Stephen King's 'IT' (2017 film - aka It: Chapter One)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Texastoyz, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think the right way to do It justice would be a 3 part HBO mini-series with each part being about 2 hours long.

Silken and Grunge Master like this.
  2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Agreed. This can't work as a single 2-hour film, and present 1/100th of the impact of the book - I don't care who writes or directs. I just don't think it's physically possible to do a movie and not have it just be a pale shadow of the book's drama.

As a matter of fact, there's enough material to make this a full season HBO or Netflix special. I really wish they had gone that route.

3. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I watched the mini-series with my 14 year old last year (when he was 13). I thought that he would like the story, but wanted to avoid the sex stuff in it, and I didn't think that it would hold his attention for 1100 pages (at times I skimmed through bits). It wasn't all that great, we laughed at some parts, but Tim Curry did a great job. After all, special effects on TV weren't the greatest back then, so it's hard to make Pennywise coming out of a drain look realistic.

4. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

Apparently, the movie is only going to focus on the story as children (set in the 1980's). If it does well, there will be a sequel with the cast as adults.

5. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Thanks, I didn't realize that. I hope if it does go this route that the kids are still included thoughout the sequel as flashbacks because the adult storyline is so much weaker than the kids storyline. My opinion, of course.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I did like the moving photograph. So simple, but it always works.

7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

That was probably the best instance of "creepy" in the entire thing. I loved that part.

8. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I loved reading Stephen King. Not so much after Cujo, but still. I just checked and probably have 15 or more adaptations of his work in my DVD collection. I wouldn't consider them fine art, but they're good to watch. To date, I think Stand By Me is the only adaptation that managed to really capture the spirit of his written work. Kubrick's version of The Shining is a fine effort in its own right, but it's not even the real story, which Kubrick himself has called rather mediocre. I think there's something about the feel of King's work that just doesn't translate easily.

Polanski did a fine job with Rosemary's Baby. Gilliam's adaptation of Fear & Loathing was superb. They were faithful to the written work. Somehow, since Kubrick's The Shining came out, filmmakers got the idea that it was okay to change stories around however they liked when making films, and that's probably going to happen again here. Maybe in another 20 years or so, there'll be a realization that people loved these books for a reason, and then they'll be given proper treatment. They aren't just a jumping off point for somebody else's ideas, and I'm willing to bet that's what's going to happen again, here. I would love for that not to be the case, but I'm going into it expecting flashy visuals and tolerable story.

9. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Kubrick took King's novel and made a movie out of it. I think "IT" really needs the Kubrick treatment, but I don't see any filmmakers up for the job.

Khaki F likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There are aspects of the novel that I think no studio will tackle. (And readers of the novel know what I'm talking about.)

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The '80s are the new '50s.

sunspot42 likes this.
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Eh. Not very scary. But you can't blame the make up artist. It's tough to top Tim Curries massive real-life mouth.

sunspot42 likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I decided to rewatch the original TV series. Not so bad really. The kids are all pretty great. And there are lots of good shocker scenes. The biggest mistake in the series is that they turn Seth Green into Harry Anderson, when we all know, after 20 years, Seth Green looks just like Seth Green.

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, I just finished the "IT" miniseries. Wow, talk about a rush job ending. The "spider" was actually pretty good looking for a "B-movie" monster. It could have pulled off an HP Lovecraft kind of aura if they would have shot it smarter. But the final attack... oh my god. Who was the director? Terrible action director! He made it look like they were going after a seafood buffet. Jesus! And the final bike ride. If I was the producer I would have grabbed the director by the scruff of the neck, slapped him and made him sit in the corner until I storyboarded it and then said "go out and shoot this, you dolt!" Wow, talk about blowing an ending!

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That stuff was pretty okay, though. Very Tim Burtonesque.

16. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

There will be 2 films. 4 hours.

I do like the HBO and Netflix idea. King has great short stories/novels that should be made into TV shows.

17. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Okay.....So the original T.V film was a little cheesy. But if you were of a certain age then that film holds a certain place in your heart. Almost cult status. Stand By Me/The Goonies meets horror. I appreciate that the book was far superior but if you don't take the film too seriously then it's kind of enjoyable.

Anyway.....The remake is due out this summer. If you believe the reports it is supposed to be much more sinister.

Anyone else looking forward to this one??

18. BLUESJAZZMAN

19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Having read the book and seen the 1990 film, I'll be curious to see how this new version compares.... not familiar with the director, though.

I assume the 2nd kid from the right in the above pic is supposed to be Beverly? If so, I'm not crazy about the casting choice.... it's not the right "look" for the character. (The rest of the kids look "right", though). ;)

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  20. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Does Stephen King have any direct involvement? If so, I will skip. How can you do a book like IT in a 2 hour movie?

21. BLUESJAZZMAN

With regards to the movie length I have heard that it will come in 2 parts. Part 1 when they are kids will be the first movie and will be set in the 80's. Part Two (as adults) which I assume will be released the following year will be present day. Assuming they are 2 hours per film it probably gives times to cover things. As far as I am aware SK is not involved.

The first film is called IT - Part 1 - The Losers Club. Produced by Cary Fukunaga who wrote the first season of True Detective.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Chris from Chicago likes this.
  22. BLUESJAZZMAN

Th U.S release date is 8th September

23. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Looking forward to it, yes.
    Do I have high expectations? No
    (Like everyone movie that's come out in he last 10 years)

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  24. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I wonder why don't they wait another month for the Halloween season?

Hexwood and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  25. BLUESJAZZMAN

I just have a feeling that this is gonna be a good one!! Hope i'm right but understand your concerns.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.