Pennyworth on Epix (Batman's butler Alfred prequel)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lonson, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Well, last night was the pilot episode of Pennyworth on Epic, a show chronicling the backstory of the Alfred Pennyworth character from Fox's Gotham.

I've been looking forward to this and it didn't disappoint. It's an early 'sixties period piece, set just before "swinging London," and it has the same cruising up to over the top tone that Gotham had, and nice cinematography. No one should expect high art, but it's got a spy and caper vibe that I find entertaining.

The next two episodes are available on demand and I will probably watch them before they air in the next few weeks.

Anyone else catch the premier?

[​IMG]

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

When did the notion of "badass Alfred" emerge? Seems like pretty recently that he went from stuffy guy to butt-kicker!

melstapler and Vidiot like this.
  3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'll be amazed if this one goes past it's 1st season!

4. Lonson

Well, Epix has a good track record with its original series. I'm enjoying this one, good fun.

agentalbert and marmalade166 like this.
  5. Lonson

I don't know. I haven't followed the comics since the 'seventies. But I like it.

6. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Not interested. after Gotham.. I don't care..
    except for dc animated movies.

Khorn likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think the Nolan movies hinted at a tough guy past for Alfred, but off the top of my head, I don't recall that trilogy's Alfred as involved in any fights.

The recent animated movies I've seen seem to keep "stuffy Alfred", as far as I recall.

"Gotham" really makes Alfred a bad-ass - maybe that's where the concept really took hold, after the hints from Nolan?

8. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

If this works out I'm hoping for a "Young Aunt Harriet" series.

marcb, AndyTaylor, dangiedr and 13 others like this.
  9. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

I wasn't expecting much from this show but I've been pleasantly surprised so far. The main character does a pretty good impression of a young Micheal Caine.

agentalbert, Coricama and Lonson like this.
  10. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

It was a bit of a rough start but by the end of the second episode I was looking forward to continue watching. It's got some of the same vibe as Gotham (same creators after all), but so far without the absurdities that drove me away from that show. There've been many versions of Batman, so why not Alfred?

John K.

agentalbert, Lonson and Shawn like this.
  11. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

It's a combination of things. The Batman animated show had an Alfred who had an UK spy backstory and the comics I think incorporate that now. (He's also a former stage actor and a battlefield doctor too!). The Batman:Earth One graphic novel series recast Alfred as Bruce Wayne's head of security which the Ben Affleck era Batman seen in BvS and Justice League portrayed by Jeremy Irons took that bit from. We never see him fight but it's heavily implied he's from the "Alfred Pennyworth:ass kicker" school of thought.

I think frankly it's a natural development in live action because aside from the Adam West show and the Schumacher movies ,there is virtually no Robin to be Batman's right hand in his crime fighting,so Alfred has become not only Bruce's father figure and Butler,but his crime fighting partner as well.

Personally I like it. I liked the character we saw on Gotham. He just may be my favorite live action Alfred.

12. Too many new standalone pay networks . Never heard of Epix and I pay for and watch a lot of TV.

altaeria likes this.
  13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Alfred's also been "the guy in the chair" before too, which is another great role if you're not introducing Oracle (paralyzed Barbara Gordon). Still requires him to be more than Bruce's butler.

14. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

[​IMG]
    "Do as I tell you - now - or the I'll blow the bloody doors off!"

[​IMG]
    Bad-ass Man

melstapler and EVOLVIST like this.
  15. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

That scene about how he delegated window washing duties was quite captivating.

I really look forward to the story arc about culinary school.

melstapler likes this.
  16. I've always wondered what a young Aunt Bee got up to, myself. Adventures before Mayberry. I'm sure it involved a little bootlegging action, gangsters, and perhaps a brothel.

John B Good, smilin ed and Culpa like this.
  17. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

And her moniker was “Queen Bee.”

18. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I've watched the first two episodes and am enjoying it. The medieval scenes of random guys in stocks and hanging from street lamps in cages is a weird twist though. 60's London has a pretty cool vibe without this oddball stuff. Minor annoyance though, I'll keep watching.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Howard Stern did an entire radio routine about Ain't Bee from Mayberry. Let's just say that I believe it got him a $100,000 FCC fine...

melstapler likes this.
  20. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

That's true. When Batman "died" at the end of Final Crisis (he was actually time lost in the past and was working to return to the Present), he asked Alfred (via a pre-recorded program in the Batcave Computer) to take over for him. For a time, Alfred became The Boss. However, even with Oracle in the picture there is still plenty for Alfred to do.

21. Lonson

I've kept up with this series and am enjoying it.

Scope J and Simon A like this.
  22. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I'm really enjoying this show, loving the almost steam punk aspects like airships and whatnot, plus I noticed in last week's episode the 3rd Reich had won the war, or maybe simply stopped at mainland Europe (it was mentioned on a news item on a TV someone was watching).

Also like the fact that some scenes are pretty gruesome, like showing the remains of someone's head after they took a blast from a shotgun :D

muzzer likes this.
  23. It just started running on regular TV in Canada. I quite enjoyed the first episode but I am SO sick of that damn DC turquoise color palette. Attention DC - there is a very groovy colour known as white. You might want to try it sometime.

24. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Binged through the episodes real quick. The show is alright. Not sure about the timeline they trying to show though. I thought the show took place in the 60's and they had episodes with Aleister Crowley who died in the 40's. I also think the Nazis didn't get defeated in WWII. So, they are still around in the background. Have to see if they became a bigger part of the plot.

The show is violent and the people they kill can be unexpected. Going to stick with it for the rest of the season. It is not the greatest show out right now. But, it has kept my attention. The actors are all classically trained British people. Even, the guy playing Thomas Wayne. John Ripper could use more fleshing out of his character. He could be one of the great TV villians if they do him right. They introduced him right and sort of dropped the ball since.

25. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Just have seen what I gather are the first two episodes. (It's being broadcast in Canada on Bravo).

The second episode had what seems a huge plot hole. Can anyone explain what happened?

Pennyworth tumbles into Rippers basement. But right after the commercials he is out and about with his girl. Did Pennyworth come to a deal with Ripper? Was something cut out to fit commercials in?