Penny Dreadful - City of Angels

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Nov 1, 2018.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

It's too bad though, because it looks like that the show had a lot of potential.

alexpop likes this.
  2. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

It started off well, but seemed to be a bit dull and drag as it went on. I could see the racial relations/street violence thing coming from the first episode, so that didn't bother me at all, just their execution of it just seemed pretty pedestrian.

3. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Thanks for the post about The Gilded Age. I watch so little of present TV now; so much of it is violent or dark/disturbing/twisted w/too much of it graphic (watching DVDs of earlier 2000s or late '90s shows I enjoyed) that I'm not seeing adverts for what's coming up. I mightn't have caught this & while IDK that the content will hold my interest, it does look to have quite an exceptional cast, so I'll at least give it a go! :):tiphat:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

You're welcome.

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Better than I thought.
    Seems a bigger budget than the earlier Penny Dreadful.

6. alexpop

Reminds me of Spielberg’s West Side Story. .. well Latina dancing. :)

7. alexpop

Interesting plot ..late 1930s l.a. racial element, cop story + the nazis, supernatural good vs evil .. big budget. I liked Natalie Dormer and Rory Kinnear.

8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I loved this and was gutted it didn't continue.

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

We're late to this series (found it in the city library). Three episodes in and it's...not bad. We are confused by Rory Kinnear's character. Is he supposed to be the son of the monster from the earlier series?

10. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

No, there is no connection. Understandable confusion, though.

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Now that is dumb.

12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

No, just like a lot of great auteurs, John Logan is using a member of his former cast in a new way.

SRC likes this.
  13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Much as I like Rory Kinnear (and his father!), it's ridiculous. Imagine a new series of Peaky Blinders, set 50 years later, where Paul Anderson (Arthur) reappears as a teacher. Imagine a new series of Breaking Bad where Aaron Paul returns, playing a judge. Absurd.

14. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Depends upon genre and the contract with the viewer/viewer's mode of 'reading'.

Look at American Horror Story, Outlander, Twin Peaks, etc.

Not written in defense of City of Angels - haven't seen it, having watched the trailer - just pointing out the convention within the medium.

Curveboy likes this.
  15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I mean, as @raye_penber mentioned look at American Horror Story; all takes place in the same universe and you have the same actors playing different parts. Or the work of Scorsese and Tarantino. It's Hollywood tradition for people to have muses and use them repeatedly.

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

OK in a series where multiple actors return within a series of sketches/plays to play different roles. I first saw that technique on the BBC in the late 60s/early 70s with The Sextet (with Billie Whitelaw, Denholm Elliot, Denis Waterman,...). Of course, many film directors have returned to their favourite/fetish actors through successive films.
    All of which has nothing whatsoever to do with the ludicrous idea of bringing ONE actor back to the subsequent series of the same name, in a completely different role. Uniquely ridiculous.

17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Maybe the show isn’t for you. Seems to be quite upsetting for you. Almost as upsetting as Prince reissue pricing. :D

Curveboy likes this.
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Not upsetting at all, just very disappointing after the brilliant original series.

Not a problem, I bought them all when they were first released.

19. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I don't want to spill the unpublicized tea but having worked with some of the companies involved, I think the problem here (that at least you have, if not others) is not that they cast the same actor in a different role. The problem (if any) is that they called it Penny Dreadful at all - my double secret info is that this was done more for tax reasons than anything else. It was simply cheaper to have it be considered a "returning" series production than a new one. So if anyone has ever wondered why the two series have the same name despite taking place decades and thousands of miles apart, with no character connection, now you know why. Same creator, same dark tone perhaps, but really, as Wikipedia will tell you, "Penny dreadfuls were cheap popular serial literature produced during the 19th century in the United Kingdom." Which is why it is a perfectly fitting name for a series that took place....during the 19th century in the United Kingdom, but has nothing to do a series about Los Angeles in the 1930's.

I'm not knocking the show whatsoever. Just explaining what I understand, about why it was called that.

Curveboy and Purple Jim like this.
  20. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wouldn't care if they changed the whole thing, if it was a good story. This one suffered in comparison to the original series. Reminds me of HBO's True Detective, another show that had a terrific 1st season, but what came afterward was disappointing.

21. noname74

That’s because Alexandra Daddario wasn’t in the following seasons. :wiggle:

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, PD: COA was a big dud. I was fully prepared for it being a completely different story and setting that the first series. That wasn't an issue at all for me. It just wasn't a compelling show.

23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Interesting...thanks for that info.

At the time I took it for what it appeared to be; John Logan wanting to tell different "penny dreadful" type stores.

SRC likes this.
  24. alexpop

Eve Green is exceptional in Penny Dredful.

Curveboy likes this.
  25. noname74

She’s usually exceptional in everything.