Perceived band hierarchy on SHF?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crimson jon, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

I learned to capture the lightnin' shock.
    Shocked fans are rare here. ? Shocked!
    Michelle Shocked - Wikipedia

ARK, bzfgt, siebrand and 1 other person like this.
  2. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

There is one person who keeps Cliff Richard !? up there by posting himself on a thread of thousands of posts. Dedication.

lesterbangs and buxetehude like this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Monkees and Beach Boys stick out. Guess it's related to the age, gender and nationality of the majority of the members, though BB has some young Pet Sounds hipster fans :).
    McCartney is much bigger on this forum than in real life. Few people in the real world buy his new albums or care beyond his Beatles output and a few early solo albums.

4. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

dont forget dylan and presley. sinatra has a good following here too

5. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

In my early days here I was surprised to see so many punk & metal topics. Not because of the nature of the music, I had just never associated it with audiophiles (which I thought leaned more Jazz, Classical, and highly produced Pop/Rock music--i.e. Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, etc.)

What impresses me is when a post regarding a band/artist I've never even heard of gets multiple responses with people adding additional trivia and info. The musical braintrust here is phenomenal.:)

6. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

(I wish a great idol of mine, Peter Hammill, would get the same attention!)

Buddybud and Former member 30842 like this.
  7. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Percieved band hierarchy on SHF?

Souther first, then Hillman, then Furay. But they all feared Jim Gordon.:doh:

8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

i always thought they sounded like Styx. not a slight (i kind of liked styx back in the day) they had that pseudo-operatic grandiose rock kind of thing going, they have a pretty impressive following here

PhoenixWoman and DTK like this.
  9. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Joy Division & New Order get some love. As they should.

10. As to The Kinks I’m not surprised they are here—Davies sublime songwriting, the progressive growth and the fact that Ray became focused on the smaller world of England and how his experiences there related to the larger world make him an ideal choice.

The Byrds also showed progressive growth even as they personal whittled down to just McGuinn as the leader of the band and adoption of Country into their sound (a little before the curve but around the time that began to become more mainstream). Gene Clark in particular due to his involvement both with the band post as well as Hillman’s move to form The Flying Burrito Brothers (along with Gram Parsons). The splintering and off shots of the band also prompts the interest.

Outside of Pet Sounds The Beach Boys and Wilson’s brilliance as a melodic writer and use of harmonies was innovative and influenced everyone including The Beatles so I’m not surprised.

Crimson jon likes this.
  11. The commonality between Queen and 10cc is closer than Styx or any of the other bands mentioned.

12. I think The Monkees are an example of the little engine that could. A band “created” and yet managed to become “real” and who were already talented. They had to fight for legit acceptance while bands that did use s radio musicians were often accepted because they weren’t “created” by outside forces (although The Monkees were hardly the first or last band that were created by others). The Monkees became like Pinocchio— they wanted to be come real and did so and, even though they moved away from playing everything themselves, they, along with the suits at Colgems (Lester Sill) took control of their own career.

The fact that Michael Nesmith branched out and become one of the step fathers to country rock and his progressive growth as an artist also validated them. Tork’s Talent as an instrumentalist, occasional songwriter and Dolenz unique singing voice and occasional songwriting talents allowed them to expand beyond manufactured groups.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  13. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Greatest Of All Time. ;)

Wright likes this.
  14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

It’s not too late for you...

ARK, DavidD, SG47 and 6 others like this.
  15. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

That was "Wayne's World 2". But I'd agree, the use of "Bohemian" in WW was more of a joke at the time.

rod likes this.
  16. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Couldve been a good discussion of the top 10 or so bands. But. This has just degenerated into people listing all the bands in the world.

17. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

No Surprises

18. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

There's a RESIDENTS thread here....
    a sure sign of QUALITY!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  19. The Monkees thing I always saw as some doppelgänger of the Beatles' hegemony. All those Beatles' fans who couldn't go out and play sitting at home watching the .0001 version. It has died down in the last 5 years or such as has the Beatles' zealotry. It may have been supplanted somewhat by an uptick in Big Star, Badfinger, and Cheap Trick there for a bit. The Beach Boys have probably taken the biggest hit, for band that enjoyed massive 90s onward revisionism, and now a recent poll here shows quite a drop.

Celebrated Summer likes this.
  20. i love love more than you love love

Aftermath and lemonade kid like this.
  21. a band i never got into

Aftermath likes this.
  22. they had something to prove to others and themselves headquarters did the job on both

23. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

Not to put too fine a point on it ,but looking at the results up to press , I'd guess there's a lot of us , nearer the end , than the beginning.

DTK likes this.
  24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

What surprises me are Kiss, Rush and the Monkees. Just my opinion of course.

SteveM and DTK like this.
  25. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

You cannot stop the inevitable!
    Lower those expectations, sillybilly.

sewerdog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.