Pennyworth on Epix (Batman's butler Alfred prequel)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lonson, Jul 29, 2019.

1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Some fascinating femmes in this series...

agentalbert and marmalade166 like this.
  2. John B Good

The last episode I watched ( a message to the Ravens) was a little draggy, but I like the characters, and laughed at the news item that Cliff Richard was leaving The Shadows behind :)

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Well, it sure ended with a bang-up episode. ;) Wonder if it will come back? It's a big drop from over the top but I'll be there if it returns.

4. John B Good

Just watched Episode 5. Why on earth are the titles named after singers?

5. I quite enjoyed the first season, turned out better than I thought. I’m in for season 2 if there is one.

Lonson and marmalade166 like this.
  6. John B Good

Now I see where the names come from, I guess it was Cilla Black playing Baroness Orczy in the last episode I saw.

7. John B Good

This is good, the Queen is hilarious, and her uncle the Duke of Windermere and his American wife is right out of British history.

But did Sandie Shaw play someone?

8. John B Good

Well, I hope it comes out on DVD, though it looks like I may be the only one who wants it :)

Dennis Metz likes this.
  9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Watched the first ep., pretty good.

marmalade166 likes this.
  10. Unless I missed it, I don’t think Lady Penelope made an appearance even though an episode was named after her :D

[​IMG]

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

+1

12. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Showrunner Bruno Heller was at a London Comic Con and said the production crew of Pennyworth was writing for a second season. That is not confirmation of a another season. But, it signals they haven't actually been canceled yet.

13. Wayne Hubbard

Video of the full panel. The comments on a second season are at the 31 minutes.

Shawn and marmalade166 like this.
  14. Wayne Hubbard

It's official

Pennyworth Renewed for Season 2

Pennyworth has been renewed at Epix, just one month after its “explosive” freshman finale aired. The 10-episode Season 2 will commence production in the UK in January 2020, with an eye on a 2020 premiere. TVLine’s Streaming Renewal Scorecard has thusly been updated.

“Pennyworth has been a big hit for us, embraced by critics and fans alike,” Epix president Michael Wright said in a statement. “It was the highest-performing original series ever to premiere on Epix, more than doubling the viewership of the shows that came before it. Bruno Heller, Danny Cannon and WBTV have delivered a brilliant, must watch series. We can’t wait to work with this phenomenal cast and creative team on another exciting season.”

15. John B Good

This episode - was Alma Cogan even in it? Or was that her singing the song near the end?

16. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

I loved this series (though it was VERY gory in places) and for me the most interesting and unexplored/unexplained bits were the alternate history hints. I got:-

1. It’s not clear how WW2 ended but it wasn’t with the defeat of Germany in the way we know.

2. Capital punishment is still in force, with the added horror of disembowelment (massive ick).

3. The royal family is not the Windsors! The exiled Duke and Duchess are of Windermere. Plus HMQ herself is, well, no spoilers ;)

4. Aleister Crowley lives! And with a serum of youth it seems.

Timelines are fluid. This could stretch credibility and cause a Penny Dreadful type mashup car crash imho but hey it’s the comics, you’re never quite sure if it’s the 40s or the 60s.

And there were some classic locations used. That shotgun heads off (agreed, well OTT) dinner scene looked like the NED bar in the City, the cafe in about ep7 is E Pellicci, a classic east end greasy spoon thriving to this day and highly deserving of your custom, and one of the pub exteriors was the Kings Arms in Waterloo, a fine London pub.

The country pub ep was straight out of The Avengers

And Paloma Faith is superb, as is Polly Walker as her sister, both Corrie characters gone psycho.

Finally, I thought Jack Bannon’s accent was Essence of Caine, in a well-judged channelling of the quintessential 60s Lahndan film. He’s even called Alfie.

17. John B Good

Peggy and Bet, and Alfie, and their accents, are among the highlights.

18. John B Good

Well, I've made a bit of headway on my own question. Alma Cogan was a British pop-star from pre-Beatles days, and it must be her singing "Bring Me Sunshine" towards the end of the episode.

I haven't found it yet on You Tube, but will check in the music forum whether anyone can point me to a cd of hers that might contain the song. Apparently John Lennon and Alma actually became friends before she died in 1966 at a young age.

Along with other obscure-to-many references, I wonder if the clever writers ever thought of including a Christine Keeler twist to this Pennyworth series?

19. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Aren’t the last 5 eps each named after 60s female singers? I think Morrissey was a fan of Alma Cogan, not Coogan as IMDb has it. Last 6 eps in fact. And iconic 60s women. God bless Julie Christie. What’s the connection with the story I wonder?

20. John B Good

I read that too. In one case, was the person (Julie Christie) not actually playing in the episode?

Finding out about Alma Cogan makes me wonder if music by some of the others may have been buried in the soundtrack, or maybe cut to fit commercial in. If Marianne Faithful is in the last episode, I'm sure I will recognize her (or her songs).

I do hope the series will come to DVD.

21. John B Good

Well, I feel cheated, abused :(

No appearance, acting or singing, by Marianne Faithfull, that I could find in the season finale :realmad:

But did I hear The Clash, and The Who?

22. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

There’s allot of mod throughout. In an early episode iirc there’s a brass band playing This Is The Modern World by The Jam.

23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Awesome show:cheers:

jpelg, Paper Wizard and marmalade166 like this.
  24. John B Good

25. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Season 2 promo