it's not like the previous Penny Dreadful series (which I also enjoyed), and I just take it as an unrelated story under the same banner.

Hope it leads to other stories in the future.

jpelg and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Finished watching it all yesterday. I have no complaints. Great that it wasn’t wrapped up. Plenty of scope for a follow-up series.
    Wouldn’t want it to be too much later as I’d like to see more of Nathan Lane’s character.

17. MikaelaArsenault

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

This !!!!

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

20. MikaelaArsenault

I read that the reviews were good too when it first premiered.

alexpop likes this.
  21. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

While I ultimately enjoyed the ride through season one, For me the show’s identity often vacillated too wildly in tone. It could effectively be a serious drama and just as quickly turn into pulp fiction, and not in a good way, some of the dialog was painful at times.

Unlike others, I had no issue with its’ falling under the Penny Dreadful banner, and never expected it to be just another version of the first series. The dark side of Los Angeles’ politics and racial issues were well worth exploring in detail, and Showtime should be applauded for going there. I landed in L.A. in late 1991 unaware of these aspects of L.A. history, and just in time for living through the riots; I received a very quick education back then.

There were some excellent performances and some mediocre ones, but all in all it was a fine ensemble. I think Natalie Dormer did a great job at inhabiting four distinct characters and look forward to her future projects. Nathan Lane was outstanding as always, and I hope he does more dramatic roles down the line.

And a big round of applause for the show’s Production Design by Maria Caso. Just as with HBO’s Deadwood, she created a remarkable, detailed and textured world from the past. It’s been fascinating to watch Perry Mason and see how that series has handled recreating 1930’s L.A. and the environs of the same radio evangelist and her mother based on Aimee Semple McPherson. I think both shows have done an outstanding job. Having been part of this past year’s other period drama of that era, HBO’s The Plot Against America, I know how difficult it is to build these worlds of the past on the schedule of a weekly series. These two 1930’s dramas really knocked it out of the park, and deserve recognition for their great achievements.

smilin ed and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  22. MikaelaArsenault

It’s interesting that they’re really not saying anything else except the fact that Showtime decided not to move forward with a second season.

Could it be ratings perhaps?

alexpop likes this.
  23. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

It’s Covid-19. It’s killed a lot of other productions too.

24. MikaelaArsenault

I'm not surprised.

alexpop likes this.
  25. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Ratings, reviews, and being a very, very expensive show. It just didn't take off as hoped, and couldn't justify the cost. Nothing to do with Covid-19.